v8 Feedback Open Thread

General information, announcements, and discussions about Westmarch, Amtgard, and the LARPing life

v8 Feedback Open Thread

Postby Clenawe » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:00 am

Everyone,

I've been tasked with providing a feedback document to the Committee on our playtest experience with v8.

Questions, concerns, comments are all welcome. If you don't want to post here, PM me.

If you think your voice doesn't matter, I promise that it does. I had problems with the balance of the Warrior class, and I got those problems addressed. I'm not a knight, I'm not a 20 year veteran, and the committee doesn't know me from Adam, but they listened to my concerns and after a significant amount of discussion, improvements were made. Kalandra had some concerns about the druid spell menu, and they were taken seriously. This is our time to make this game the one we want.

Lets hear it.
Clenawe

Re: v8 Feedback Open Thread

Postby Scorch Flamedancer » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:17 am

I'm not that eloquent as this person on my concerns for Scout, but I basically agree with everything they say. https://docs.google.com/document/d/12wW ... MLNjQ/edit

I also think they deserve -some- special arrows. Not all of them, but maybe just two. Scout isn't even a class anymore, it's just an anti-class...
My body is my sword, my mind is my blade. Without them, I would be nothing.
Scorch Flamedancer

Postby Scoot » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:24 pm

I'm also saddened at the loss of scout. I say this because it's really not worth playing Scout any more.

But I'm also in disagreement with the prohibition from using a bow and a shield at the same time. Why is the skirmishing archer prevented from defending themselves? People say that it is supposed to be a team game and that the archer should have a shieldman to defend him, but that pulls someone off the line, which is anti team.
"Any attack on this monarchy would be useless. The Corpora is the ultimate power in the universe.
"The Corpora is insignificant next to the power of the Althing."
Scoot

Postby Ka'a Acklie » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:46 pm

I've been playing scout since I started the game and I think that their abilities and strengths have slowly been whittled away. I'd like to see us at least get some special arrows back and then secondly our long bow back.

We're the Robin Hoods of the game and every time I picture him he at least has a flame arrow.
Fru Squire Ka'a F Acklie

Ego Sum Finis
Ka'a Acklie

Postby Clenawe » Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:57 pm

For the record, I am going to bite my tongue on all of these points. This is not a venue to discuss or argue the merits or flaws of any position, it is a place to compile feedback.
Clenawe

Postby Scorch Flamedancer » Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:11 pm

...Then why say anything?
My body is my sword, my mind is my blade. Without them, I would be nothing.
Scorch Flamedancer

Postby Clenawe » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:52 am

Karissa: I am not sure which point I shouldn't have said anything.

I commented that I will not be providing justifications, explanations and the like in this thread because I wanted to get feedback unaffected by my personal opinions. This thread should be about you guys' feedback, not debate on the points I feel are important. Even the misconceptions are important--it points to things in the RAW that need to be reworded.

I said that I would not be providing commentary of the feed back in this thread because I wanted people to know that I am paying attention, even if I'm not arguing with them.
Clenawe

Postby Randy » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:50 am

Clenawe wrote:Karissa: I am not sure which point I shouldn't have said anything.

I commented that I will not be providing justifications, explanations and the like in this thread because I wanted to get feedback unaffected by my personal opinions. This thread should be about you guys' feedback, not debate on the points I feel are important. Even the misconceptions are important--it points to things in the RAW that need to be reworded.

I said that I would not be providing commentary of the feed back in this thread because I wanted people to know that I am paying attention, even if I'm not arguing with them.

I would actually like to not only here your opinions (you are our representative) but the justifications as you understand for the decisions being made. One of the things that garnered my support for V8 along time ago was one of the committee members walking me through some of the decision making process. for example: Why does a warrior have to wear a purple sash? (this one was v7 but its most memorable) Because in Roman times the greatest warriors in the Roman army wore purple vice red cloaks, they were the imperial guard. While I still don't really like wearing purple (it clashes) I at least have a logical explanation.
Randy

Postby Guyvas » Mon Oct 28, 2013 12:50 pm

Every class fills a role, Scout's role is to counter and kill assassins/insub players ...so think of it in that context...there are some things they have been discussing changing ie tracking to 1st lvl
Guyvas
Crimson Marauders
Bloodfog
Wu Tang Clan ain't nothin' to fuck with
Guyvas
Mr. Tittyface

