ARTICLE VII - Awards and Honors

Feedback and updates relating to the Westmarch kingdom corpora.

ARTICLE VII - Awards and Honors

Postby Keluric » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:40 am

ARTICLE VII: AWARDS AND HONORS

Section 1. GENERAL INFORMATION
1. Awards include any order, masterhood, title, or knighthood.
2. Awards granted to a person are considered to be held by all of their personas.
3. No award is earned automatically and all awards are given at the discretion of those with the authority to give them.
4. The person granting and receiving an award cannot be the same person.
5. With regards to knighthood and the awards and positions that lead to eligibility for knighthood, the section on Awards Standards in the Amtgard Rules of Play shall take precedence over the Corpora.

Section 2. AWARDS
1. The Monarch and Regent may both grant the following Ladder Awards as given in the Rules of Play:
a. Orders of the Dragon
b. Orders of the Garber
c. Orders of the Lion
d. Orders of the Owl
e. Orders of the Rose
2. In addition to the Ladder Awards listed in the Rules of Play, the Monarch and Regent may both grant Orders of the Façade.
a. Orders of the Façade are awarded for outstanding role-play.
3. Only the Monarch may award Orders of the Smith as given in the Awards Standards in the Rules of Play.
4. In addition, only the Monarch may grant Orders of the Flame, Griffon, Hydra, Jovious, Mask, and Zodiac.
a. Orders of the Flame are for outstanding service by a group and may only be given once per reign.
b. Orders of the Griffon are for courage, chivalry, and honor on the field or in tournaments.
c. Orders of the Hydra are for qualifying in a number of Cultural sub-categories, during a single Crown Qualifications, as follows:
i. First or Second Order of the Hydra – a minimum of three sub-categories
ii. Third, Fourth or Fifth Order of the Hydra – a minimum of five sub-categories
iii. Sixth or Higher Order of the Hydra – a minimum of seven sub-categories
d. Orders of the Jovious are for having an outstanding positive attitude and may be given only once per reign.
e. Orders of the Mask are for outstanding portrayal of persona and may only be given once per reign.
f. Orders of the Zodiac are for outstanding contributions in a single month and may only be given once per month.
5. The Monarch may grant Orders of the Warrior. See the Rules of Play for requirements for each rank.
a. Orders of the Warrior may be displayed on a favor using the following color and animal scheme:
i. First Order on a green favor represented by a snake.
ii. Second Order on a blue favor represented by a boar.
iii. Third Order on a red favor represented by a mongoose.
iv. Fourth Order on a brown favor represented by a bear.
v. Five Order on a rust favor represented by a hawk.
vi. Sixth Order on a gray favor represented by a wolf.
vii. Seventh Order on an orange favor represented by a tiger.
viii. Eight Order on a black favor represented by a panther.
ix. Ninth Order on a purple favor represented by a dragon.
x. Tenth Order on a gold-trimmed red favor represented by a gold phoenix, also known as a master Order of the Warrior, or Warlord.

Section 3. MASTERHOOD
1. Masterhood is bestowed at the discretion of the Monarch for excellence in the arts & sciences, fighting, or service aspects of Amtgard.
2. Masterhood for arts & sciences, service, or fighting may only be awarded by the Monarch of the Kingdom.
3. A Class Masterhood may be given to an outstanding member of a fighting class.
a. The Monarch should consult the guildmaster of a class before granting a class masterhood.
b. The criteria for awarding someone a class masterhood should be:
i. Exemplifying the class. The potential class master in question should immediately come to mind as embodying the class.
ii. Thorough knowledge of the class rules and concept
iii. Good role-play
iv. Possession of quality garb and equipment for the class
c. A masterhood for being a Reeve may be granted to a member who:
i. Has at least twelve weeks experience as a reeve
ii. Displays excellence as a reeve.

