V8 Test 4/27/2013

Discussion/Information about the Duchy of Crimson Wood

Moderators: Drenth, bill the nun

V8 Test 4/27/2013

Postby ShadowSword » Sat Apr 20, 2013 10:53 pm

Another amazing V8 test next week at the park! Again this week if you partisapate you will be getting not 1, but 2 credits for the week! Bring as many friends and family as possible!
It just as simple as that...
ShadowSword

Re: V8 Test 4/27/2013

Postby Mathis » Mon Apr 22, 2013 3:09 pm

Are people still into the idea of everyone being level one for a game?
Mathis

Postby Garlock » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:51 pm

Yes, the V8 Rules and Game-play is still quite interesting! I would love to try this out again; provided that
everyone else will want to do so as well.

Hope to see more people there next week!
*picks up sword* "This is the sword that will pierce the heaven's!!."
Garlock

Postby groo » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:03 pm

Yes Mathis, I for one like the idea of everyone starting out at level one. And for the record, I’ve played V8 several times and still am not a fan…but I digress (that’s another topic on E-Sam).
There is (arguably) enough changes in V8 that it is ideal to learn them and master them while going up in levels. The same way Amtgard as a whole, runs. You don’t see a veteran player get Knighted and next day plays a 6th level Paladin. To this day I have not heard a single argument against this idea that is not based on preference.

Food for thought…I’m all about the fun and do not really have a dog in this race (I’ll continue to play either way).
groo
groo

Postby Collin the Red » Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:08 pm

Do you have a V8 test coordinator in CW? Please send me their info or the champions info for next reign.

10q
Baron Collin MacAbee current King of Westmarch
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Postby ShadowSword » Tue Apr 23, 2013 6:40 pm

Collin the Red wrote:Do you have a V8 test coordinator in CW? Please send me their info or the champions info for next reign.

10q

The would be me and Mathis I believe.
ShadowSword

Postby Collin the Red » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:24 am

10q
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Postby Mathis » Wed Apr 24, 2013 2:50 pm

groo wrote:Yes Mathis, I for one like the idea of everyone starting out at level one. And for the record, I’ve played V8 several times and still am not a fan…but I digress (that’s another topic on E-Sam).
There is (arguably) enough changes in V8 that it is ideal to learn them and master them while going up in levels. The same way Amtgard as a whole, runs. You don’t see a veteran player get Knighted and next day plays a 6th level Paladin. To this day I have not heard a single argument against this idea that is not based on preference.

Food for thought…I’m all about the fun and do not really have a dog in this race (I’ll continue to play either way).
groo

Criticism is the most important part of playtesting! Be sure to post them/email them to the v8 committee. Post them here too, I would be down to read them. I've only played a total of one time, so I don't really feel like I have any solid idea of what it is yet.

ShadowSword wrote:
Collin the Red wrote:Do you have a V8 test coordinator in CW? Please send me their info or the champions info for next reign.

10q

The would be me and Mathis I believe.

I'll be gone from like June->September.
Mathis

Postby Collin the Red » Wed Apr 24, 2013 3:38 pm

Mathis wrote:...STUFF...

I'll be gone from like June->September.

So I'll work with ShadowSword then.
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Postby Norm » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:28 pm

Ill be there!
The non-factor park Member.
Norm

Postby ShadowSword » Wed Apr 24, 2013 10:04 pm

How about we make a thread that is used for people to say what they like/dont like about V8? How would you all feel about that?
ShadowSword

Postby Collin the Red » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:14 am

If you want to do that for your land, cool. OR start it in Important WM Issues. All of Amtgard seams to be useing the Facebook V8 page for giving feedback to the V8 team.
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Postby Mathis » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:59 pm

Test on Saturday went pretty smoothly, I think starting at level one made it easier to understand new abilities. We played Capture the Flag with Instant respawn at a location 30ft away from the flag, with Refresh on point scored. We gave everyone look the part for free. So far, this was the third v8 test at this park.

Team A:
Assassin - 2 pt bracers!!! throwies
Scout (Me) - 1 armor, board, throwies
Healer - Sword n' Board, Heal
Monk - Speedpole
Monk - Speedpole
Wizard (Switched after 1 round)- Force Bolt, Short... 2 Short?

Team B:
Healer - 4 Blessing Against Wounds, Heal
Bard - Short, Insult, Song of Determination... (was that it?)
Warrior - 6 pt breastplate, greatsword
Monk - Downspear + short, ferocious beard
Barbarian - Speedpole 1 armor

Score: Team A won by one? Two? Idk, I was tired.

Game was fast paced, at first a landslide to the A team with all 3 projectiles. Wizard was switched and it became even faster paced with a lot of killing/dying and many back and forths within each point, unlike v7 (60 second death) speed flag where slowly killing players one by one secures victory.

Class Feedback:
Monks and Barbarian wished desperately to be able to throw cans. Bard's Insult proved to be very useful in this game to break up enemy team. B Healer wished desperately to Harden their own weapons, but 4 Blessing Against Wounds per life was neat-o. B Healer felt too squishy without any in-combat/offensive level one spells. Monks wished Give Life was instant like v7. (We did not playtest new Monk resurrect.) Scout felt flossy in comparison to other classes at first level with Armor, Heal, Board, Adaptive Blessing, and Throwies all at first level. Especially in comparison to Monks, who had only a self heal. (I just noticed that's only with look the part. Damn, non-ltp first level monks are worthless.)

General Feedback:
Note: We've recently done a whole two games. Not a lot of experience yet.
v8 is not that much less complicated than v7. v7 is fun to play. Why not just remove the most obvious shitty parts of v7?
People like the buff to all armor, but don't think the new system is less confusing or more effective. (Also: Only one person here has tried having 4 point armor. No one here has tried 5/6.)
Half people thought Insult was too powerful at first level, half thought it well placed.
People like having the weapon options placed on the spell list instead of the shitty thing in v7. Didn't like the options though? (Did not elaborate)
Park Barbarian-lovers cried bitter tears at the lack of class flavor including but not limited to: having to actually yell 'berserk' really loud, throwing weapons, fur sashes, bows, friends, breaking shields with short swords.

Personally:
I like v8 a lot on paper, and playing it is pretty fun (I like fast pace), but people seem happy with v7 and reluctant to play what is arguably a different game. I like the new armor system. Small things, I think Healer could use some sort of combat/offensive spell at level one for the non-stick players. I think Monk at level one is weak (even if there were bows on the field, any class with a shield trumps the missile block ability). I think rock paper scissors is not a fun mechanic, but hey I've played this ruleset twice in my whole life, and only on a small scale. If v8 does not pass I hope certain things transfer to v7, specifically the Scavenge ability for warrior, faster paced games, and Armor being stronger in general.

Rules Clarifications:
*Experienced may only be used on Verbal type magic. If a spell is listed as Enchantment or Meta-Magic you may not make it rechargeable with Experienced.
*You must announce specialty arrows immediately before firing them. This was, however, already the case in v7. (Op-ed: That rule is dumb and no one follows it)
Mathis

Postby Mathis » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:05 pm

Additionally, in the feedback some players made me write down v8 is intertwined in zionist conspiracies, a proposal that we begin blood sacrifices for Groo (mammals only), and that I (Mathis) suck.
Mathis

Postby Collin the Red » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:57 pm

Thank you for your detailed feedback.

And, Mathis, you don't suck.
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Return to Duchy of Crimson Wood - Rohnert Park, CA