Discussion on Year Long Kingdom Monarchy Terms

Forum for info about WM Althings, elections, questions about the Kingdom, etc.

Discussion on Year Long Kingdom Monarchy Terms

Postby ElSpeth Sharrisselva » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:36 pm

Good evening. There’s something I’d like to discuss with you. This is a long post so please bear with me on it. I’ll do my best not to ramble.

A bit of context: At Gathering of the Clans last month, I talked with several monarchs whose kingdoms have moved to year long terms for monarchy. Several others of us from Westmarch came back with similar conversations with other players. I’m interested in seeing if this is something Westmarch wants to consider.

Parameters: This is for kingdom level monarchy only so local lands remain bi-yearly as they are now. Crown points for a year long term are double those of a six month term. Whether we want it to be a single term or allow for a second term is something we’d have to hash out.

One monarch said his kingdom went to year long terms because they were having difficulties getting anyone to run for office. It served as a good solution for them. Pros included being able to complete projects (like this fundraising thing and the crown point conversion we’re dealing with now) before handing it off to another officer. Banks are happier with fewer signature changes. Terms can begin/end at a point where the new officer isn’t coming in during tax month or audit time. The BoD has fewer changes in membership per year so there’s less catch up time. Cons included struggles to complete the term for someone who isn’t well suited to the position or who starts their term already bordering burn out. Struggling officers can resign if need be…just as they can now. Overall, my impression is the kingdoms already doing year terms are pretty happy with it.

Personally, I think PM is the position which a year term would benefit most.

Now, for what I’d like to see on this. I plan to run for monarch again so I can see the fundraising thing going full swing, complete the crown point conversions and subsequent awards, and see through the corpora revision committee tasks. I DO NOT propose the year terms in an attempt to extend my own reign. I propose, should y’all want this, to put it on the October or November kingdom althing for vote. Should it be voted in, then the year terms begin with PM in the Spring 2020 and with the other monarchy positions (monarch, regent, champion, GMR) at Darkshore 2020 when the summer reign takes over. This puts coronation every Darkshore month (whether at the event or not) and midreign every Feast of Mars (ish).

An important thing we also must consider is what to do with fighting tourneys and A&S. We definitely don’t want to cut down on the number of competitions we have each year since that’s where so many go for tourney wins and potential awards. (Yes, I know awards can be given outside of competition and should be encouraged beyond for competitions but that’s a different discussion than this one.) What the other kingdoms do is have either spring and fall OR summer and winter weaponmaster/dragonmasters so there’s still two per year. So potentially our weaponmaster/dragonmasters would be late summer and winter. Then a third with some other name takes the place of where crown quals would’ve been for 6 month terms. The actual crown qualifications remains crown qualifications. Hydras can still be earned at the third competitive (ie non weaponmaster/dragonmaster) day and normally at crown qualifications.

So, let me know your thoughts. Discuss it with your lands and get their feedback to me. Would a survey be helpful? I can definitely create one.

Pharoah ElSpetshepsuth
ElSpeth Sharrisselva

Re: Discussion on Year Long Kingdom Monarchy Terms

Postby Vidya » Tue Oct 22, 2019 3:41 pm

I am definitely more in favor of a longer term. I definitely enjoy back to back reign themes as well like the Legend of the Five Rings reign. It helps people have more time to work on bigger themed reign projects.

From an officer stand point I definitely think it would be nice for those who are trying to institute changes and that way it will have more time to become accepted. I know our park seems to do better when people run a second term if their first one introduced something new.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
Vidya

Return to Important Westmarch Issues