Section 4. KNIGHTHOOD
1. Candidates for knighthood must have achieved the criteria listed for that knighthood and have the approval of the Westmarch Circle of Knights.
a. Basic criteria for each Order of Knighthood are listed in the Amtgard Rules of Play.
2. The Monarch of the Kingdom may knight candidates for knighthood into any of the four (4) orders of knighthood for the greatest contributions to Amtgard.
3. Achievement of the listed criteria does not automatically confer knighthood.
4. Leadership and the knightly virtues are prerequisites to earning knighthood.
5. The four orders of knighthood are Crown, Flame, Serpent and Sword.
a. A Knight of the Crown may wear a white belt trimmed with gold.
b. A Knight of the Flame may wear a white belt trimmed with red.
c. A Knight of the Serpent may wear a white belt trimmed with green.
d. A Knight of the Sword may wear a white belt trimmed with silver.
6. White or near-white belts and baldrics, spurs, and unadorned chains are reserved for knights.
a. White belts, near-white belts, and belts that are more than half white are reserved for knights.
b. Non-knights may wear chains with emotional, spiritual, or familial significance.
c. The Monarch, Champion, and Guildmaster of Knights shall enforce rules concerning garb reserved for knighthood.
d. Knights may wear a phoenix as part of their garb.
i. Anyone may display a phoenix as part of their garb if it is part of their Kingdom heraldry.
7. Knights may choose to take squires.
a. Red belts, near-red belts, and belts that are more than half red are reserved for squires.
8. Knights and squires may take pages and men-at-arms.
a. Yellow belts, near-yellow belts, and belts that are more than half yellow are reserved for pages.
b. Black belts trimmed in silver are reserved for men-at-arms.
9. A knighthood may be removed by a 2/3 vote of the Circle of Knights, a 2/3 vote of the Kingdom Althing, and the approval of the Kingdom Monarch.

Section 5. TITLES OF NOBILITY
1. The Monarch may bestow any title of nobility for serving with distinction in the offices of the Kingdom or for exemplary service to the Kingdom.
2. Although all titles are granted at the discretion of the Kingdom Monarch, the following criteria are suggested for members who serve with distinction. Service is at Kingdom level, unless otherwise noted.
a. Grand Duke (Grand Duchess) may be granted for serving two complete terms as Monarch and is addressed as “Your Grace.”
b. Archduke (Archduchess) may be granted for serving one (1) complete term as Monarch and Regent and is addressed as “Your Grace.”
c. Duke (Duchess) may be granted for serving one complete term as Monarch and is addressed as “Your Grace.”
d. Count (Countess) may be granted for serving one (1) complete term as Monarch of a Principality and is addressed as “Your Excellency”. This title may only be granted by the monarch of a kingdom.
e. Marquis (Marquise) may be granted for serving twice as, or two of the three positions of, Guildmaster of Reeves, Champion, or Prime Minister and is addressed as “Your Excellency.”
f. Viscount (Viscountess) may be granted for earning the titles of Defender and Weaponmaster and is addressed as “Your Excellency.”
g. Baron (Baroness) may be granted for serving one (1) complete term as Monarch of a Duchy, or one (1) complete term as Regent of a Principality and is addressed as “Your Excellency”.
h. Defender (Defender) may be granted for serving one (1) complete term as Champion of a Principality and is addressed as “Defender”. This title may only be granted by the monarch of a kingdom.
i. Baronet (Baronetess) may be granted for serving as a pro-tem officer of the Monarchy and is address as “Your Lordship” or “Your Ladyship”.
j. Lord (Lady) may be granted for serving one (1) complete term as Guildmaster of Reeves, one (1) complete term as Monarch of a Barony, or one (1) complete term as Regent of a Duchy, or at the discretion of the Monarch for excellent and continued service to Amtgard, and is addressed as “Your Lordship” or “Your Ladyship”.
3. Nobles may choose to take a Page or Man-at-Arms in a similar manner as Knights or Squires.
4. A title of nobility may be removed by a 2/3 vote of all Kingdom nobles, a 2/3 vote of a Kingdom Althing, and the approval of the Kingdom Monarch.

Section 6. ORDER OF PRESTIGE
1. The Order of Prestige exists for purposes of role-play to determine the rank of each person.
2. Rank in the Order of Prestige grants no special powers or duties to the holder of a title or position.
3. The Order of Prestige is as follows:
a. Monarch
b. Regent
c. Prime Minister
d. Champion
e. Guildmaster of Reeves
f. Grand Duke
g. Archduke
h. Duke
i. Heir Apparent
j. Count
k. Marquis
l. Viscount
m. Baron
n. Knight
o. Defender
p. Walker of the Middle
q. Baronet
r. Lord
s. Warlord and Masters of a service order or class
t. Captain of the Guard
u. Scribe, Herald, and Jester
v. Current Weaponmaster, current Dragonmaster
w. Current Warmaster, current Cultural Champion
x. All other guildmasters
y. All other court positions
z. Royal guardsmen
aa. Squire
ab. Page or Man-at-Arms
ac. Peasantry
Baron Sir Keluric Tryst
Prince of Westmarch

