New 2H Sword design idea

Discussion/Information about the Duchy of Wavehaven

Moderators: Misty, mikezilla

Re: New 2H Sword design idea

Postby Collin the Red » Sat May 30, 2009 7:41 am

retracted
Last edited by Collin the Red on Sun May 31, 2009 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Baron Collin MacAbee current King of Westmarch
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Postby Thorin » Sat May 30, 2009 10:04 am

The one thing to be worried about with the sword would be the bamboo breaking. Don't know the quality of your bamboo so can't say what the danger of that is. You might as well be safe and upgrade to 1 inch bamboo.

Also, please keep threads in the relevant forums and at least somewhat related to Amtgard or generally geeky silliness. No one cares about moped engine power.
Tap Ut Quod Teneo Haud Reformo

Lord Thorin Njalsson of Wavehaven
Thorin

Postby Brigade » Sun May 31, 2009 1:15 am

PAG wrote:I had an idea for a sword, something in a thin bamboo (maybe 3/4" diameter?) covered with monster noodle and tape, at about 5-6 feet long...would this be a good, viable two handed sword?

No. Use thicker bamboo.
No, you're wrong. And I'm not going to waste my time arguing with you. - Sir Shef
Brigade

Postby Mantis » Sun May 31, 2009 1:20 am

It all boils down to your bamboo. I like your foam techniques on all of your long swords, repeat your traditional flatblade construction techniques; however, might I recommend a 1" x 9' bamboo rod then just cut it in half? the added width on the core with minimal weight gain will be your blessing in a light and sturdy great sword.

I sent you a PM about why there's a 1000w limit on the bike. :)
Guest: mantis wahts so good about warrior?
Mantis: Guess What! I got a FEVER; And the only prescription, is more Armor.
Mantis

Postby Laoric » Sun May 31, 2009 8:41 am

PAG wrote:I didn't get a PM about a 1,000 watt limit...just some random flaming crap that I always get. Seriously people, if you don't have something nice to say, at least say things that wouldn't get you punched in the face IRL. If you don't like my threads, please don't post flaming crap in them. I'll talk to Grix about censoring my threads of the flaming crap that always gets cluttered up in them - some people hate new ideas, or building things.

I made some thick bamboo 5' swords once. They weren't very safe. I think they were 1.5" core bamboo covered with camp pad.
Thin bamboo is lighter and more flexible, although there is a chance of it breaking. I'll need a good quality of bamboo - I'm thinking about going to lumbermans or whatever it's called now, in the garden department, and picking a nice one.

Some clarification on the baseball rule would be nice - am I allowed to take a piece of 1/2" bamboo covered with monster noodle and slap the shit out of people, assuming they aren't "injured"?

The biggest issue you're going to have is a weight:effectiveness/durability ratio. Obviously Mantis' polearms are built to be sturdy, but because of that the weapon is harder to maneuver quickly in the same fashion as a sword. You're also limited in how much power you can put behind it before you injure someone.

If you can track down Thorn and ask him what he used I'll bet you'll get some good answers. Try PM'ing him and see if he replies.
“I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less.”
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Collin the Red » Sun May 31, 2009 10:39 am

OK Helpful....

If you use the bamboo of any size make sure to use strapping tape on the bamboo so if it fails, it won't splinter and possibly hurt you or your opponent.

Kite spar might be better than bamboo but will cost more.

Baseball swings with large heavy weapons is usually not a good idea, but most swings with a great weapon that are effective are short quick jabs (one point) or short swings (2 points if 2 handed)

Once you use the larger weapon for a while you will get the feel for it. I found in my very minimal time using great swords, that choking up with one hand and keeping the other hand towards the pummel you have better leverage for quick strikes and direction changes.

(I'm deleting my previous post on this thread.)
Baron Collin MacAbee current King of Westmarch
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Postby Lurker » Sun May 31, 2009 1:30 pm

PAG wrote:Some clarification on the baseball rule would be nice - am I allowed to take a piece of 1/2" bamboo covered with monster noodle and slap the shit out of people, assuming they aren't "injured"?

There is no rule about baseball swings.
Grix wrote:Lurker's a tard.
Lurker

Postby Brigade » Sun May 31, 2009 3:21 pm

Lurker wrote:
PAG wrote:Some clarification on the baseball rule would be nice - am I allowed to take a piece of 1/2" bamboo covered with monster noodle and slap the shit out of people, assuming they aren't "injured"?

Amtgard Rules of Play v 7.5, page 5 wrote:14. Grappling with an opponent; shield bashing; rough, dangerous, or offensive physical contact is strictly prohibited and can result in being banned from play indefinitely.

Your Champion has final say on what is deemed to be "unsafe."
No, you're wrong. And I'm not going to waste my time arguing with you. - Sir Shef
Brigade

Postby Lurker » Sun May 31, 2009 5:47 pm

Brigade wrote:
Lurker wrote:

Amtgard Rules of Play v 7.5, page 5 wrote:14. Grappling with an opponent; shield bashing; rough, dangerous, or offensive physical contact is strictly prohibited and can result in being banned from play indefinitely.

Your Champion has final say on what is deemed to be "unsafe."

Right. There is, however, no rule about baseball swings.
Grix wrote:Lurker's a tard.
Lurker

Postby Arthur_MacG » Sun May 31, 2009 8:43 pm

Lurker wrote:Right. There is, however, no rule about baseball swings.

Just because the term isn't used verbatim doesn't mean there isn't a rule against it. Don't try to be clever or witty or lawltastic by asking me how many fingers you have on your hand and then telling me I'm wrong because you actually have four fingers and one thumb.

Baseball swing is a widely accepted term meaning shots that start waay back and develop a lot of power. As if I were swinging for a baseball. How do people swing for baseballs? They swing on them to knock them out of the park. Don't try to argue the semantics of it, it is an accepted term.
ImageImage
Recipient of 1st order of the "you funking suck"
Arthur_MacG
Intimidating Board Presence

Postby Laoric » Sun May 31, 2009 10:15 pm

I think we can all agree Arthur is right and Lurker is a douche.
“I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less.”
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Cadogan » Sun May 31, 2009 10:57 pm

The Barony of Siar Geata supports Laoric's proposal.