Barbarian questions can someone help me out?

Discussion/Information about the Duchy of Thor's Refuge

Moderators: Collin the Red, ravenb

Barbarian questions can someone help me out?

Postby Hrokii thundertusk » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:48 pm

[img][img][/img][/img]how long does berserk last ? and would a faux fur mantle count as light leather armor?
Hrokii thundertusk

Re: Barbarian questions can someone help me out?

Postby Collin the Red » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:52 am

Beserk last until you move your dead (post fight after death) body to nervana. Until then if res'ed or given life you are still beserk.

Faux Fur might in some parks give you 1 point armor, but by the rules, the leather is what would give you points. Most fur the leather is too thin and minus 1 for Faux and you have nothing. Monster garb is up the person running the battle, and some Champons allow minimal armor to Barbarians for fur, even if faux fur. Here in TR, that would be the call of the Champion, Duke, or GMR.
Baron Collin MacAbee current King of Westmarch
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Postby SirEuric » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:35 am

Also, it weighs a bit more but do as I did for my original fur vest, attach Quilting to the underside. 1 Makes it less scratchy(what do they back faux fur with, burlap) 2. it actually wicks away sweat to some degree(wash often to prevent a true AWE effect)and 3. quilted is 1 point which is what i got for my "bear fur". Better than nothing!
Sir Euric Bloodstone
SirEuric

Postby Hrokii thundertusk » Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:54 am

What irritates me about that is you almost have to spend money on gear
Hrokii thundertusk

Postby SirEuric » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:02 am

You are correct but with minimal investment you can have gear for a long time. My brown fur vest cost about $10, was worn every game day for almost six years and is still in okay shape and functional after 22 years.
Sir Euric Bloodstone
SirEuric

Postby Hrokii thundertusk » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:16 am

See i dont have anyway to get the money to make any gear/garb a sidenote if i dont have garb would i be barred from playing?
Hrokii thundertusk

Postby Porkins » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:34 am

It is unlikely that would get barred for not having garb... However if you dont have any by say your second month of playing you may only be allowed to play peasant. So think of it this way if you do not have any money to invest in the game whatsoever you have two months to make friends with someone who will make you garb or come up with something.
In times like these, it's helpful to remember that there have always been times like these- Paul Harvey
Porkins

Postby SirEuric » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:35 am

No not barred from playing. see my post in main section. So you don't have the ability to gather recycling and turn it in? Walk neighbor's pet for $1.00, mow lawns, sell lemonade on weekends. It is all about how much you want something, with a small amount of effort you can come up with 10-20 dollars to get started including sword, basic garb, and maybe even a class sash. I don't know your age, however there is always something you can do to earn a small amount of money.
Sir Euric Bloodstone
SirEuric

Postby Clenawe » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:07 am

I don't know your location, but St. Vincent De Paul's thrift store on Watt near El Camino sells fabric for about $1 per yard. It's a junk shop, so you get what you can find, but 3 yds is plenty for a tunic with enough left over for a sword cover. If you don't have a sewing machine, Arts and Sciences on Wednesdays will be able to help you.

Gear can be cheap, or it can be pricy. I don't think any of my swords cost more that $5 all said and done, but other gear can be quite expensive. Pool noodle is about $2, a core can be had easily for $2 ($1 if you look hard,) loaned camp pad and left over sword cover, you're armed and dressed at $7 total and an afternoon of work.

If you want armor, you can build chain on the installment plan: Buy 100yds of wire for about $10 when you can afford it, wind and build as you can. It takes a while, and it's plenty of boring work, but you'll get a full (and murderously heavy) byrnie before the end. I can loan you my wire jig and snips if you're looking to build. Be warned that 100 yards of wire covers a disconcertinly small area, so you will have more than a few of the $10 investments to finish the product, though you would have a usable peice (long mantle to cover shoulder shots that will grow to cover your torso) after only one or two.

A quilted tabbard is another cheap and easy solution. Joannes or Beverlys will sell you quilted cloth, grab three yards, and you're started. Studs from Tandy leather will bump you to 2 points, which is more than most of our Barbars run.
Clenawe

Return to Duchy of Thor's Refuge - Sacramento, CA