WM Crown Qualifications - Oct. 15 @ WH

Information about upcoming local and nation Amtgard events

WM Crown Qualifications - Oct. 15 @ WH

Postby Fiks » Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:32 pm

Facebook Event Page

When: October 15, 2016
Where: Oak Picnic Area, Harvey West Park, 300 Evergreen St, Santa Cruz, CA 95060
Why: Gotta get candidates for Kingdom level and below offices qualified
Who: Anybody and everybody is welcome to attend, but especially people wanting to run for Kingdom offices
What:

As announced before Midreign, Crown Qualifications will be hosted by Wavehaven this time around, on October 15.

(TL,DR: location is Harvey West Park, Santa Cruz, CA, signups from 1200ish-1300, see Cultural notes below, see Warmaster and WMTS notes below, need volunteers for judges and reeves, and TR wants to jugg against WH, come out and have fun!)

Our Kingdom Qualifications for the Winter Reign of 2017 shall be held at the Oak Picnic Area at Harvey West Park, 326 Evergreen Street, Santa Cruz, CA 95060. (Go ahead and Google it, prove me wrong.)

Amenities include running water and a faucet, an electrical outlet, a barbecue grill, and a couple dozen picnic tables under a great oak. Parking is close by and crowd willing it won't be full up; at the very least there's handicap parking nearby for those who need it (like our newly minted Viking barbar). The area is between the Greenvale Cemetery and the Harvey West Pool complex (which does have rec swim time available during Quals if you're so inclined, bring $4 for The Man) and playground area. There's a nice big field alongside the picnic areas so we should have no trouble staking out areas for the tournaments and maybe even some jugging afterwards if time and people's commutes allow.

Wavehaven likes to start its day around noon and the 15th shall be no different. Bear pitting and ditching shall commence immediately at 1200 (noon, not midnight) or earlier as people arrive and start setting up. Sign-ups for Quals will be open as soon as I get there and setup.

The Quals competitions shall begin at 1300 (1pm) sharp. Make sure you plan your travel times accordingly and add some padding to your travel time to allow for traffic. Ie: plan to leave 3.5 hours early if you're traveling from CW/TR, 3 hours if from SSD, etc. and etc.. Chances are there will be people at the park (whichever we end up using) waiting for the festivities to begin, so come hang out. Or shoot me a message if you end up here stupid early; we'll go grab a bite to eat or something, I dunno.

This means if you need to participate in the Cultural competition, you need to have your items setup on the tables/spaces provided, your cards filled out, and your items added to the master list before 1300. If your items don't have cards and your cards don't have a number assigned by me, it will not be judged, and you will not pass Quals. This is my serious face.

This means if you need to participate in the Warmaster competition, you need to have signed up for the desired categories and be ready to compete by 1300. Though I will not be overseeing the Warmaster event directly, my assigned minion will be following my direction to be punctual and precise. This will be their serious face.

I require at least five volunteers to judge the Cultural competition, and at least four reeves to oversee the Warmaster competition. I currently do not have a Warmaster coordinator selected, but I have a few people to poke before I will call for a pug coordinator.

The Cultural competition will be held as per the corpora.
If you have an item in the Cooking category, please make sure you bring your entry in an appropriate vessel for serving/tasting and have enough for five judges and a spare serving just in case. Don't forget those recipe lists! If your Cooking entry contains alcohol, you must indicate that to me in writing a week before Quals and I will make arrangements for that item to be judged at a time and place that meets with the legal requirements of the City and County of Santa Cruz. If you bring an alcoholic entry without giving me adequate warning that entry will be disqualified!

Any entries in the Literature category over a page (single spaced, 1" margins, 10pt font at minimum) must be emailed to me a week in advance of Quals. My email is fiks@wavehaven.net and please attach it as a PDF if at all possible. If you send me a Word doc and it has a virus embedded in it, I will DQ you out of spite.

Strategic gaming is allowed as a Cultural entry still. If you would like to challenge someone to a game of strategy, you must give me a week's notice to warn my judges and allow them time to read a primer on the given game. Time will be set aside for the game as needed. You must provide the game and its requisite pieces/resources. We will probably huff at you. Just saying.

The Warmaster competition will be as per the corpora, kinda.
Warmaster will be the last Westmarch Tournament Series tournament for this reign. As such we shall be running it the same as the previous tournaments in the WMTS series. Noticable exception will be that we WILL be running a Great (greater than 48" per RoP) category. Those of you who were at Westmarch Wars will be familiar with this modification to the normal WMTS format. Rejoice! For this shall allow competitors to earn more points for that final push for the win.

All serious competitors should have their own Great weapon, as well as the other weapon combinations. Start preparing now if you need to repair or build yourself a weapon to compete with. Do not think to rely on your ability to submit a weapon into the Cultural competition and then fight with it later in the Warmaster for the Open or Great categories. If you try to do this, I will DQ your entry.

Assuming that Cultural and Warmaster competitions wrap up quickly, we will setup for jugging. The ever ambitious and yet undefeated Thor's Refuge jugging team has challenged Wavehaven to put a team on the field of blood and duke it out.
Results will be tabulated and posted online early the following week, as my schedule allows. It will then be up to our esteemed officers to run the election the week after, then hold Coronation two weeks after (according to our current schedule).

Hope to see everyone on the 15th at Crown Qualifications hosted by Wavehaven!
"How harmful overspecialization is. It cuts knowledge at a million points and leaves it bleeding."—Hari Seldon
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people. Bonk!
Fiks

Return to Upcoming Events