Feast of Mars X (Oct 9-12, 2014)

Information about upcoming local and nation Amtgard events

Feast of Mars X (Oct 9-12, 2014)

Postby Griffin » Mon May 19, 2014 12:55 am

Hello, Westmarch!

We've spent the last few months planning the decennial anniversary for Feast of Mars, and, with Darkshore past, it's time to kick off our promotion. This year, we have new events planned, refinements of the traditional games, and we're in the process of putting together an all-out extravaganza in the kitchen. We're also bringing back the archery booth, and we'll be holding an A&S competition. There will be a role-playing tent, and at least one game on Friday will offer a role for non-combatant participants. As usual, this will culminate in the Feast of Mars itself: A series of team-centered, gladiatorial themed fights that will end with one proud participant being hailed as the Champion of Mars - and receiving their choice of items from our extensive prize table.

Our anniversary bash will be held at San Lorenzo Park in King City, California from the late afternoon of Thursday, October 9th through the morning of Sunday, October 12th, 2014. Join us for the birthday blowout of California's biggest Amtgard event!

The schedule is still being finalized, but here are some of the things you can look forward to:
    Two fighting tournaments
    An Arts and Science tournament
    A role-playing tavern
    An archery competition
    Three class battlegames
    A minimum of six meals, plus dessert on Saturday
    A full day of militia style, gladiatorial team games, and an enormous prize table

More details will be available here, or at http://www.feastofmars.com over the next week, and our social media coordinator will be posting announcements to Facebook and E-Sam during that time-frame as well.
Griffin
Squire to Sir Deimos
Griffin

Re: Feast of Mars X (Oct 9-12, 2014)

Postby deimos » Tue Jun 17, 2014 9:11 pm

One of the things we hate to hear is that people really enjoyed playing, but didn't get to be on a team with their bestie. So this year, Feast of Mars is going to roll out the opportunity to join forces with your favorite BattleBuddy. Why? Because its FoM X, and stories of battle are best told with your friend instead of against them.

We will be offering a limited number of slots where the trainers will bid on a duo of slaves (e.g., you and your BattleBuddy will be slaves #7 and #8, and the trainers will make one bid for the both of you). This way you will be on the same team as your best friend, company mate, sibling, parent, etc.

"How do we get in on this awesome deal?" you might ask. Or might not. I don't care, I'm telling you anyway.

Send an email to battlebuddies(at)feastofmars(dot)com and tell us who you are, who your BattleBuddy is, and why we should give you the honor of dying alongside your best friend/cousin/sister's nephew's former roommate. Use your words, make a video...whatever you think will net you the best chance of partnering up for battle.

Again, there is a limited number of slots, so find your Buddy, plead your case, and may Mars have mercy on your soul.
Deimos
GMR of SSD
deimos

Postby Collin the Red » Wed Jun 18, 2014 9:26 am

^ This I like. Not that I have a need, but several people I know hate being separated from friends at this event. The fight better when with their buddies.
Baron Collin MacAbee current King of Westmarch
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Postby Azus » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:36 am

Who are the various crats?
Azus

Postby Griffin » Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:32 pm

Azus wrote:Who are the various crats?

http://www.feastofmars.com/contact/
Griffin
Squire to Sir Deimos
Griffin

Postby deimos » Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:34 pm

Here is a synopsis of the first battlegame at Feast of Mars:

The teams will be vying for Mars' favor by creating a tribute to the god of war. Each team will have a non-combat contingent to build the tribute, while the combatants try to secure components for their side to use. This game will need players who don't normally engage in battlegames. The build teams will not be interacting with the combat in any way. Both teams will have access to the same items, and special items will be introduced during the game. This will be a timed game, where the winning side is determined by Mars himself.
Deimos
GMR of SSD
deimos

Postby TB » Mon Jul 21, 2014 8:19 am

Have the trainers been chosen yet?

If not I would like to volunteer for yellow this year.
It's shameful.
Why can't people who dress in costumes and fight with toy weapons comport themselves with more maturity? - Asmund
TB
Terrible Bard

Postby deimos » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:38 am

Here is a synopsis of the second battlegame at Feast of Mars:

The Battle of Thermopylae
This year, the popular Thermopylae battle is leaping out of Mars' arena into a full-fledged battlegame. Can you survive against the odds and rewrite history? Can magic and abilities swing the tide in favor of the Greeks, or are the Persians just too powerful in strength and number?

Full class battlegame. Each team will have a life pool, a spawn count, and capturable spawn points. Molon Labe!
Deimos
GMR of SSD
deimos

Postby deimos » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:39 pm

For the third battlegame of Friday, I present the following synopsis:

The Sack of Rome
Full class battlegame. Life pool for each side.

The Visigoths have set up camp outside Rome. Negotiations have failed and an attack is imminent. Each side will have a static spawn point and capturable spawn points throughout the battlefield. There will be sub-objectives for each side to contribute towards victory points.
Deimos
GMR of SSD
deimos

Postby deimos » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:08 pm

Torbjorn will be running the Archery Booth this year, and he has some fun ideas he'll be implementing. Its a great way to win a pick from the prize table (or a SECOND or even THIRD pick if you're badass enough).

Speaking of prize table, make sure to be putting your best work forward at the A&S prize table competition, which could also net you a pick from the prize table! (Plus, it's really awesome when we have enough for everyone to get a prize, so we really, really hope everyone can pitch in and make it epic!)

Lastly, we're still taking applications for Battle Buddies! Send in a brief story, limerick, haiku, vine, video, spooky recording, or whatever it takes to get you paired up with your bestie at the gladiatorial games!

Send them to: battlebuddies@feastofmars.com today!

That's it for this update! Get out there and pester everyone you know!
Deimos
GMR of SSD
deimos

Postby Ka'a Acklie » Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:20 pm

Are there categories for the prize table competition?
Fru Squire Ka'a F Acklie

Ego Sum Finis
Ka'a Acklie

Postby Faye » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:48 pm

Ka'a Acklie wrote:Are there categories for the prize table competition?

While we have not yet finalized how judging will be held (since it is neither quals nor a dragonmaster we may try something different), I can safely say that if there are categories, they will be the usual ones; though I also feel I should point out that not all categories for a standard competition will make for good prizes. For example; bardics and most cooking entries.

My suggestion: Make awesome prizes and submit them, don't worry about what category they would fit into. We would certainly not disqualify a neat prize item just because it didn't fit into a traditional category.

I hope that answers your question!
Faye

Postby Ka'a Acklie » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:58 pm

Gasp! No cookies or pies? What if I wrap them up all pretty? Bottles of Limoncello? I was mainly hoping to donate a tunic and some food stuff. Maybe even a fresco
Fru Squire Ka'a F Acklie

Ego Sum Finis
Ka'a Acklie

Postby Grimbold » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:38 pm

No food stuff on the prize table, for reals.
vincit qui se vincit
vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
Grimbold

Postby Faye » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:09 am

Ka'a Acklie wrote:Gasp! No cookies or pies? What if I wrap them up all pretty? Bottles of Limoncello? I was mainly hoping to donate a tunic and some food stuff. Maybe even a fresco

As I said... most cooking entries. If you want to make cookies for the prize table, that's fine - those will pack nicely and will keep just fine. Use your common sense - a pie for the prize table is fine, a lasagna... not so much.

Again, and I really cannot say this enough - use your common sense for prize-table items. Will it travel well? Would you take it as a prize? Also keep in mind that you can offer custom prizes; we will have a cork-board and index cards for people to write down custom prizes, and I encourage people to take advantage of that.
Faye

Next

Return to Upcoming Events