Materials

Discussion/Information about the Shire of Nymyr's Sanctum

Materials

Postby Synisterr » Wed Nov 18, 2009 5:56 pm

Looking for some tips on where to acquire some foam and bamboo for cores. Tried a few stores, no luck thus far.

aka Kael
"Faugh a Ballaugh!"

"I'm part of the siege weapon."
Synisterr

Re: Materials

Postby Jangular » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:02 pm

I get my bamboo from the osh on Branham and Almaden, you can also get the ensolite, or pipe insulation there in the 2.5 inch thickness, which will cost a few bucks for a 6 foot tube or so, and bamboo there is like 4-5 bucks for a 5 foot piece, make sure you get a piece that doesn't have cracks and just generally looks in good condition. Then we generally use packing tape to cover the foam with, which you can get at office depot, maybe at osh as well, not sure, and if you go to big5 you can get a sheet of camp pad for 10 bucks which will provide you with a ton of foam for either capping your swords, or making a shield with etc, I'm prolly forgetting some stuff atm, but yeah, basic stuff.

Jangular

Postby Synisterr » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:15 pm

Got a camp pad at Walmart, but was a little confused on what kind of adhesive to use, picked some up today that I hope works....
aka Kael
"Faugh a Ballaugh!"

Synisterr

Postby Jangular » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:31 pm

everyone else pretty much uses dap contact cement as far as I know, though I use 3m super 77 spray adhesive on my stuff, which you can get at home depot, and you don't have to wait as long for it to get tacky like dap

edit for failing to name the spray right
Last edited by Jangular on Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jangular

Postby Aurel Von Slade » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:42 pm

Jangular wrote:everyone else pretty much uses dap contact cement as far as I know, though I use 77m spray adhesive on my stuff, which you can get at home depot, and you don't have to wait as long for it to get tacky like dap

That sounds like it should be a rap song.
"Banana Check!"
Aurel Von Slade

Postby Synisterr » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:12 pm

Funny, I was at a diff Osh today and they didn't have bamboo. The sword I already have is made from pipe insulation and pvc pipe, yet it seems to be twice as heavy as most other peoples weps. Does the core make THAT much of a weight diff?
aka Kael
"Faugh a Ballaugh!"

Synisterr

Postby Jangular » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:21 pm

It really does make a huge difference, I'd recommend if you can't find bamboo go to a goodwill store and get a graphite driver and cut the head off then cut it down to the size you want for your sword, ad some camp pad to it in sections to reduce rattling and preserve the foam, then add the foam and you'll feel a huge difference.

Jangular

Postby Aurel Von Slade » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:39 pm

Yeah, the majority of swords we have on the field are old (sometimes new) graphite golf clubs with the heads taken off. In fact, that's exactly what the sword I use is.
"Banana Check!"
Aurel Von Slade

Postby Jangular » Wed Nov 18, 2009 8:55 pm

I've actually got swords with pvc cores, bamboo cores, graphite cores, and kitespar cores, so if you want on Sunday you can see the difference between each if you want, really though, the difference between graphite and kitespar is almost non existant

Jangular

Return to Shire of Nymyr's Sanctum - Santa Clara, CA