Feelings on testing v8 ruleset?

Discussion/Information about the Duchy of Crimson Wood

Moderators: Drenth, bill the nun

Feelings on testing v8 ruleset?

Postby Mathis » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:14 pm

I've been wanting to take part in a v8 playtest for a while now, and I've unfortunately have missed every CW test. Proposal: Would the park be down to do a v8 game once (or more, if possible) a month? I would be willing to print out rules and cheatsheets, as well as run/reeve the games. (note: I'm only planning on being here until end of May.)

I've heard the park has ran v8 in the past and didn't like it, but it seems that it is making progress to becoming the future official ruleset- I feel that we might as well send in well-organized feedback about what we specifically like and don't like.

edit: v8 Class Cheat sheets as well as entire Rulebook :
https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0Bxe3g ... edit?pli=1
All googley doc cred to Mesreth
Last edited by Mathis on Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mathis

Re: Feelings on testing v8 ruleset?

Postby ShadowSword » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:42 pm

I am planning on doing a V8 test week after next so it would be wonderful if you were to print out the stuff for it!
It just as simple as that...
ShadowSword

Postby Mathis » Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:05 am

Sweet! Will do. What kind of game were you thinking of running?
Mathis

Postby Norm » Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:37 pm

BRING ALL YOUR ARMOR!
The non-factor park Member.
Norm

Postby Mannanan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:34 pm

I actually like v.8. I think the main source of rejection is that it is so different from what we are used to, it gets confusing. It is kind of like buy up your Lv. day where every one is 6th Lv. in a class they have never played before.
- Baronet Mannanan, MaA to Baronet Torbjorn Kegslayer Esq.
Mannanan

Postby Mathis » Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:54 am

I've got a cheat sheet for each class printed out, as well as some spell lists and the armor rules. I would encourage people to read the rules themselves (yes, all of them) beforehand.

Mannanan wrote:I actually like v.8. I think the main source of rejection is that it is so different from what we are used to, it gets confusing. It is kind of like buy up your Lv. day where every one is 6th Lv. in a class they have never played before.

I think v8 looks good on paper, but I haven't played it once. The Iron Mountains is/was doing a weekly v8 test where the first week everyone was level one, the next week level two etc... In order for people to familiarize themselves with class roles and abilities. I would be down to steal that idea, but I also don't want to poop on the party if folks are not interested at all in constant testing v8.
Mathis

Postby ShadowSword » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:49 am

I was thinking about doing it as a monthly test. I would suggest printing out multipules of the spell sheets to make it easier on the higher level magic useres.

Also can you post here the most recent edition of the rules?
ShadowSword

Postby Guyvas » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:07 pm

ShadowSword wrote:I am planning on doing a V8 test week after next so it would be wonderful if you were to print out the stuff for it!

That sucks Mathis will most likely be in Santa Cruz that weekend....
Guyvas
Crimson Marauders
Bloodfog
Wu Tang Clan ain't nothin' to fuck with
Guyvas
Mr. Tittyface

Postby Mathis » Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:11 pm

I edited the original post with a link to the class sheets and rulebook (version 8.6.1). Print your own cheatsheets if you want your own for keeps.

Poop- I will most definitely be abroad that weekend. Thanks Guyvas. I can still drop off these papers for the champion box and assist with Q&A about basic rule changes at the park this weekend.
Mathis

Postby ShadowSword » Wed Mar 13, 2013 7:03 pm

Oh Im sorry, how about if it goes well we do another V8 test two weeks afterward?

Also what does resistant mean? You get it from adaptive blessing but I cant find the meaning...

Can someone figure out if the Necromancy thing for Healer makes it so that all of the Death spells only need to be chanted once or do I only need to chant the last part of the spell? If its the first thing then it is completely useless because all of the Death spells Healer only need to be chanted once.
ShadowSword

Postby Mathis » Wed Mar 13, 2013 8:54 pm

ShadowSword wrote:Oh Im sorry, how about if it goes well we do another V8 test two weeks afterward?

Also what does resistant mean? You get it from adaptive blessing but I cant find the meaning...

Can someone figure out if the Necromancy thing for Healer makes it so that all of the Death spells only need to be chanted once or do I only need to chant the last part of the spell? If its the first thing then it is completely useless because all of the Death spells Healer only need to be chanted once.

Sure! I basically want to do it as often as we can depending on how others feel.

Definition of 'Resistant' (from page 52):
Resistant: The player has a one-use immunity to a given type of effect. Players must
announce ‘resistant’ upon triggering.
● Melee: Immune to the next strike from a melee weapon. No effect on projectiles.
● Wounds: Immune to the next Wound that would otherwise be inflicted.
● School: Immune to the next effect from the given School.

The 'Necromancer' ability makes all your death spells 'Charge x1'. This should not be confused with a shortened Incantation. Charge is a mechanic (page 48) that allows repeated use of a spell or ability by saying 'Focus my power" x 15. With the necromancer ability you could cast Greater Undead Minion the number of times you bought it, and then charge it and cast, and charge it and cast... forever and ever.

Fun fact: Ctrl+F (or whatever does the text search on your machine) and type in whatever you're looking for with a colon on the end. Examples being Resistant: or Incantation: it will place you right at the definition of the rule.
Mathis

Postby Mannanan » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:30 pm

I found my old v.8 rules print out. I am going to review them to make sure they are current. Sadly, I don't have the class breakdowns.
- Baronet Mannanan, MaA to Baronet Torbjorn Kegslayer Esq.
Mannanan

Postby Guyvas » Fri Mar 15, 2013 9:39 pm

Unless its been printed in the last 2 months you will not have a current rulebook and be missing some important stuff
Guyvas
Crimson Marauders
Bloodfog
Wu Tang Clan ain't nothin' to fuck with
Guyvas
Mr. Tittyface

Postby Lady Tamara » Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:46 pm

Mannanan wrote:I found my old v.8 rules print out. I am going to review them to make sure they are current. Sadly, I don't have the class breakdowns.

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0Bxe3g1SPxIJTcFhfeWZMNnctekE/edit?usp=sharing&pli=1 Both the newest version of V8 and the class cheat sheets. :D
Wife to Collin the Red
http://www.meetup.com/amtgard-sacramento
Tamara on the AmtWiki
O.R.K.
Facebook
Woman at Arms to Sir Francis of Ravensholm
Lady Tamara

Postby Garlock » Sun Mar 17, 2013 1:16 pm

This sounds so freaking Exciting!!!

So far I have read over what the new rules are and how the classes are set, and right now I'm looking quite forward to this!

(to be fairly honest I feel really op with these Abilities and such) :shock: :D

P.S. Hope more people show up for this!!
*picks up sword* "This is the sword that will pierce the heaven's!!."
Garlock

Return to Duchy of Crimson Wood - Rohnert Park, CA