Bellator Adamas
Rutgers Jugging Team
Grand Vizier of the Briny Deep
Keluric

Re: ARTICLE VII - Awards and Honors

Postby Fiks » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:12 pm

Noticed that the description of the belt favor for tenth order of the warrior also refers to the tenth order as masterhood / warlord. Tenth order and warlord are two different awards so this bit should be fixed.
"How harmful overspecialization is. It cuts knowledge at a million points and leaves it bleeding."—Hari Seldon
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people. Bonk!
Fiks

Postby Keluric » Fri Apr 06, 2012 7:00 pm

The tenth order is listed as the red with yellow phoenix, which is the same for Warlord. I see what you are saying, but then what is the favor for the tenth order? Assuming they are not one and the same? I will do a little research.
Baron Sir Keluric Tryst
Prince of Westmarch

Bellator Adamas
Rutgers Jugging Team
Keluric

Postby Fiks » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:29 pm

Nod, a good idea.
"How harmful overspecialization is. It cuts knowledge at a million points and leaves it bleeding."—Hari Seldon
Fiks

Postby Niveus » Fri Apr 06, 2012 11:53 pm

Section 4. KNIGHTHOOD
1. Candidates for knighthood must have achieved the criteria listed for that knighthood and have the approval of the Westmarch Circle of Knights.
a. Basic criteria for each Order of Knighthood are listed in the Amtgard Rules of Play.

PLEASE NOTE!!!!

This is very important.
Baronet Niveus Esq.
Squired to Sir Nakita
Niveus

Postby Fiks » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:30 am

Nod.
Fiks

Postby Laoric » Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:26 am

So you're requiring the CoK to approve knights, rather than the DS method?
“I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less.”
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Keluric » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:55 am

We are adding the requirement of the Circle of Knights approving a candidate, in addition to the requirement of the Monarch's approval. This offers a genuine check and balance system. There have been issues over the past year or so, of a monarch, with sole authority to knight, abusing this ability to a severe extent. This monarch did no favors to himself or his kingdom in the process. To avoid this, we are proposing a forward thinking system, which received no negative opinions from the IK-CoM last year.
Baron Sir Keluric Tryst
Prince of Westmarch

Bellator Adamas
Rutgers Jugging Team
Keluric

Postby Grimbold » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:01 am

Wow, i thought it had been this way all along. This method seems like the only logical way to do it.
vincit qui se vincit
vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
Grimbold

Postby Laoric » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:27 am

Randall has summed up my feelings on it on e-sam.

Randall wrote:
The system of requiring the Circle of Knights to approve new candidates is inherently insular. The Circle of Knights becomes a self-selecting body. In theory, one would think a division of power -- both the monarch and the Circle must approve -- would result in new blood being added, thus solving this problem, but this is not how it tends to work in reality. After all, the members of the Circle of Knights are unelected, permanent club officers; if the monarch disagrees, why not wait six months (a short period when compared to permanence) until a new, more amenable monarch emerges? What happens instead is monarchs, who often do not want to alienate the knights because they want to get knighted, will play ball. You thus end up with a body that is unresponsible to, and unresponsive to, the populace -- a permanent clique that only changes when it chooses to change, that must be won over by any candidate wishing to be a knight. Even when knights are good, such systems seem to go awry quickly. It is my opinion that even when such circles act in what they feel to be good faith, they do harm to the institution of knighthood and to Amtgard.

To me, the risks of such a system -- that people must play political games to get knighted, where good candidates can be shut out by voting blocs, where voting blocs can actually emerge and matter -- are more dangerous and harmful to Amtgard than the risks to a system in which the prerogative to knight belongs to the monarch. Worst-case scenario there is we get bad knights. Well, we already get bad knights, including in kingdoms where a yes vote is mandatory, and the problem of bad knights tends to solve itself because we generally know as a club who is worthless and who is not, regardless of the color of their belt.

I prefer a system in which the approval of the circle is not required, but where there is great weight placed on acquiring its approval. This way, most of the time, the circle and the monarch are in agreement, but monarchs retain their authority to knight, and can unilaterally introduce new blood (and worthy candidates) to a circle when it stagnates or becomes too far removed from (and thus hostile to) the populace. My experience with such a system has generally positive, although it does require a kingdom where the voters are grown-ups and consensus is high. Consider that we already have a model for this in award standardization -- kingdoms can knight anyone, even if those people are ineligible per award standardization, and yet the great weight placed upon candidates meeting the standards set forth in that model mean most kingdoms, most of the time, adhere to it. I believe a similar path can be laid out for a monarch.

