Reeve's Tests

Discussion/Information about the Duchy of Crimson Wood

Moderators: Drenth, bill the nun

Reeve's Tests

Postby Miles » Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:46 pm

Hello, fair denizens!

As I mentioned at our mini-Althing this last weekend, our land is in sore need of more exam-qualified Reeves (evidently we only have two, at the moment). Reeving, after all, is a great way to give back to this land we love, as well as to reduce the burden on the Monarchy of planning, running and reeving the games that we all enjoy--and your preparations for the examination will also enhance your working knowledge of the rules of play.

I have created Reeve's tests, in my custom, that generally emphasize one area of Amtgard more than others, so as to ensure that you are well-rounded in not only the area you play, but also in the other facets of our rich and engaging game. If you are interested in taking a Reeve's test, please make every effort to contact me at least by the night before our field days, so that I can have an extra copy of an exam suitable for you on hand. I will attempt to have copies of all exam forms on hand, but in the event that more than one person with your general experience background wants to test on the same day as you, I may have to ask you to wait until the next week, when I can have an additional copy ready for you.
The tests are all about 1.5 pages (if you include the space for responses), plus 2-3 questions that are purely for extra credit and explore more arcane details of your native area of expertise (as well as some extra credit points mingled into the main body of the exam). My experience in using these exams in Siar Geata has shown that those who really are familiar with the rules tend to pass with flying colors, (scores for passing Reeves were typically in the area of 85-105%; 75% is the minimum allowable), while those who need more experience or review tend to drop well below the passing grade--suggesting that the exams are useful and accurate in determining who has enough rulebook familiarity to begin practical Reeving. Bear in mind that all sections of the Rulebook are fair game for the exam, though information superfluous for field use (such as what page information appears on) will not be tested. The exam is closed-book and in short-answer format.

There are some benefits to becoming a Reeve, as well! To wit:
-Enjoy the respect of your comrades as you help them enjoy a safer, more fluid battlegame experience
-Educate your peers in areas of common confusion, as well as in rules and combat disputes
-Reeve exciting events, such as our tournaments and quests, as well as those at inter-land events
-Have a hand in playtesting and designing concept classes, games, and monsters
-Be eligible for office in the next reign (Reeve qualification is a requirement for running for office!)
-Experience the satisfaction of knowing you're making your land a better place and serving your friends and comrades
-Perform well over time and be eligible for Orders and other awards, including personalized Reeve sashes, Masterhood in Reeving, and the prestigious Walker of the Middle title

Bear in mind that if you are Reeve-qualified, you will be expected and asked to Reeve on occasion, but the more Reeves we have, the less often this will be necessary. A land of any size should have at least one Reeve at every field function, and some of our more complicated and large battlegames easily merit two or more.
I also have generic Reeve sashes available for borrowing, in case you do not have one of your own. Though making your own sash is encouraged, I will not let a lack of one stand in the way of your Reeving experience! You also do not have to be dues-paid to be a Reeve (unless you intend to vote in Reeves' Guild matters), and no other special equipment is necessary.

So, I look forward to hearing from those of you who are interested, soon. I will be announcing the matter at the field again as well, as I realize not everyone reads the forums or was present last week, so please humor my repetition. (:

Cheers,
-Miles,
GMR Pro Tempore, Crimson Wood
Inspiration. Exuberance. Synergy. ~
Miles

Re: Reeve's Tests

Postby hx239 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:51 pm

Having more reeves on the field would really be a good thing. I know I had to rely on Niv for most of our reeving needs last reign, and there were several battlegames that would have been better/ more involved if there had been more reeve capable people. Even if you don't want to reeve, its a great way to learn the rules. This benefits you greatly since you will be more prepared when facing a druid on the field, or not standing there wondering whats happening if someone starts reciting a poem at you.
~ cassidy
hx239

Postby Miles » Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:38 pm

I would like to take the moment to congratulate Sir Blackthorn and Man-at-Arms Stone on their successful completion of the Reeve examination! Expect to be seeing both of them wearing a gold sash and making you dead (or occasionally alive) with much greater frequency in the near future. Perhaps I'll actually get to play Bard again this reign...

I would like to also continue to encourage our more experienced players to rise to the occasion and do the same, so as to further serve and lead our players in enjoying a fun, safe, and fair time on the field. Remember, you don't have to be dues-paid--all it takes is one little test!

So stand up and join the Guild of Reeves--come December, you'll even get to vote on who will replace me! Won't that be swell? :D
Miles

Postby Stone » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:37 pm

I'll get out and get some gold for Reeve sashes this week.
The Fightin' Flurb

http://www.amtwiki.org/amtwiki/index.php/Stone

Azus wrote:"The sun rose, Stone got muddy, and the birds were scared by the roaring"
Stone

Postby Miles » Sat Oct 22, 2011 3:46 pm

Please join me in congratulating and welcoming Prometheus and Lord Groo as the newest members of the Reeve's Guild! As our ranks continue to grow, we can look forward to a diversity of Reeves serving as we all enjoy Crimson Wood's excellent field days. Huzzah, gentlemen!
Miles

Return to Duchy of Crimson Wood - Rohnert Park, CA