Postby Beboman » Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:50 am

delete
Last edited by Beboman on Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Please visit the Crimson Sanctum website here, wiki here, and ORK here.
Beboman

Postby Beboman » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:43 am

being a level 6 scout (the ORK is wrong) i really don't like the loss of long bow, first of all, a big thing with the scout was his ability to not only heal his friends but be able to make people back off of them so he could do so, i.e having my pac-man shield so i could protect them while i healed them. but now you are making me choose between the two? that seems kinda dumb, i might as well be a warrior and then use the bow and shield. Also, the loss of our special arrows dosnt seem fair at all. You would think that someone like a scout, or a Robin Hood, type character would be able to have a poison arrow, or even an arrow that could perhaps stun an enemy for a few seconds. IMO, the archers where the one with the shear force arrows, just doing a ridiculous amount of damage in one shot, along with the armor and lives. the scouts how ever where the ones with the special arrows, they didn't do as much damage, but they had some cool effects to help them. I really hope they change it to where we rather get special arrows, or get long bow back. I think the shadow step is a good idea in theory but it won't work in practice, it would make more step for a scout to sneak up on a target, then to just vanish out of thing air. so like, if the scout is not within 20 feet of an enemy he can use "sneak" which makes him insub while no one is around, this way, he could get behind trees and such without being shot in the face to do so. it would make a lot more sense if you ask me. it would be like the opposite of sanctuary.
Beboman

Postby Beboman » Wed Nov 06, 2013 10:58 am

I hope they change scout to what we are sugjesting, I want my special arrows back.
Beboman

Postby Porkins » Thu Nov 07, 2013 7:28 pm

Here is my take on the classes I normally play.
Assassin, I like all of the new abilities that really give assassins a role to serve on the field. One thing I might suggest is a dimensional rift type ability or spell, because as it is if two assassins meet one could just go insub and never come out of it and the other couldn't do anything to pull him out.

Monk, double flail monk!!!!! I was worried about Resurrect being chargeable for battlegames but so far as monk I rarely have seen times where I use it and when I do it is typically to get a healer who is much better at those kinds of things back up. Not much else to say as it is pretty much the same as it ever was, it now just has to compete with classes that rival it in strength.

Scout, A mixed bag in the best way possible. I find on the field I have to look for ways to make myself useful instead of just doing my own thing. What I think I like best about it is at most times I can say"Oh they have X, I will take care of that." Pesky Assassins flanking with insubs? tracking. Wizard throwing around too many fireballs? Blessing against flame will come as nice surprise for him. When wearing armour I can function as a bit of a tank (not as well as a warrior but better than most). The lack of specialty arrows isn't really noticeable to me as with so many other abilities focusing in archery seems off, Still being able to take a bow though really fills that Jack of all trades role. Also I see the lack of specialty arrows as more of a boost to the Archer class than as downside to scout.

Warrior, Without armour it has a few abilities that make it better than peasant. With Armour you can become even more of a tank than in v7 and actually not have to rely on a spellcasters for repairs(all the time). I like the way arrows interact with the armour making it worthwhile to carry around the extra weight and Ancestral armour helps negates those pesky fireballs. Good boosts all around and I find it fills its role on the field well without countering anything too much to make it op.

Peasant, I know some people have already argued that limiting peasants to single short was how they were intended to be in the first place, but how come we are expected to be able to find and use a short weapon but we are now rubbish with daggers? Seems like its unfair we are the only ones not able to walk round the field with 10"-18" weapon. Perhaps single short or single dagger would be more appropriate?
In times like these, it's helpful to remember that there have always been times like these- Paul Harvey
Porkins

Postby Beboman » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:24 pm

so how do we know if they changed scout back to normal or not? or atleast fixed it?
Beboman

Postby mikezilla » Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:18 pm

Need to allow as many armor modifiers as the player has built-in/under their armor and add more modifiers for plate. Raise the max armor points to match.
Baron Mikezilla Darkwater
Squire to Sir Keluric Tryst
Member of Bellator Adamas
Member of House Bloodfog
"My sword sings the death it brings to briggins and to Kings."-Warriors Song, Sir. Forrest Evergreen
mikezilla

Next

Return to General Discussion