August Althing Ballot

Forum for info about WM Althings, elections, questions about the Kingdom, etc.

August Althing Ballot

Postby Laoric » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:16 pm

Hello Westmarch,
I'm pleased to submit to you the ballot for August's Althing. This Althing shall be held the weekend of 8/5/17 with votes due to AZUS, via caamtgard.com, Facebook messenger, or azus_ws@yahoo.com, by 20:00 on 8/8/17. It can be found here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OV__RZbhajo26HIkQ1FJejuUI9Dk1nrwHGZjDj0QkIc/
The ballot is large and has several components. There is an item regarding the profits from Darkshore and how to disperse them. There's a request from the Circle of Knights to clarify language in the corpora, and there is a chunk of corpora amendments regarding Article VII that have been submitted by the corpora committee.
Please feel free to use this thread to discuss/ask questions about any of the items.
-Laoric
“I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less.”
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Re: August Althing Ballot

Postby Laoric » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:22 pm

This was the write up from Sir Downfall, the current Guildmaster of Knights to explain why they would like this language adjusted:

ALL THING PROPOSAL TO THE POPULACE OF WESTMARCH

Summary
This is a proposal to amend the WM Corpora of bylaws to address ambiguity on how abstention votes are handled when voting on candidates for Knighthood. This would change the wording of Article III, Section 8, part 5. This section deals specifically with how those votes are handled which is separate from Allthing votes in Article V.
The question that needs to be resolved is this: Should an abstention count as part of the total number of votes when the Circle of Knights decides on whether to approve a candidate?

Rational
Because the question is whether or not abstentions should count as a part of the voting total – both options would amend the corpora to provide further clarification. The changed wording for both options is in bold, and the word designed to make as little modification to the current wording as possible: only to provide clarification on this process.
The first option will count abstentions as a part of the voting total. The second option will not.

Current Wording
5. The Guildmaster of Knights shall conduct votes of the knights of the Kingdom to determine whether
candidates for knighthood have the approval of the Circle of Knights.
a. Approval of the Circle of Knights is determined by a vote of the active voting members of the Circle of Knights, that passes with a ⅔ majority.
b. All knights who are both Active and Voting eligible, must be consulted and vote on a candidate.
i. Any vote, even an abstention, is considered a consultation for this purpose.

Option 1: To count abstentions as a part of the voting total.
5. The Guildmaster of Knights shall conduct votes of the knights of the Kingdom to determine whether
a. Approval of the Circle of Knights is determined by a vote of the active voting members of the Circle of Knights, that passes with a ⅔ majority.
b. All knights who are both Active and Voting eligible, must be consulted for their vote on a candidate.
i. Abstentions are counted as votes as a part of the voting total.i. Abstentions are counted as votes as a part of the voting total.

Option 2: To NOT count abstentions as a part of the voting total.
b. All knights who are both Active and Voting eligible, must be consulted for their vote on a candidate.
i. Abstentions never count towards a vote outcome except to meet quorum
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Laoric » Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:22 pm

For clarity on the Darkshore question, the total profit from Darkshore was approximately $1,500, well in excess of the $200 cap the corpora sets. Fiks has asked that the entirety of the profits stay with Darkshore, as he worked very hard to see the event's legacy stay positive.
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Collin the Red » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:10 pm

I do agree with more than the $200 being able to stay in the event fund, I think that some of the profit should stay with DS but Westmarch having expenses and other events needing support, some of the profits should shared back to the general fund. Darkshore is a great asset to Westmarch, but it is not its own entity. That income could become taxable if our total income is over the limit in a given tax year. My suggestion below could be modified to 25/75 (75 to DS) but some of the profit should be given to Westmarch to do with as needed by the Kingdom. And this goes for ALL Kingdom funded events with allocated funds.

I propose that Event profits should be split as follows:
First $200 stays with the event.
Any additional funds should be split 50/50 with the general fund.

i.e. in this year's DS situation $850 will stay with Darkshore, $650 going to the general fund.
Baron Collin MacAbee current King of Westmarch
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Postby Laoric » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:36 pm

That's a decent idea for sure. I don't know that the Westmarch general fund will need to be tapped for events much going forward (barring an event losing money like fast FoM). Westmarch's annual expenses are pretty tiny. I can probably live off tithes income every year, to be honest.
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby ravenb » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:09 am

So then that would mean we vote no on this item as presented here, and it would comeback around in September with the 50:50 split?
ravenb

Postby Collin the Red » Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:18 am

Unless a second item with a split of profits is add very soon.
Baron Collin MacAbee current King of Westmarch
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Postby Laoric » Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:29 am

I would say that you would be better off voting against the corpora amendment about event profits and then propose a Collin's change to replace that section. Otherwise you'd have to have this vote over and over again. :)
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Laoric » Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:51 am

The ballot has been amended to include the request by Clockwork Spires to become a sponsored chapter. This item has a delay option as it did not get added to the ballot with one month notice.
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Azus » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:59 pm

bump and reminder!

Althing this weekend! However instead of sending your land's votes to Laoric, they are due to myself. Same deadline, to keep things easy, by 8pm Tuesday 8/8/17.

So you don't have to scroll up, the ballot is here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OV__RZbhajo26HIkQ1FJejuUI9Dk1nrwHGZjDj0QkIc/edit
Azus

Return to Important Westmarch Issues