Parks!

Discussion/Information about the Duchy of Wyvern's Spur

Moderators: Azus, Ubrik, Yrduna, Vidya

Parks!

Postby Azus » Sat May 22, 2010 8:12 pm

Those of you who were out last week know that Thistledown brought up the idea of switching parks, as something to mull over. To recap: Cesar Chavez has great terrain, but it's not so good for recruiting people (a big problem seeing how badly our number suck), as it's a bit out of the way, not near public transit, not where anyone (other than the homeless!) live.

Possibilities I have so far:
1) stay where we are. Saves us the troubles of contacting some of our irregulars, and of putting up a sign where we currently meet!
2)Live Oak Park. As Kronk pointed out, the field already sees heavy use, and the homeless are rather annoying. So are the druggies with their needles.
3) Ohlone - I'm just tossing this out because it's a park. Good location - too skinny unless we want to award points for shooting cars with our arrows.
4)Codornices - I scouted it out today. Photos to follow. In short:
  • a bus stops there
  • Lots and lots and lots of people to recruit! And to laugh at us... ><
  • There's a really nice big field. Sees use from kids dressed up in funny uniforms wielding sticks and tossing a ball (softball league). Possibly sees use from another LARP Sundays - though they might be dead.
  • Smaller field with nice grass - used by picnicers
  • several picnic spots, great for feasts - if not already claimed
  • Some nice terrain, some dangerous terrain (at least for fighting). Cesar Chavez has better terrain.
  • Crappy parking. Lack of parking. Parking issues.
5)Aquatic park - I need to look at it again. From memory, large fields, some terrain, some parking, some frisbies in the way, lots of water to eat arrows.

Anyone has other ideas, I'll see about scouting it out.

Discussion - I guess is happening tomorrow, I though it was going to occur June allthing? If someone would be so good as to post a brief summary of tomorrow's conversation (and maybe print out photos here for others to see) that'd be awesome.
Last edited by Azus on Sat May 22, 2010 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azus

Re: Parks!

Postby Azus » Sat May 22, 2010 8:29 pm

Codornices Park

Google Map
Boring City o Berkeley Page
--------------------------------------------------------------
(click an image to view a larger version, ~9megapixels, 1-2mb)

Softball field (many other uses!)

central area / lower fields

Up and behind the southern picnic areas

The northern stretch of the park is a little too steep, and is actually rather narrow (it only seems large because so many people ignore the private property signs!)

edit. Stupid freaking bbcode. Things are so much <i>easier</i> with simple <font color="green">html!</font>
Azus

Postby Grimbold » Sun May 23, 2010 8:09 am

I like the look of the park in those pics. I know i am not your land, but i would like to play at the place you have pics of.
vincit qui se vincit
vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
Grimbold

Postby TB » Sun May 23, 2010 9:37 am

Even if you do not have your regular game day at that park, it looks like it would be a cool park for a quest.

PLus that bottom bridge pic looks like a cool bridge for a bridge battle.

TB
It's shameful.
Why can't people who dress in costumes and fight with toy weapons comport themselves with more maturity? - Asmund
TB
Terrible Bard

Postby Aeryka » Sun May 23, 2010 12:19 pm

You know the scene in Avatar where Jake tells the Na'vi that he was sent there to deliver them a message? Well, same thing, but for why I made an account.

I go to Berkeley High, so I'd like to provide some insight onto why Cordonices is not a good park to use.

A group goes there that will not be named.
A ton of kids at my school (maybe 30 out of a school over over 3000) go to the group.
They're not liked at all by anyone else at school.
This sounds mean and high school dramatastic, but it's not.
They throw stuff at people, try to make people "role play" with them in exchange for passing by to their classes, and refuse to take school seriously. They give LARP a bad name.
They sign people up for their email list for absolutely no reason.
They signed me up, when I complained, a group of 60 LARPers in full regalia came to find me after school to tell me the error of my ways, and my friends had to scare them off.
They're the reason that some kids at BHS that I knew (but have graduated since) stopped coming out.
Somebody found out I used to do Amtgard and thought I was part of the other LARP, so I had to explain otherwise.

Their LARP is not at all Amtgard: no rules, unsafe equipment (uncovered slabs of foam) and garb (pointy wings and stuff) and more theatrical and flurby. That works for some people, but it's not Wyvern Spur as I remember it. Plus, no rulebook. If I got hit, I could say that I didn't have to take it because I'm a magical anime god of lightning or something, and that I hit you with a mindbolt from across the field by thinking about it and thus didn't even need to throw a ball. The LARP at Cordonices is pretty much accepted as the creepy LARP, and not everyone knows what it's called. I won't name it because I don't need them to know I posted it and to find it via google. Yeah, they're that obsessive.

I don't think we want to be confused with them, plus, their schedule varies and can be on Saturdays, Sundays, whenever. You wouldn't just be losing high school recruits, you'd be losing college ones too (the group is a mix of college and high school kids).

---

Ohlone: No forest, too skinny.
Live Oak: Haven't been, it could be good? Is that the one with the stream and the cool playground?

I still like Cesar Chavez the best. Space, space, space, and no river to lose stuff in.
Aeryka

Postby Styx of Chamonix » Mon May 24, 2010 3:26 pm

Thistle, Reagan, and I went there to do some scouting there as well. A couple things to add:

1) The softball field is reserved for a league until 2 PM on Sundays, but they usually clear out around 1:30. According to the one guy I talked to, it sounded like they were really chill and wouldn't mind us using the softball field when their game was over, even if their reservation was still in effect. Most of the people there were in the 20-40 age range, and would probably be open to a game that involved hitting each other with padded weapons. So that's a possible recruitment source.

2) Near that picnic spot is a long tunnel that goes under Euclid and empties out into some tennis courts. It's paved, so not a good place for regular fighting, but a great place to begin or end a quest.
Styx of Chamonix

Return to Duchy of Wyvern's Spur - Richmond, CA