Corpora change suggestion...

Forum for info about WM Althings, elections, questions about the Kingdom, etc.

Corpora change suggestion...

Postby Azus » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:31 am

Oh, that bit in the audits about advertising... Over the years, I had seen different people with different interpretations, and it keeps causing troubles with audits. Last time Colin the Red and I put out a proposal to clarify that section, it failed - but seeing how issues keep arising, it's time for another attempt!

Our Queen Bee and I have bounced a couple ideas around for a corpora change to clarify this, here's what we've got:

Article IX section2.2.a.ii
current section wrote:Proof​ ​ of​ ​ advertising​ ​ their​ ​ chapter,​ ​ such​ ​ as​ ​ a​ ​ flyer​ ​ for​ ​ a​ ​ demo.

proposed amendment wrote:Proof of advertising activities for their chapter, such as a posted flyer, actively participating in a local demo, a recruitment based web ad such as Craigslist or Meetup.

It's still a bit short, I kinda prefer really spelling out more of what counts and what doesn't - but that didn't work last go!

Thoughts? Alternate proposals?
Azus

Re: Corpora change suggestion...

Postby Fiks » Sun Aug 27, 2017 10:42 am

I feel like it keeps being a problem because members of the board keep trying to make it mean more than it needs to. We have been interpreting the requirement above and beyond what the corpora says. I made up my mind last couple of times it has come up that I would express disagreement with that interpretation and that I will continue to do so. We don't need to make the audits more onerous.

Above you have given suggestions of what activities could be done to recruit but still haven't better defined "proof." That is the word that keeps come up for interpretation.
"How harmful overspecialization is. It cuts knowledge at a million points and leaves it bleeding."—Hari Seldon
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people. Bonk!
Fiks

Re: Corpora change suggestion...

Postby ravenb » Sat Sep 02, 2017 8:01 pm

In reading through the extensive and passionately thoughtful comments in the FB thread, I think the ambiguity lies in the word "proof". A couple people made suggestions consisting of more of a detailed list of options, and that "proof" means that they need to show these materials are being actively used to recruit new members.
Then a few people expressed "doubt" about "how important is this really" is determining a healthy, functioning, financially autonomous land. Maybe "proof" is reflected more in the numbers and meeting attendance requirements, and not so much importance should be given to the details of advertising presentations.
I suggest we discuss this at the next BOD meeting, and maybe make a suggestion to the Corpora committee on what we feel would clarify "proof", and determine how much relative importance advertising is compared to the other facets of the audit, i.e. put it into an agreed upon perspective and then move on.
I do suggest that we have a clear representation of "advertising" that is communicated to the lands well before the audits are in process.
ravenb

Return to Important Westmarch Issues