Late Roman/Dark Ages Household

General information, announcements, and discussions about Westmarch, Amtgard, and the LARPing life

Late Roman/Dark Ages Household

Postby Artorius » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:53 pm

Ave!

My dear wife and I have decided to go forward with creating a Household in Amtgard. This House would be called Familia Avalonia Britannica, or the Avalon Household of Britain.

The House of Avalon will be dedicated to studying and recreating the people of the Late Roman and Romano-British period for public demonstrations, education and living history displays. Our garb and equipment will all be carefully researched and reconstructed for the utmost in authenticity. We will cover all aspects of life in Britain during the 4th through 6th centuries AD, including both military and civilian portrayals.

Weekly gatherings are planned, where members will work on their kit and practice their drills and fighting if they so wish with the Household’s Legion. The heads of the Household will do everything in their power to help at least with garbing the members of the Household with their first tunics. But after that, it is expected for each member to gather their own kit according to Household guidelines.

If any are interested in joining this Household, just reply to this post. I want to try and schedule a weekly gathering and fighter practice, either on a Tuesday or Saturday most likely, where we will go over all things Late Roman/Dark Age and work on garb.

We will try and at the very least, provide the fabric for the first several members that join, in order to make your own tunics with.

Once the Household is up and running, and we have at least 3 males and 3 females, we are planning on starting up two Fighting Companies. One will be a Late Roman Legion and the other I think will be an all female fighting company.

First meeting isn't set yet, but there is a nice little park next to the place we're staying at that would be ideal for fighter practice. I'm guessing sometime in August will probably be the first meeting if anyone joins that is.

So anyone interested? Questions?
M. Artorius C. f. L. n. Sub. Silvanus

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Avalonia_Britannica/
Artorius

Postby Grix » Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:56 pm

Sounds like a neat idea. I wish you luck with it.
\
\ji
/.(((
(,/"(((__,--.
\ ) _( /{
!|| " :||
!|| :||
''' '''
Grix
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅

Postby Artorius » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:20 pm

Ave Grix,

Thanks, and hopefully it will work out. It is something I've been wanting to do for a while now.

One thing I want to do, once the Household gets going, is perhaps have Quests themed along Dark Age myths and legends and even modern stories... such as a wild boar hunt, battles with Grendel, quests for the Grail, even encounters with... the White Rabbit! Never said they had to all be serious...

Artorius

Postby Grix » Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:25 pm

Right on. That's an interesting choice of legends you chose. Dame Ailanthus recently held a reign long series of Quests/Tournaments/Battlegames themed around the holy grail that were run in each of the northern CA lands and ended at our Darkshore campout in May. Afterwards, Hannibal started a similar series based on Grendel in Falcon's Reach.

The more people willing to run fun events and games, the better. I'm a little over extended at the moment, but let me know if I can be of any assistance.
\
\ji
/.(((
(,/"(((__,--.
\ ) _( /{
!|| " :||
!|| :||
''' '''
Grix
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅

Postby Artorius » Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:00 am

Those quests sounded fun, too bad I wasn't here to participate in them.

I'll probably start the household meetings, perhaps on August 7th, a Tuesday, so that way it doesn't interfer with House Athena (which is a great house that I enjoy attending), and gives people time to recover after Sunday's Amtgard.

I should put a note about the level of authenticity I'm seeking however. I just want to assure anyone that is thinking of joining the House, I'm not going to be a garb nazi, nor am I going to demand perfection from the start. In a way, thats one of the reason's for the Roman Britain as the focus of the house, because there is so little known about the garb and such of that time, that its nearly impossible to be 100% accurate, so some leeway is to be expected. And I've not even gotten my tunic finished yet, so I'm not going to constantly harass anyone to get theirs done immediately either.

Artorius

Return to General Discussion