new to amtgard,...help please

Discussion/Information about the Duchy of Wyvern's Spur

Moderators: Azus, Ubrik, Yrduna, Vidya

new to amtgard,...help please

Postby Inurez » Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:12 pm

hay, everyone. Im new to amtgard, as in I have never played before, althoe I am good at sword fighting(exept fencing....I HATE fencing) any way, Im hopeing to get out there this sunday, but I dont know what I need. I mean, I know Im gonna need a wepon, but will one be provided for me until I am able to make my own or buy my own? and there is something about papers, right? please, I need to know this to avoid looking like a retard...
Inurez

Re: new to amtgard,...help please

Postby Kronk » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:43 am

Just come on out, to begin with. We do have some loaner weapons for first-timers, and we can teach you about weapon construction while you're there.
ad astra per alia porci
Kronk
ad astra per alia porci

Postby Collin the Red » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:15 am

Inurez, (and anyone else who found Amtgard in the last 2 months)
Welcome to Amtgard. I was wondering how you found us. As a Sacramento member working on building our membership, it would help to know what is working, what is not, and what new things we should try. Most new members tell us, "I was driving past name of local park, saw a bunch of people in Renfaire clothes, beating on each other, and it looked fun." or "surfing the web..." or "a friend said..." So if you could post how you found us, we can better promote our individual lands.

10q
Baron Collin MacAbee current King of Westmarch
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Postby Azus » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:58 am

We have extra weapons, and sometimes spare shields. Armor is optional, some games don't use it at all, and there's sometimes spare of that too (how it'll fit and how comfortable is another matter!).

(You can disregard the following wall of text and just show up - we get plenty of folks walking by who join up, no problem)

Garb
Wear clothing that can get dirty and beat up. Something tough. If it's renaissancey, that's great, but expect it to get beat up over the weeks / months.

Knee pads are nice if you have them - most people don't.

If you have cleats, please please please no metal cleats. Footwear with good traction is nice - again many people don't bother.

Paperwork wise:
There's a waiver, which you can fill out before hand to bring to the park, or I'll have waivers there (though the wind sometimes makes writing interesting). Since it's one of those legal document thingamagigles, if you're under 18 we must have a parent / guardian sign it as well.

If you get a chance, glance over the rulebook, but for the first day a 5 minute overview is enough to get most people playing. As for remembering what's in there, well, we expect new people to not know the rulebook for the first couple months...

documents
Azus

Postby Lady Tamara » Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:03 am

Also, you will have to sign in every time you attend. This is how you go up in levels. The higher the level the more skills you get. It all depends on what class you choose to be while fighting. You can choose from the classes http://www.caamtgard.com/docs/docs/amtgardrules7r2.pdf It may seem confusing at first, but well worth it in the long run. Have a great time :mrgreen:
Wife to Collin the Red
http://www.meetup.com/amtgard-sacramento
Tamara on the AmtWiki
O.R.K.
Facebook
Woman at Arms to Sir Francis of Ravensholm
Lady Tamara

Postby Inurez » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:47 am

awsome you guys. and yea, Ive read the rule book from the website like, 3 times, so :mrgreen:
but, to awnser Collin the Red I was on youtube, and odin knows what the hell I was looking up, but I came across "How to play Amtgard:live action role playing game" and yes,...I saw people beating eachother ih sticks, and I said "well thats something I know how to do" so, yea. there were hosted by Forest Evergreen. but finding YOU guys was harder than reading the rule book from start to finish. I did come across Wyvern's Spur's web site, but it dident have time or anything, and after hours of serching, my computer ploped me here.
just some constuctive critisiem, and ignor the bad spelling, but puting when you meet on the site is a good idea, or atleast linking it to here
Inurez

Postby Arthur_MacG » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:54 am

Inurez wrote:awsome you guys. and yea, Ive read the rule book from the website like, 3 times, so :mrgreen:
but, to awnser Collin the Red I was on youtube, and odin knows what the hell I was looking up, but I came across "How to play Amtgard:live action role playing game" and yes,...I saw people beating eachother ih sticks, and I said "well thats something I know how to do" so, yea. there were hosted by Forest Evergreen. but finding YOU guys was harder than reading the rule book from start to finish. I did come across Wyvern's Spur's web site, but it dident have time or anything, and after hours of serching, my computer ploped me here.
just some constuctive critisiem, and ignor the bad spelling, but puting when you meet on the site is a good idea, or atleast linking it to here

Moon Speak!
ImageImage
Recipient of 1st order of the "you funking suck"
Arthur_MacG
Intimidating Board Presence

Postby Grix » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:03 am

Inurez wrote:just some constuctive critisiem, and ignor the bad spelling, but puting when you meet on the site is a good idea, or atleast linking it to here

Part of the issue is that this site contains information for 10, soon to be 12, amtgard chapters. Because of that, individual park info exists in the individual park topics. Perhaps I can add a listing to the lands section on the main site, but I'll have to make sure it's kept up with. Or just link each land to the appropriate thread on here.
\
\ji
/.(((
(,/"(((__,--.
\ ) _( /{
!|| " :||
!|| :||
''' '''
Grix
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅

Postby Lady Tamara » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:09 am

Linking sounds good then each land is responsible for keeping the info accurate themselves. This way if royalty comes to visit and they do not have the right times, the lands can be taken and divided among those who visit. I think I saw that somewhere recently... :lol:
Wife to Collin the Red
http://www.meetup.com/amtgard-sacramento
Tamara on the AmtWiki
O.R.K.
Facebook
Woman at Arms to Sir Francis of Ravensholm
Lady Tamara

Postby Inurez » Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:53 am

evil Grix wrote:
Inurez wrote:just some constuctive critisiem, and ignor the bad spelling, but puting when you meet on the site is a good idea, or atleast linking it to here

Part of the issue is that this site contains information for 10, soon to be 12, amtgard chapters. Because of that, individual park info exists in the individual park topics. Perhaps I can add a listing to the lands section on the main site, but I'll have to make sure it's kept up with. Or just link each land to the appropriate thread on here.

0_o now Im confused. Ill try and find what Im talking about, just incase were not on the same page

http://www.foamwar.com/

thats what Im talking about
Inurez

Postby Grix » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:14 pm

Ah. I was under the impression that foamwar.com redirected to this site.
\
\ji
/.(((
(,/"(((__,--.
\ ) _( /{
!|| " :||
!|| :||
''' '''
Grix
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅

Postby Inurez » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:36 pm

nope =P
Inurez

Postby Azus » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:40 pm

Foamwar does link to caamtgard - it just doesn't look like a link.

Foamwar site and domain is owned by an old member who hasn't been out for years. Even when he was 'actively' maintaining foamwar and not coming out, I found him slow and difficult to get in touch with when there were issues; these days, well...

*shrug*
Azus

Postby Inurez » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:52 pm

well...hmmm, we can make a ning site, can we not? I mean, its all free and easy to make

www.ning.com
Inurez

Postby Azus » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:24 pm

What I want to know is which Woman-at-Arms knocked him up.
Azus

Next

Return to Duchy of Wyvern's Spur - Richmond, CA