Others might have different experiences based on their kingdoms.
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Etah » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:03 pm

As long as the CoK vote is a majority vote (1/2) and not a super majority vote (2/3rds), I don't think there is much of a danger of one group taking over the CoK and only allowing their people in. There is to many competing interests and agendas, for that to develop.
~Baronet Squire Etah Landshark
Corsair
Shire of Aegir's Hall

"Hate is a strong word, but I found out if you say it backwards what appears is a bald nerd." - MC Nameloc
Etah

Postby Guyvas » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:41 pm

I feel Grand Duke is too easy to get; look at the people that are Grand Dukes/ Duchesses there are about 50 (46) in a game of several thousand so maybe instead of 2 terms do 3 or 4 full terms as kingdom monarch.

http://amtwiki.net/amtwiki/index.php/Grand_duke

and there are too many separate groups in the knights circle for one group to take over so our way will work at least for awhile, we don't want something like a person in Texas gave the king a bag of weed and got knighted for service to the game (this would be bad and has happened)

Guyvas
Guyvas
Crimson Marauders
Bloodfog
Wu Tang Clan ain't nothin' to fuck with
Guyvas
Mr. Tittyface

Postby Laoric » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:09 pm

Etah wrote:As long as the CoK vote is a majority vote (1/2) and not a super majority vote (2/3rds), I don't think there is much of a danger of one group taking over the CoK and only allowing their people in. There is to many competing interests and agendas, for that to develop.

I don't think the vote requirement undermines anything Randall stated. The knighting record in the Wetlands proves that point.
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Keluric » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:13 pm

The thing to remember is that the corpora is a living document, it is controlled by the Monarch and the will of the people of Westmarch.

This adds a requirement that the WM-CoK be consulted for potential knew knights, and those knights must also be active members of our Kingdom.

If this creates a situation where it is as Sir Randall fears could happen, then the Monarch and the people can ammend the corpora to have to function another way. As a young kingdom, I see no harm in restricting our immediate use of Kingdom level authorities. They should be hard to apply on a whim. We will have one chance to show our true colors as a Kingdom initially, and I think that requiring more, not less, input and approval is a good thing.
Baron Sir Keluric Tryst
Prince of Westmarch

Bellator Adamas
Rutgers Jugging Team
Keluric

Postby Hannoske » Sat Apr 07, 2012 11:45 pm

Guyvas wrote:I feel Grand Duke is too easy to get; look at the people that are Grand Dukes/ Duchesses there are about 50 (46) in a game of several thousand so maybe instead of 2 terms do 3 or 4 full terms as kingdom monarch.

http://amtwiki.net/amtwiki/index.php/Grand_duke

and there are too many separate groups in the knights circle for one group to take over so our way will work at least for awhile, we don't want something like a person in Texas gave the king a bag of weed and got knighted for service to the game (this would be bad and has happened)

Guyvas

Guyvas, based on your comment I feel you are implying that the standard outlined in this document is too easy, since the rest of Amtgard has made so few. The rest of Amtgard has the same standard, and is where we in the committee got it from.
BL corpora wrote:1.17 May become eligible to receive these titles after his/her term is over:
1.171 Knight of the Crown (per the current Award Standardization)
1.172 Duke/Duchess (or Grand Duke for serving two or more terms as Monarch)

DW Corpora wrote:14.2. Grand Duke/Duchess
14.2.1. Served with excellence for two terms as Kingdom Monarch.

CK Corpora, appendix 1 wrote:Grand Duke/Duchess - 2 terms as Kingdom Monarch

DS Corpora, VII.5.3.A wrote:Grand Duke (Grand Duchess) may be granted for serving two complete terms as Monarch and is addressed as “Your Grace.”

WL Corpora wrote:9.6.1 Grand Duke - Suggested criteria: 2 exceptionally successfully completed terms as Kingdom Monarch

IM Corpora wrote:18.A. Grand Duke/Duchess
18.A.a Served well for two terms of Emperor/Empress.

Alright, I am done looking as EVERY corpora I opened reads the same way on this.
Hannoske

Next

Return to Westmarch Kingdom Corpora