Sun April 1st

Discussion/Information about the Duchy of Crimson Wood

Moderators: Drenth, bill the nun

Sun April 1st

Postby Niveus » Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:05 am

Hey, who would be up to go play some bell on sun?? Rincon valley. Let go play nice with our neighbors.
Baronet Niveus Esq.
Squired to Sir Nakita
Niveus

Re: Sun April 1st

Postby Drenth » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:18 pm

Niveus wrote:Hey, who would be up to go play some bell on sun?? Rincon valley. Let go play nice with our neighbors.

Come shield bash some children!
Odinmadr
Drenth

Postby Prometheus » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:46 pm

im in!!
If at first you don't succeed,
destory all evidence that you ever tried.
Prometheus

Postby Niveus » Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:41 pm

Bel Report,

Bear, Norm, Anarcho, Anarcho's friend, (Drenth and Valleth came out for 10 mins) and I went to visit our local Bel group today. The park fielded 7 players. The day started out great, some sparing and then warlord and ditching. Then some of the core group showed up late. At this point the normal Jockoracy centered, Testosterone driven, part of Bel started to surface. During a bear pit, the only "Good" Shot/Huzzah encouragement we heard was when a player smashed someone hard, or blew off a couple of light hits and made a solid contact with his shield/sword/body. While I don't mind a little of aggressiveness, I much prefer Amtgards encouragement of the technical rather then the brute force.

The day ended with much talk of continuing cross gaming and the hope that Sonoma county can continue to support both parks. Next week we should see some new people.
Baronet Niveus Esq.
Squired to Sir Nakita
Niveus

Postby Randy » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:51 pm

Remember light is not a relative term. In bel if the shot doesn't make you wince, it wasn't hard enough.
Randy

Postby Juggernaut » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:13 pm

Thanks for coming out! Sorry we were an hour late :( Looking forward to fighting with you folks again. Next time I will bring the battle book and we will do some of the the more interesting battle scenarios. Looking forward to coming and checking you all out. Hopefully next time the field will be a little more dry.

Best,

Juggernaut
Juggernaut

Postby Baernoir » Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:27 pm

Despite the fact that I'm still sore from our visit to the Belegarth park in Santa Rosa
I could definitely see the differences between Amtgard and Belegarth. Personally I think each has certain things that are better than the other and our mutual existance and "cross-gaming" can only make each into something better for all. mmmmmmm hybridy goodness.... hmmm :twisted: "I'm a bad, bad man."
"Read like a butterfly, write like a bee."
-Philip Pullman
Baernoir

Postby Norm » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:21 pm

Me popping my knuckle got me out of PE :D
The non-factor park Member.
Norm

Postby Juggernaut » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:55 am

I just want to clarify that rule on sufficient force. "Hard enough to make you wince" is definitely an overstatement. I think our sports are definitely hurt by statements like "Amptgarders all tap-fight like pussies" and "Dag/Bel fighters are just meatheads with no finesse." If you were to draw a line graph, pure LARPING would be on one side and live-steel fighting would be on the other. Ampt/Bel/Dag float in the middle there somewhere. In fact, within Dag/Bel there are whole groups of fighters popping up who prefer to use "quicktubes" instead of heavier swords so they can gain battle advantage. There is a significant amount of disdain for them because most of the hits from these weapons are too light. Additionally, the whole argument of what "too light" means varies from region to region. I have been fighting Dag/Bel since '95 and I was taught that a sufficient force hit is a hit that would have disabled your arm/leg or killed you if it had been swung with a real weapon. I tone this down significantly, but that is what goes through my head when I am calling "light."

Contrary to what some of you may think, there are a very large number of incredibly skillful, graceful, and lighting-quick fighters who hit with "sufficient force" in Bel/Dag.

I'm just not one of them. This is why they call me the Juggernaut.

In the end, we are all just dress-up nerds.

Let me recommend to you some training videos that will help you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3EPZfB1Qc This is part one in a 7-part Advanced Shield/Sword fighting class.

If I could get these movements down, I would get way better. Duke Uther from the SCA has some great videos on Youtube, but I think he recently cancelled his account. :(

Anyway, Looking forward to fighting with y'all again and trying to pick up more of your secrets.

Jugg
Juggernaut

Postby Conrad07 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 2:24 pm

Greetings and many salutations to any and all fighters, whether ye be Amtgard/SCA/Larper/or Belegarth. Now that the formalities are out the way, I am currently in the Yuba/Sutter county's of CA. I only recently got into Belegarth in the last year, but have found it too be quite fun and excelirating. I have been training with many different types of weaponry as well as tactics for most of my 23yrs. These include but are not limited too- Boken, Shinia, Modified single hand fencing Shinia, Dagger and Grappling, Florentine, and a very lite smackling of sword and shield. If anyone has any information OR is themselves in the Yuba/Sutter county's of CA. and would like to get together and discuss sword fighting, practice, or even a little Belegarth fighting, i would be much appreciative to you all. On a side note, i would also be up for the discussion of joining or creating a new Belegarth realm if any are interested. Because i do not access to the internet on a regular basis, i invite any who wish too contact me either through talk or text at the following number. Thank you Conrad (530) 844-4321--cell.
Conrad07

Postby Norm » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:31 am

Greetings Conrad! And Welcome to the crimson wood side of the CA Amtgard forums! Thanks for posting and telling us about your self, you sound like a great player at bel and sound trained in all the "fine" arts. If you wish to practice sword fighting with the likes of amtgardians, then you may come when ever you please, we would love to have a new player. I suggest you find out what amtgard is all about before you do so, it is its own beast.

Best wishes,
Norm.
The non-factor park Member.
Norm

Return to Duchy of Crimson Wood - Rohnert Park, CA