Meeting!

Forum for members of the Westmarch BOD

Moderator: ravenb

Re: Meeting!

Postby Etah » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:52 pm

Ka'a, is it the EIN or the non-profit? Because they are two different things.

If what you need is the EIN, when I was PM of TR, I got TR an EIN. It was just registering on a website. Took a few minutes. Clenawe should still have the paperwork in his PM box. It should be in a Wells Fargo folder. I'll ask him.
~Baronet Squire Etah Landshark
Corsair
Shire of Aegir's Hall

"Hate is a strong word, but I found out if you say it backwards what appears is a bald nerd." - MC Nameloc
Etah

Postby Ka'a Acklie » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:05 am

EIN non-profit. I seem to be the first using the form and had questions
Fru Squire Ka'a F Acklie

Ego Sum Finis
Ka'a Acklie

Postby Etah » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:52 pm

EIN means Employer Identification Number. It does not necessarily have anything to do with being a non-Profit.
Corsair
Shire of Aegir's Hall

"Hate is a strong word, but I found out if you say it backwards what appears is a bald nerd." - MC Nameloc
Etah

Postby Ka'a Acklie » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:37 am

Etah, I need the EIN to prove to the vendors I ask for donations from that we are a non-profit. The form was made so that event planners could start trying to make the events better while keeping costs down. Since I'll be the first to use it the BOD discussed what changes we needed to make and the plans for the BOD to vote on it incase the form is being submitted by a member of the BOD.
Fru Squire Ka'a F Acklie

Ego Sum Finis
Ka'a Acklie

Postby Etah » Sat Jan 25, 2014 12:41 pm

Ka'a, our confusion right now is because I am being very specific. Employer Identification number, non-profit and tax exempt all mean different things.

Per the IRS:
While the Internal Revenue Service does issue Employer Identification Numbers (EINs), these are merely a unique identifier, similar to a Social Security number for an individual. Applying for and receiving an EIN says nothing about the organization's tax status; however, your organization needs an EIN to apply for tax exemption.

http://www.irs.gov/Charities-&-Non-Profits/Tax-Exempt-Numbers--and-Employer-Identification-Numbers

An EIN is not necessary linked to a non-profit (which is state level) group or a tax exempt (which is Federal level) group, but can be.

To be clear, Thor's Refuge has an EIN but it is not linked to a non-profit or tax exempt status. Westmarch has an EIN that is linked to both a state non-profit and a Federal 301(c)7 tax exempt organisation.
Corsair
Shire of Aegir's Hall

Etah

Postby Grimbold » Sat Jan 25, 2014 1:22 pm

Don't take this as trolling, but why are we needing to garner donations? Amtgard has run run quite well for decades without doing so. I have always been against asking people for money for our little foam and flurb game. We provide for ourselves, it is a "do-it-yourself" culture.
vincit qui se vincit
vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
Grimbold

Postby Etah » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:50 am

You should also be aware that under Westmarchs 301(c)7 tax exempt status we are not a charity so contributions are not tax deductible and 301(c)7's are most often used for member only bars like VFW bars so we cannot generate more than a specific amount of revenue outside of our membership without possibly compromising our tax exempt status.
Corsair
Shire of Aegir's Hall

Etah

Postby Ka'a Acklie » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:11 pm

For a business to confirm the non profit status of our game they use the EIN. I have talked to the IRS and the way in which the Darkshore autocrats have always planned on using it is for goods donations. Though businesses cannot use it for a tax break they are more likely to donate to local nonprofits.

We're looking to use the form for in kind donations. This is the donations of goods and as a nonprofit we can take as much in kind donations without risking our nonprofit status

Also if land wants to get a hall rental or a camp ground at a discount the facilities will ask for the EIN to prove nonprofit.

By opening this up to our lands, but still deciding where and how it can be used, we can improve events and feasts while keeping costs down.
Fru Squire Ka'a F Acklie

Ego Sum Finis
Ka'a Acklie

Postby Azus » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:48 pm

Etah wrote:... we cannot generate more than a specific amount of revenue outside of our membership without possibly compromising our tax exempt status.

No more than 35% of income in terms of money can come from outside sources. Goods don't affect this.
Azus

Previous

Return to BOD