Warlord sports swords

Discussion/Information about the Duchy of Siar Geata

Moderators: LucasTheLost, Scoot, Scorch Flamedancer

Warlord sports swords

Postby dieterbron » Tue May 01, 2012 11:16 am

So after discussion with some people who were on the field this weekend, I would like to put forward a motion to start a fundraiser with the intention of buying some warlord sports Swords. The cost benefit would be substantial. We spend quite a bit of money, making "disposable" loaners for faire every year, and we end up replacing them. Though they cost us only a few dollars per weapon, we replace them every weekend.

I propose we get together and start a fund raiser to purchase a bulk order of (34" tough swords at 30.00.) I have a feeling if we were to place a bulk order of say, 10 or more sticks we could possibly get a discount. The blades would be safer, we could make them distinctive i.e. matching sword covers with the coat of arms on them. If you have noticed the blades that Lucas the lost has, they last for a LONG LONG time.

Just a thought
Ich gebe nicht einen Fluch!
Herr Dieter Bron Von Boneschvinger
dieterbron

Re: Warlord sports swords

Postby Randy » Tue May 01, 2012 1:32 pm

You might want to make sure they are still available for order. The company all but shut down last year.
Randy

Postby Belgarin » Tue May 01, 2012 1:44 pm

Let me know what you need. I can take of this for you.
Belgarin
High Priest of the Chosen
GCA #31
Belgarin

Postby Nico [xD] » Tue May 01, 2012 8:37 pm

The thing you might want to consider is you can still lose a sword, even if it will probably never break. And if these are swords you're going to be giving to other people it's definitely a factor to think about
Disregard whatever i just said.

Nico, bunny enthusiast of the Barony of Siar Geata.
Nico [xD]

Postby Randy » Tue May 01, 2012 9:34 pm

To expound on what Nico said, I personally donated over 100 swords in the 3 years I was around you guys. I don't think anyone can account for them now. Swords walk off all the time, especially good loaners. accidently and on purpose.

A better bet would be to build a pool of loaners that aren't likely to break down between faires. But also don't cost $30. I designed some loaners that last a few years of heavy fighting that are right up your guys alley. .505 cores that use 1/4" rolled foam that can be bought at the UFO upholstery fabric stores in and around san diego. (don't get the 1/2"). Stored properly, you could make swords that would last several faires and might still be usable as loaners for the park. all at an initial cost of $8 a sword. As always buying the cores is the biggest expense.
Randy

Postby Belgarin » Wed May 02, 2012 4:34 am

Randy's plan is much better than buying $35 loaner swords.
Belgarin
High Priest of the Chosen
GCA #31
Belgarin

Postby Collin the Red » Wed May 02, 2012 7:43 am

Also, if you use bright aweful colors for the covers, they are easy to spot on the field, less likely to walk off, and might even embarass the users in to making their own. We in TR use a bright orange and the palmals have the word "Loaner" on them.
Baron Collin MacAbee current King of Westmarch
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Postby dieterbron » Wed May 02, 2012 10:28 am

Thanks eRandy, I hadn't thought about getting foam from a UFO. How do you cap the core off, and how do you secure the foam to the core?

I appreciate all the input from everyone, I really didn't feel like trying to pay for all those swords, as nice as they are.
dieterbron

Postby Randy » Wed May 02, 2012 2:23 pm

Take your .505 core. Cut it to size. Using around a 1/2" wide 2 inch long stip of foam and medium strength clear plastic tape, create what is commonly known as a biscuit. You tape 1" of the foam onto the core and allow the other inch to cover the tip of the core. Torque wrapping the foam in both directions. This should create a semi-firm foam insert between the core and what will become your stab tip.

Then using the camp pad-esque foam at UFO, (remember 1/4" not 1/2" thickness) and either DAP contact cement OR super 77 (DAP is preferable), you cut the foam to desired striking edge length. Tape the edge of the core to the edge of the foam and tightly roll the foam until the diameter of your weapon is 2.6". Then using a straight edge, cut what will become the width of the foam at a 45 degree bevel (bevel towards the core) along the length. Unroll, and add Dap/super 77 to what is the inside of the foam. Again tightly roll the foam around the core. Using plastic tape, add a four lines of horizontal tape on the bottom, middle, and top of the weapon. At this point I generally wait a week for the glue to dry, not required but its what I do. Using 3/4" yoga mat, cut into 2.6" diameter circles as your stab tip and clear plastic tape to secure the tip and protect the foam along the striking edge. Finally add a good cover and build your handle/pommel appropriately.
Randy

Postby Nico [xD] » Wed May 02, 2012 3:56 pm

I bet we can account for some of those swords still, Randy. And besides, we have that huge loner bag that's brought out to the park weekly, still. One of the reasons you might not see some of those swords anymore is because we never really need more than that bag for walk ons. Faire, however, is another matter entirely.

Hopefully we'll take better care of them in the future, however we shouldn't plan thinking we'll change.
Disregard whatever i just said.

Nico, bunny enthusiast of the Barony of Siar Geata.
Nico [xD]

Postby Miles » Tue May 08, 2012 10:53 pm

For what it's worth, Brennon recently posted on e-Sam that WLS' website is up and running, so these weapons are certainly available. That said, I definitely agree that using them as Faire loaners would be a terrible idea in that they would walk off, despite being excellent tech. I would not want to take place in such a fundraiser simply because I wouldn't want to feel like I was throwing money away.

So I'm glad we decided to do otherwise. Our stock of loaner weapons at Faire did seem workable, and I'm glad it all went as well as it did. (:
Thanks, too, to the many foamsmiths involved in ensuring our visitors had sticks to swing.
Inspiration. Exuberance. Synergy. ~
Miles

Postby Woodstock » Tue May 15, 2012 10:09 pm

It might be a good idea for our officers to have Warlord blades with the heraldry colors. Just a thought.
Judge Woodstock PiPants
Village Idiot of Siar Geata.
Woodstock

Postby Randy » Tue May 15, 2012 10:10 pm

Woodstock wrote:It might be a good idea for our officers to have Warlord blades with the heraldry colors. Just a thought.

why would that be a good idea?
Randy

Postby dieterbron » Tue May 22, 2012 1:09 pm

While I do appreciate the help and time that many people gave to make loaners, in the future we need to have a 'class' for those who wish to make swords. We had several catastrophic blowouts that were a result of poor sword making techniques. Course I really shouldn't be talking, I wasn't there to make the darned things....
dieterbron

Postby Randy » Tue May 22, 2012 9:41 pm

dieterbron wrote:While I do appreciate the help and time that many people gave to make loaners, in the future we need to have a 'class' for those who wish to make swords. We had several catastrophic blowouts that were a result of poor sword making techniques. Course I really shouldn't be talking, I wasn't there to make the darned things....

Let me know when you would like the class taught and I can arrange the travel. I would suggest gathering the materials for each person, and ofcourse letting me know what type of swords you would like to make.
Randy

Next

Return to Duchy of Siar Geata - Oceanside, CA