ARTICLE VI - Crown Qualifications

Feedback and updates relating to the Westmarch kingdom corpora.

Re: ARTICLE VI - Crown Qualifications

Postby Etah » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:59 pm

Collin the Red wrote:Regent should know the RoP.
I think all 6th levels should also know RoP or be limited to 5th (JMHO)

That can be a land decision. I don't think that belongs in the corpora.
~Baronet Squire Etah Landshark
Corsair
Shire of Aegir's Hall

"Hate is a strong word, but I found out if you say it backwards what appears is a bald nerd." - MC Nameloc
Etah

Postby sirnakita » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:15 pm

I think that Dragonmaster should be listed separately from Qualifications and additional guidelines should be listed. This can convey that the Dragonmaster is looking at more quality of the work and expertise. Qualifications should require any entry to be functional but also to show obvious work by the entrant. A judge should never be put in the position of giving a low score on an item if there is no obvious effort.

Nakita
sirnakita

Postby Fiks » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:29 pm

Deja vu. I was part of a discussion about this same thing Saturday night. Here's what my opinion was and still is:

I think an item should be judged the same regardless of Quals or Dragonmaster.

If it's a barely legal sword without any obvious signs of craftsmanship or ornamentation, it should always be scored a 3.0. If it's illegal, it should score under. If it's a nerf sword that the person clearly didn't make themselves, it should be scored a 1.0 or DQ'd by the Quals Coordinator. Improvements to the appearance and construction of the weapon should throw the score up in the other direction above 3.0. The most well constructed, godly weapon should get well above a 4.0. Debate about scores closer to 5.0 will probably go on until eternity.

To me, any weapon fitting into either category should be scored the same regardless of the competition. If an item could win an Olympiad and you enter it into a Kingdom level Crown Quals, it should be able to win there. Ideally with the same score. Just because it's in an Olympiad shouldn't mean the quality of the item itself has changed.

That said, because the overall quality of the items submitted to a "higher prestige" competition will likely be higher, the judges' results will probably skew lower. Ideology versus reality? Crap.
"How harmful overspecialization is. It cuts knowledge at a million points and leaves it bleeding."—Hari Seldon
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people. Bonk!
Fiks

Postby Hannoske » Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:55 pm

Etah wrote:
Collin the Red wrote:Regent should know the RoP.
I think all 6th levels should also know RoP or be limited to 5th (JMHO)

That can be a land decision. I don't think that belongs in the corpora.

I strongly oppose organizational/management requirements being set at different levels depending on where you are at. Every land within Westmarch should have the same standards and same organizational structure. If I move to the Duchy of Crimsonwood, I should have to complete the same things to hold office, and expect the same structure.

As for the concept of people having to know the RoP to be 6th level, the rules already address that people have to pass level tests to advance a level, we just need to enforce them.

I am alright with people not knowing how other people's classes work. So long as when something is used against them they accept it without complaint or argument. I do have a problem with people trying to use abilities, and not understanding how they work. You need to know the rules around what you are trying to use.

Bottom line: Standardization is good, RTFM.
Hannoske

Postby Keluric » Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:28 am

One item per hand is being dropped from the proposal for the final document. I agree that it is unnecessary, and Open should in fact be "open".

Additional sub-categories in the Cooking arena I think merely dilutes the other categories, and does not really add anything. Fiks, also brings up a good point that we want to see a bit of versatility to the person's quals, after all, it will be handy for the potential officer to have a breadth of knowledge when performing the duties of their office.

Short vs. Long weapons...I cannot add more that Hannoske did not already cover. No change from the standard.
Baron Sir Keluric Tryst
Prince of Westmarch

Bellator Adamas
Rutgers Jugging Team
Grand Vizier of the Briny Deep
Keluric

Postby Guyvas » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:27 pm

three (5) points for first place in an event, two (3) points for second,

This confused me is it 3 points or 5 points for 1st place...is it 2 or 3 points for 2nd
Guyvas
Crimson Marauders
Bloodfog
Wu Tang Clan ain't nothin' to fuck with
Guyvas
Mr. Tittyface

Previous

Return to Westmarch Kingdom Corpora