Cost of a carbon rod splinter from an arrow from Darkshore:

General information, announcements, and discussions about Westmarch, Amtgard, and the LARPing life

Cost of a carbon rod splinter from an arrow from Darkshore:

Postby Azus » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:25 pm

$3,025.06.

No, I didn't have it gold plated. In fact, the doc threw it out after removing it.

I should have kept it for gold plating, that would have been cheap in comparison.

I'm starting to think I should have taken Seth's advice - DRINK THROUGH IT!

For comparison, the exact same procedure on a dog would cost $100-$250.

(and yes, I have insurance)
Azus

Postby Grix » Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:45 pm

No fun at all.

People really need to check arrows before they fire them. It's very simple. When you pick up an arrow, hold it by the knock and flick it up or down. If you hear it make a noise or see it bend, throw it off the field. I know I got a number of my arrows crushed at Darkshore, and someone that borrowed my bow managed to fire at least one of them because I found a chunk of an arrow shaft lodged in my riser after the event.
Grix
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅

Postby deimos » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:22 pm

Jeebus.

I'm starting to see why so many people are hating on arrows...
Deimos
GMR of SSD
deimos

Postby Grix » Thu Jun 14, 2007 1:59 pm

deimos wrote:Jeebus.

I'm starting to see why so many people are hating on arrows...

Arrows and polearms get the most complaints at amtgard.

There are a number of possibilities for arrows to be built poorly, or be damaged during use, where the possible results are far worse then being hit with an illegal sword.

The way to ensure saftey is to make sure your champion is doing their job. Have weapon checks often. Make sure they know what's legal and what's not. Make sure that the rules are enforced fairly and evenly. Anyone shooting a bow should also be checking their own equipment daily, and looking for obvious problems when they fire.
Grix
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅

Postby Azus » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:23 pm

At least I got this splinter picking up after the last event.

What's bad is the lost arrow off to the side got mixed up with the broken arrow off to the side, which I figured out once I counted them. The system worked while I was shooting them...
Azus

Postby Niveus » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:12 pm

NEVER NEVER shoot a split carbon arrow. If you have ever seen a slow motion video of a arrow being shot you will know that they undergo immense stresses. For the lucky few, they will receive a splinter or two that can be removed with tweezers. For the unlucky carbon arrows can explode sending fragments all over your face and chest. The thing is, is that carbon fiber will not show up on x-ray so they have to find them all by feel. I know people that have had this happen to and it is not pleasant.

Please check all your arrows every day you come out to the field. Both the Amtgard heads and the carbon shafts. Like Grix said, If you flex the shaft and it makes any noise at all please do not shoot it.
Niveus

Postby Sita » Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:22 pm

the one i hated was my own fault. last labor day, dragon blade, shot an arrow that was apparently broken and a rather LARGE splinter in my thumb. I remember the on sight nurse saying they could take it out with tweezers. I looked at her like she had sprouted two extra heads. Never NEVER take out a large splinter by hand. The damn thing will shatter and splinter in your finger and then you'd have to fish out hundreds of tiny pieces.

went to the emergency room, i think a 1 hr drive one way (out in the middle of no where. actually got through quite fast though.

i duno, i think dratz running full speed and hitting someone in the head with a legal shield is more dangerous than a legal arrow. :-D *cheeky*
Sita Mahakali (सीता महाकाली)
Woman-at-Arms to Squire Grix

Sita

Return to General Discussion