WoW Gamers Spread Plague

General information, announcements, and discussions about Westmarch, Amtgard, and the LARPing life

WoW Gamers Spread Plague

Postby Fiks » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:49 pm

BBC Reports.

This is the second time I've seen a WoW article on the BBC in a year. That either says something for how prevalent it is in society... or there's several players in the BBC's writing and editorial staff.

Or both.
"How harmful overspecialization is. It cuts knowledge at a million points and leaves it bleeding."—Hari Seldon
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people. Bonk!
Fiks

Postby Laoric » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:20 pm

9 million people can't be wrong.

You can take all the people playing every other MMO in the world and it probably wouldn't come close to WoW.
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Mathis » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:23 pm

I've tried quitting WoW twice, but when I end up with so much extra free time... I get dragged in again. :cry:
Mathis

Postby Azus » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:31 pm

Laoric wrote:9 million people can't be wrong.

And yet, every presidential election, everyone who voted for the loser is wondering how so many more people could be wrong... ;)
Azus

Postby Laoric » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:19 pm

Azus wrote:

And yet, every presidential election, everyone who voted for the loser is wondering how so many more people could be wrong... ;)

That would be true if 9,000,001 people played a game other than WoW. But so far it seems to be the most popular. Good thing there's no Electoral College for video games. ;)
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Hannibal » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:53 pm

How many thought the world was square or the earth was the center of the solar system?
Proud Golden Lion
Nodule wrote:Make a Tetsubo.
Hannibal

Postby Laoric » Mon Aug 20, 2007 9:59 pm

Hannibal wrote:

How many thought the world was square or the earth was the center of the solar system?

Not that many, actually. It wasn't until Aristotle got famous a few hundred years after he died that people accepted his view of the universe.
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Hannibal » Mon Aug 20, 2007 10:01 pm

Thats cool, I didn't know. So how can you get this sickness? I want to go kill UC.
Proud Golden Lion
Nodule wrote:Make a Tetsubo.
Hannibal

Postby LucasTheLost » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:41 am

Hannibal wrote:Thats cool, I didn't know. So how can you get this sickness? I want to go kill UC.

I used to be a WoW player, but quit long before this whole plague thing. I did some googling and found that it has it's own Wikipedia article.

You can't get it any more (as a disease).

What happened was that a high-level instance boss had this "corrupted blood" debuff that was contagious... 300hp/sec or so for an unspecified (but long) time. And pets could get it. If you dismissed a pet with it, they still had it when you summoned them again. This was the case with both combat and non-combat pets.

So if someone dismissed their pet kitten while fighting this thing, then conjured it up again in some major city, UTTER HAVOC broke out. High-level characters could survive it (by healing themselves repeatedly), but anyone who wasn't up for soaking up several thousand points of damage over a minute or 5 was dead meat.

Apparently there were some bastards that were deliberately infecting cities for jollies. It got bad enough that people started staying out of cities all together.

The corrupted blood debuff has since been altered so that it has an AoE rather than being contagious.
BS Lucas the Lost
Siar Geata
I'm a DADDY!

<wheeze>Get off my lawn.</wheeze>
LucasTheLost
I made a baby

Return to General Discussion