Foamwar.com

Discussion/Information about the Duchy of Wyvern's Spur

Moderators: Azus, Ubrik, Yrduna, Vidya

Foamwar.com

Postby ItsMeEd » Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:21 pm

Howdy folks, I have a story to tell...

It starts about December 07 when I went to the Forums at Foamwar.com and saw that they are barely in use. I figured I better find out if Foamwar is relevant at all anymore. After driving by the Marina once, I knew foamwar was still relevant, just no so in use anymore.

Then soon after, a terrible thing happened. My domain host took a dump for a few weeks. Then soon after, it did it again, and then again! Woe-oh-woe is me, it sucked.

So, I found a new host, and transfered everything over...

Well, everything except the forums, because they died. Somehow my hosts servers got corrupted.

Ok, to the point, it seems like Foamwar.com needs to be rebuilt as a pointer for here, since more of the activity is taking place on this forum now. Would someone from Wyvern's spur's BoD or Monarchy please contact me so we can discuss a few details on updating the site?

Thanks! And btw, hello to all the people who remember me! Tevacious! aka Ed!

I'll check back here for PMs or replies to this post.
ItsMeEd

Re: Foamwar.com

Postby Hannibal » Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:12 pm

ItsMeEd wrote:Ok, to the point, it seems like Foamwar.com needs to be rebuilt as a pointer for here, since more of the activity is taking place on this forum now.

Yes this is a place for all of the Westmarch lands to forum it up. I feel by removing the forums on foamwar it would only make Westmarch more unitied.
Proud Golden Lion
Nodule wrote:Make a Tetsubo.
Hannibal

Postby Kronk » Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:36 am

Ed, just so's you know, Hannibal ain't a member of Wyvern's Spur, so should keep his filthy opinion to himself. :lol:

That said, he's largely correct. A pointer is probably all we need at this point, and that only for a few more months to let the last of the old flyers/stickers/business cards to disappear into former gawkers' couches and washing machines.

But I'll make sure it gets brought up this Sunday. BTW, it was good to see you out there again. Now all we need to to is convince you to take up the foam again...
ad astra per alia porci
Kronk
ad astra per alia porci

Postby Azus » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:12 am

He's alive!

I'd say I like the idea of our land having its own site, a spot for in house chit chat, house posts, etc, except the forums there were mostly dead before the server hiccups. We want a unified Westmarch - but we also want lands with unique identities. Besides, my guess is that having our own site might help with internet advertising which has been a big boost to numbers (Sita and as I recall Tice and his 50,000 identities heard of LARPs from a web comic, googled em - and that's brought in 7 members to our land).

On the other hand, a googling "Berkeley Amtgard" or "San Francisco Amtgard" gets to Wyvern's Spur via CAAmtgard or the Amtgard Atlas pretty quick....

I figure I'll be outvoted - besides, I'm not even monarchy anymore!
Azus

Postby Hannibal » Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:34 am

Azus wrote:I'd say I like the idea of our land having its own site, a spot for in house chit chat, house posts, etc, except the forums there were mostly dead before the server hiccups. We want a unified Westmarch - but we also want lands with unique identities. Besides, my guess is that having our own site might help with internet advertising which has been a big boost to numbers

You would still have a site, just like Wavehaven does. The site wouldn't have any forums on it, that's all. So the random nerd who googled Amtgard could find your webpage. As for your household stuff there's a few things that could happen. One of which is just make a webpage just for your household or a mailing list. I do not feel that having all the lands on one main forum will make them all the same, because the people in every land are not the same.
Proud Golden Lion
Nodule wrote:Make a Tetsubo.
Hannibal

Postby ItsMeEd » Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:46 pm

Hanni is right in the point that the focus should be here, since this is the combined focus of all the lands. I can rebuild foamwar.com to point here, and maybe hold some nostalgia for us old timers along with some basic info for newbies.

Overall, I'll make a point of the main page to direct people here.

