Section 3 change proposal

Feedback and updates relating to the Westmarch kingdom corpora.

Section 3 change proposal

Postby Randy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:02 am

I would like to discuss a change to our Copora to clear up althings and how they are conducted. Here is my rough draft proposal:

Section 3. THE ALTHING
1. The Althing is a public meeting open to all members of the Kingdom (or local land in the case of regular local Althings) in which issues are discussed and voted upon.
2. All votes of the Althing require a quorum of at least 51% of voting members.
3. Types of issues discussed and voted on by voting members include:
a. Revising and updating the Corpora with a 2/3 majority
b. Expenditures of the treasury, other than the 10% per month allowed to the Monarch and Prime Minister, with a simple majority.
c. Vote on approving the adoption and promotion of sponsored chapters with a simple majority
d. Vote to change the status of a sponsored land with a 2/3 majority
e. Vote on restoring the membership status of a terminated member with a 2/3 majority
4. Abstentions never count towards a vote outcome except to meet quorum.
5. An Althing shall be scheduled and held (“called”) on the first weekend of the month but may be canceled by the Monarch if no business is to be discussed.
a. Althing will be conducted using the website www.caamtgard.com forum under the subforum Althing, to maintain a history of events. A link to the current Althing discussion thread will be posted to the Westmarch facebook page immediately after the topic is created.
a. The Althing may not be canceled if a petition for impeachment is being presented.
b. The Althing can be rescheduled if it falls on a special event or holiday.
6. The Monarch or designated representative will create the monthly using a forum topic labeled for that specific month and year. topic 30 days prior to the first Tuesday of the month.
a. Anyone may post under the current Althing discussion topic until the Monday before the first Tuesday of the month at which point the Kingdom Monarch or designated representative will lock the thread.
7. The Kingdom Prime Minister or designated representative will call the vote using a separate forum topic labeled for that specific month and year.
b. Only local prime ministers or designated representatives will post voting results along with current membership information for their chapter.
c. The Kingdom Prime Minister or designated representative will close voting by locking the thread at midnight the Monday before the first Tuesday of the month. After that time, all votes not posted will count as non-attendance for quorum purposes.
8. Emergency Althings can be called by the Kingdom Monarch for purposes Kingdom purposes requiring immediate attention.
a. Forum topic should indicate that the Althing is an emergency Althing along with the date and year.
b. Requires at least 7 days discussion before the call to vote
Randy

Re: Section 3 change proposal

Postby Collin the Red » Tue Jul 07, 2015 12:28 pm

I would like the option for local only (land level) althing to be conducted on their official website. Otherwise this change would force all sublands of WM to use Caamtgard.com for all Althings but still have an official website elsewhere.
Baron Collin MacAbee current King of Westmarch
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Postby Fiks » Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:31 pm

Randy, I'd like to clean up and tweak your proposed code for clarity's sake. Permission to tweak?

Now for some notes:

Specifying CAamtgard.com and Facebook directly will require a corpora vote if a future monarch ever decides/is strongly encouraged to change the primary and secondary means of online communication for WM. Is it worth having to make 2/3 of our voters in a given Althing agree to make the change? Would it instead be better to use "Primary" and "Secondary" as the proper nouns in the code and then add a line that they have to be publicly specified? I personally dunno. My small, secret programmer inner child says your variables should be declared separately from where they're used in the code. Then again, I do feel like changing the primary and secondary means of official communication should be difficult. It is a rather massive shift on how the Kingdom would be ran.

And now that I wrote that above contradiction, I would offer myself the following compromise: use the "Primary" and "Secondary" nouns, then declare the actual websites in subitems of the point explaining that "Primary" and "Secondary" will be used. IE: replace item 6 in Section 3 of Article V thusly:

Code: Select all
6. The Monarch shall preside over and call all Althings.
     a. As a floating crown, all Kingdom Althings shall be called in advance on both the Primary and Secondary official online media declared by this corpora.
          i. The Primary and Secondary official online media used by the Kingdom must meet appropriate standards of archival, ease of use, and widespread accepted use by the members of Westmarch.
          ii. "Primary" as used above refers to the forums at Westmarch's officially accepted website (http://www.caamtgard.com/phpBB3/).
          iii. "Secondary" as used above refers to the official accepted group on Facebook (http://www.facebook.com/groups/Westmarch/).
     b. All Kingdom Althing items shall be addressed by the core lands on the weekend called by the Kingdom Monarch.
     c. If the Monarch cannot attend, the Regent may preside over an Althing with the permission of the Monarch.
     d. If a petition to impeach the Monarch is being presented, another member of the Monarchy shall preside over the Althing according to the Order of Precedence.

Little bit of clarification re: Kingdom Althing items being presented at core land Althings slipped into there, for full disclosure. So by declaring a "Primary" and "Secondary" media here, we can further reference them in the document without having to change each individual line that they're used in the document. It's a sacrifice of clarity, of course. Worth it? yes [ ] no [ ]

We then further codify the timing and process as you (Randy) have in your original draft, just referring to the declared variables instead of the website name.

Collin the Red wrote:I would like the option for local only (land level) althing to be conducted on their official website. Otherwise this change would force all sublands of WM to use Caamtgard.com for all Althings but still have an official website elsewhere.

This might be Prussian (einz zwei drei) of me, but I'd like to see results of all Althings on the forums. Each land has their own subforum and one thing that this website is good for is archival. Not perfect, no, but better than Facebook or other such content management/event management/social media sites that we currently use, I feel. Doubly so for the core lands, as their Althings can either indirectly or directly affect Westmarch herself. But that's just the historical/organizational inner nerd in me expressing an opinion.
"How harmful overspecialization is. It cuts knowledge at a million points and leaves it bleeding."—Hari Seldon
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people. Bonk!
Fiks

Postby Water Hammer » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:06 pm

Either add the words 'core land' in front of voting members in paragraph 2 to specify that only members of core lands may vote in kingdom wide althings or add 'all core lands and sponsored lands" to specify that all dues paid members of the kingdom may vote in kingdom level althings.

I think the althing should be different from elections and that all voting members should get a vote at the althing.
Baronet Water Hammer, Stalwart of Crimsonwood
Crimsonwood Rocks!!! I am humbled by your friendships.
Amtgard is the greatest thing my kids ever dragged me into.
Water Hammer

Return to Westmarch Kingdom Corpora