Warlord sports swords

Discussion/Information about the Duchy of Siar Geata

Moderators: LucasTheLost, Scoot, Scorch Flamedancer

Re: Warlord sports swords

Postby Scorch Flamedancer » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:40 pm

Warlord weapons for average park days is most definitely a bad idea considering the wide open spaces and unfamiliar faces that just sort of melt into the background with swords behind their backs. But Faire might not be a bad idea, especially with uniform heraldry covers. Every guild there knows Amtgard and our heraldry, and considering that the opening to the fighting field is sealed off besides the one entrance and even that's more or less guarded by other Amtgarders and parents that won't let their kids walk off with them.

I don't know. I think it's worth considering. Though Fuzzy just offered to take care of any weapon construction we may need for faire or average loaners (in construction, not financially).
My body is my sword, my mind is my blade. Without them, I would be nothing.
Scorch Flamedancer

Postby Randy » Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:13 pm

jamesward wrote:that kind of swords is very unique , by the way Im new on this forum, and i would like to see some photos of your swords!!!

? who are you talking to?
Randy

Postby tyrsredritehand » Fri Mar 29, 2013 7:49 pm

Acquiring more durable loaners is a good idea, however instead of buying completed swords I believe with a few small changes we can produce better swords. Why pay Warlord Sports to make swords when we can use our knowledge and labor.
1. Stop buying substandard foam from wal-mart.
A. Instead we can buy more durable noodle from Leslie's Pool Supply, $1.99 (59'' length), or Drillspot from Warlord Sports, $8.00 (24'' length).
2. Build all loaners to the same standard.
B. No air gaps in the tips, no pvc or bamboo cores, use low cost golf shafts, use strapping tape instead of packing tape for strength.
3. Reduce the chance of loaners walking off.
C. Loaners covered in neon yellow or neon green covers with loaner written on the length in large letters. Have an officer be responsible for loaners, counting swords at the beginning of every park day, after each battle game, and at the end of the day.
These are just some thoughts, and can be used as a starting point or improved upon.

-Levi
aka Holrothi
tyrsredritehand

Postby Randy » Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:31 am

tyrsredritehand wrote:Acquiring more durable loaners is a good idea, however instead of buying completed swords I believe with a few small changes we can produce better swords. Why pay Warlord Sports to make swords when we can use our knowledge and labor.
1. Stop buying substandard foam from wal-mart.
A. Instead we can buy more durable noodle from Leslie's Pool Supply, $1.99 (59'' length), or Drillspot from Warlord Sports, $8.00 (24'' length).
2. Build all loaners to the same standard.
B. No air gaps in the tips, no pvc or bamboo cores, use low cost golf shafts, use strapping tape instead of packing tape for strength.
3. Reduce the chance of loaners walking off.
C. Loaners covered in neon yellow or neon green covers with loaner written on the length in large letters. Have an officer be responsible for loaners, counting swords at the beginning of every park day, after each battle game, and at the end of the day.

1. noodle is crap, it has never been meant as a long lasting foam. Its great if you need a weapon in a pinch, or don't remind replacing it every couple of weeks. For faire, I wouldn't recommend it, unless your okay with replacing them before every faire. The last faire I attended, Rangor and I brought extra noodle just to keep enough weapons on the field. Walmart campad rolled around a non-tapered core would last 100x longer and be nearly as light.

2. I fully agree. Since they are loaners, you can get away with 1/2 inch (PVC scheduled 80) at around 32". Sure they are shorter than the average weapon, but that creates an incentive to make your own shit. ;-) Another not so cheap but long term option would be to buy .606 cores and use them. I believe for loaners, the PVC is superior.

3. neon colors are bad for business. Most people consider foam fighting silly, making neon sword covers removes all doubt. What I recommend is a solid gray or blue cover. If they are all the same, maybe with numbered pommels, then you can track them much easier. Also, creating a loaner bag that can be easily transported/inventoried would make things much easier. IT is the responsibility of the Champion to maintain the loaners.
Randy

Postby Scorch Flamedancer » Sun Mar 31, 2013 6:15 pm

Just to add, I've made 11 loaner swords and 4 daggers with my husband in preparation for faire and park use. So... yeah...
Scorch Flamedancer

Postby Randy » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:52 pm

Karissa D'ann wrote:Just to add, I've made 11 loaner swords and 4 daggers with my husband in preparation for faire and park use. So... yeah...

You forgot to mention the flavor of cookie you would like
Randy

Postby Scorch Flamedancer » Mon Apr 01, 2013 12:28 am

lol My point was we don't need to worry about loaner swords until this set breaks down.
Scorch Flamedancer

Postby Randy » Sat Apr 06, 2013 6:54 pm

bertzlee wrote:The value in examining these differences is that it teaches us to understand our boards even better in both games. Since sword and shield is the most common weapon set up in Amtgard and even more so in Belegarth, that’s always valuable.

What?
Randy

Postby Fiks » Mon Apr 08, 2013 2:37 pm

I'm kinda leaning towards that account being an advertisement worker/bot. Impressive keyword work if so. Almost made sense.

edit: Scratch that. Philippines IP address. Convinced well enough it's spam.
"How harmful overspecialization is. It cuts knowledge at a million points and leaves it bleeding."—Hari Seldon
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people. Bonk!
Fiks

Postby Collin the Red » Mon Apr 08, 2013 3:21 pm

Go-Go-Gadget-Moderator!
:mrgreen:
Baron Collin MacAbee current King of Westmarch
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Previous

Return to Duchy of Siar Geata - Oceanside, CA