Wavehaven's Unique Weapon Competition

Discussion/Information about the Duchy of Wavehaven

Moderators: Misty, mikezilla

Wavehaven's Unique Weapon Competition

Postby Fiks » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:01 am

Announcing the Wavehaven Unique Weapon Competition:

You all are crazy, and you all come up with crazy weapons. I adore that. To further encourage and praise your guys' construction antics, I would like to engage our weapon crafters in a competition. The contest is to build the best unique weapon.

We all have our standard go to fighting weapons, of both omni- and flat blade varieties, and of various lengths, widths and colors. But those are not what I want to see. What I want to see are the weapons that are solely their own kind of beast. Previous examples by our brethren include the lurpas, the "doku" style pist-grips, and various clubs, torches, hammers and maces of old.
I want these and more. Let us see how creative you all can get in the art of weapon construction.

Weapons shall be graded upon the following criteria:
  • Creativity: wow factor, original thought, and unique designs, as well spit and polish to truly make a weapon unique.

and

• Safety: not only is the best weapon creative and singular, but it is safe to use on the field. What makes a weapon most unique is its ability to slay your opponents. It's part of what is great in life. It is known.
But wait, there's more: Bonus points can be earned by testing your unique weapon at the Westmarch Midreign (last weekend of August, location TBD last I checked). Points will be given according to how well the weapon scores in the A&S Dragonmaster tournament, or how many wins you gain during the Open Weapon using your unique weapon in the Warmaster fighting tournament. Since both tournaments are likely to be concurrent, it's up to you to decide how to best maximize your weapon's ability (or your own personal skill's ability) to earn points.

I look forward to seeing what you all can cook up in those twisted little melons. Onward, Crabs!

'Cause I'm the Duke.
"How harmful overspecialization is. It cuts knowledge at a million points and leaves it bleeding."—Hari Seldon
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people. Bonk!
Fiks

Re: Wavehaven's Unique Weapon Competition

Postby belcrane » Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:32 am

I would like to create my own weapon but I'm having a hard time about how should I design it and what kind of skills should I put.
Ohhh by the way I want katana.
belcrane

Re: Wavehaven's Unique Weapon Competition

Postby Fiks » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:19 pm

The powers that be in Westmarch have announced that Westmarch Midreign is going to be at Westmarch Wars, and the details of the event have been made official. This weekend event is September 4-6 at Camp Pollock in Sacramento. That's about a three hour drive from us here in Santa Cruz.

I was hoping WM's midreign was going to be some place more central when I originally penned the Unique Weapon Competition rules but that's how the cookie crumbles. So obviously this will affect some people's ability to get their unique weapon entered into either the Dragonmaster or Weaponmaster tournament there. As of right now I am planning on attending WMW, which means I can probably transport people's weapons if they get it to me by the third of September (first Thursday). Room will be limited as I will probably be in my little Mazda. If that changes I will let you know. However, if you feel you can do better point wise by smoking some fools in the Open bracket of the Weaponmaster tournament with your unique weapon, then it is up to you to get to the event.

If you have a weapon you want entered into the competition but you do not think you will be able to get either yourself or your weapon to WMW, please let me know. We can make arrangements to have your weapon brought out to WH by the weekend before the event, or maybe even more special arrangements if neither of those scenarios seem doable. But then you run the risk of losing out to someone who can earn those bonus points at midreign...

Westmarch Wars Facebook Event Page

On the scoring front, I'm still mulling over how I want to structure the points system. At worst, I should have an idea of how I wanna do it by WMW and will post the rubric accordingly.
"How harmful overspecialization is. It cuts knowledge at a million points and leaves it bleeding."—Hari Seldon
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people. Bonk!
Fiks

Return to Duchy of Wavehaven - Santa Cruz, CA