Sebastopol Ren Faire '11

Discussion/Information about the Duchy of Crimson Wood

Moderators: Drenth, bill the nun

Sebastopol Ren Faire '11

Postby Miles » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:30 pm

So I saw a sign for the upcoming Sebastopol mini-Faire up in Rohnert Park a few days ago, and figure that if they're already publicizing the event, we should probably be figuring out what we'll be doing (if anything), too.

http://muchado.sebastopolschools.org/

With our recent coverage in the Press Democrat, this might be a riper-than-usual opportunity for recruitment--people who see us will be reminded of the peculiar article in the paper and have their curiosities piqued. With the recent stipulation by the Circle of Monarchs that Westmarch start having 75 people in one location at least once a month, we can always do with more numbers on hand--and this could be a way to help make it happen.

UPDATE: We're going. Yay!

That is to say, those of us who can/will make it and buy tickets will go. It's $10 for each person who is 15 or up and $5 for each 6-14-year-old. I'm told they don't take C-Dubs, but perhaps you can bribe someone with them to pay your admission...
The plan is to meet at E-Park at 11 o'clock (don't be late; the Faire starts at 10 so we'll be a bit late for the party to begin with) to alert the people who don't read these forums (despite our many insistences), organize rides if necessary, share fliers, and plan our attack, so to speak. I'm going to see if they'll allow us to bring our foam weapons, but the standing "no weapons please" policy likely will extend to even our weapons, so plan on leaving your weapons at home/in your vehicles. However, bring all the (safe, well-maintained, good-looking) spell-balls you have, as I'm sure our having spell-ball duels will be acceptable, if we find a good spot.
Without our weapons, we will have to rely on appearance, actions, fliers, and numbers to make ourselves known and to make our attempts at recruitment as much of a success as possible. Bring and wear as much of your most excellent garb as you can. Strive for complete head-to-toe garb-wearing, if at all reasonably possible. If you're in the Ducal Guard, wear your guard tunics. If you're in a fighting company or household and don't have nicer court garb, absolutely rock that company tabard. Wear a class sash so people wonder we all have one, and any other class accoutrements you might use. Put on those belt favors, too. If you have garb-suitable shoes and/or pants, be sure to wear them as well--nothing takes the wind out of your period sails like "bottomless" garb. (Pirate boots and moccasins are great options.)

The other thing you'll need to bring: excellent attitude. Whether you've been to twenty Ren Faires or zero, we are guests at an event that is not our own. We are attempting to use the venue they have put together to not only have a good time, but also to show other people that we're neat and that they should at least pay us a visit--you are our ambassadors and we need to put our best feet forward. Do not get uppity or cross with other groups or even random mundane visitors, and if people make fun of your costumes (which is rare; most people actually find them neat), just laugh and let it slide--you'll likely never see them again anyway.

I've not been to this Faire before, and it's on the small side, so there's no telling what kind of variety the vendors might have. Still, I'd suggest bringing cash of your own, as credit and checks are not always accepted at these events, and while mobile ATMs are often nearby, they frequently charge sizable fees to let you get at your own money--best to come prepared, in case you happen to find that one neat thing you didn't know you couldn't live without (a common occurrence for Faire-goers). I've also heard something about the use of "pseudo-cash" tickets that you buy for use inside the Faire, but I'm afraid I don't know more than that as of yet. Still, bring real cash if possible, and ensure you have somewhere to keep it safe on your person while wearing your garb. (Or get someone you know who's not in garb to be your money-keeper--that often also works.)

That's all for now! See you guys at E-Park Saturday, and we'll get this Faireapalooza in motion!
Last edited by Miles on Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Inspiration. Exuberance. Synergy. ~
Miles

Re: Sebastopol Ren Faire '11

Postby GALE StrongHammer » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:57 pm

Sounds like fun!
I'm with Miles, let's do this!
"Just because I can't do it today, doesn't mean I'm not going to be able to do it someday."
GALE StrongHammer

Postby Miles » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:49 pm

Bumped to reflect update to the OP.

Feel free to use this thread to begin planning rides, let us know if you're planning to come along, ask questions, etc.
Also, if anyone has/wants to make recruitment fliers for the event, let me know--I've started my new job this week and don't know if I'll get to make it to a copy shop in between driving to St. Helena and back every day.
Additionally, for the record, there will be a park day at E-Park as well, for those who can't/don't wish to attend this event. People will be free to leave the Ren Faire at any time they like, so it is entirely possible to cruise the Faire for a while, make a decent appearance, and then return to E-Park for some fighting. (This may end up being ideal, as small Faires often become less interesting more quickly.) However, the reverse order is not advisable, as many of our people may have left by the time events at E-Park finish up.
Inspiration. Exuberance. Synergy. ~
Miles

Postby Water Hammer » Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:48 am

Alright artists, get me a flyer. I can print, but have little artistic ability. Shoudl have website, meet up time, park location, CrimsonWood on it, maybe photos or artwork.

Challenge. :D
Baronet Water Hammer, Stalwart of Crimsonwood
Crimsonwood Rocks!!! I am humbled by your friendships.
Amtgard is the greatest thing my kids ever dragged me into.
Water Hammer

Postby Garlock » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:11 pm

This event sounds great, I will be there! (hopes for others to come as well) ok see you guys until then!
*picks up sword* "This is the sword that will pierce the heaven's!!."
Garlock

Return to Duchy of Crimson Wood - Rohnert Park, CA