As for my opinion on having all lands on one forum, it's a bit limiting, and I'd imagine a bit confusing for some people. Having individual land "homes" online gives the members a bit of room for private talk and a nicer sense of community. Then again, I'm old school I suppose and dont know what all is going on in the land...

and yeah, maybe one day I'll dust off the foam gear and head out, but it'll be a little while, I'm moving soon.

Ed
ItsMeEd

Postby Quinn » Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:43 pm

I know I have found some very useful information in the forums on foamwar that I have not been able to find here on Caamtgard. Just some stuff about orders (details about what to do for each one) and links for publications. I find it helpful to have several places I can refrence if I don't know something.
For those that are just looking into amtgard, these forums really don't have the same depth of information/explantions for new people.
Elves are wonderful. They provoke wonder.
Elves are fantastic. They create fantasies.
Elves are glamorous. They project glamour.
Elves are terrific. They beget terror.
No one ever said elves are nice.
Quinn

Postby SirEuric » Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:51 pm

Ed,
If it is not too much trouble, I think foamwar should be a serviceable board also. There are some people that just don't want to be restricted to just CAAMTGARD and that is their right. I found some good information there and will start visiting it again to help raise the activity level there.

Prince Euric
Sir Euric Bloodstone
SirEuric

Postby Sita » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:04 pm

Hannibal - shut your mouth... hippie

Sir Euric - you rock

As for me, I don't really go on either board so I have no say, but it was not brought up this last sunday and i don't remember hearing about it the sunday before
Sita Mahakali (सीता महाकाली)
Woman-at-Arms to Squire Grix

Sita

Postby Azus » Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:53 pm

Informal chit chat today, it sounds like most people aren't interested in keeping up foamwar, other than a pointer to the forums here. Between the convenience of one forum to check, and the fact that in the past several months before the server's gremlin infestation few people had een visiting foamwar, there wasn't much of a push to revive it.

On another note, in december after the first server crash, I got a backup of the forums from the admin section, so if it needs to be rebuilt, there's a backup of 99.9% of it.
Azus

Postby Wheels » Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:14 pm

the only part of foamwar that I think we need to retain is the information in the "publications/resorces" section.
It had some links that CA Amt still dosn't
like the dor un Avathar
Dr. Jones wrote:Don't be a child. Pick up a weapon!
Wheels

Postby Grix » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:00 pm

That's an easy fix.
\
\ji
/.(((
(,/"(((__,--.
\ ) _( /{
!|| " :||
!|| :||
''' '''
Grix
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅

Postby Kronk » Tue Mar 25, 2008 1:24 am

At the risk of becoming repetitive, I will remind Grix that he is not permitted to make any updates, changes, edits, removals or in any other way make alterations to any website, whether its content or appearance, until he has updated the placement of my photo on the Golden Lions site.

Really. I mean it.
ad astra per alia porci
Kronk
ad astra per alia porci

Postby Neblig Gemetzel » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:42 pm

It's a mixed bag. Having our own forum gave us a sense of community, but if we're uniting, then why not unite the communities? Still, any government is best served by a thriving discussion and dissent, and our old site was chock full of that. We had a system of public and private threads on foamwar. It allowed people with halfbaked ideas to hash them out within a smaller group before bringing them up in a public setting. A similar system could work here, i.e. lands could have their own section that is a private area for land members. I think it'd important that it be emphasized/stated that it is for specific purposes/issues, i.e. in land policy decisions, etc, so that it doesn't expand and detract energy from the main threads.
It'd be good to avoid gossip and division, but at the same time, having a single public forum is risky, as it can go through stages where small groups dominate the space and dictate the vibe and direction of discussion, stifling creativity and input.
If the foamwar forums seemed dead, this is only in contrast to it's years of thriving life. Amtgard always has an ebb and flow of interest, some seasons you have 25+ players, others fewer than 15. I haven't been around in over a year, so I can't say anything about where it's at now, but I had watched wyvern's spur for five years, and it changed every year. There is always hope with such a fun sport.
Neblig Gemetzel

Postby Laoric » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:52 pm

Shouldn't you be in a tree?
“I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less.”
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Next

Return to Duchy of Wyvern's Spur - Richmond, CA