Tax ID number?

General information, announcements, and discussions about Westmarch, Amtgard, and the LARPing life

Tax ID number?

Postby Scorch Flamedancer » Fri Dec 06, 2013 2:58 pm

We have people in our group that want to start fundraising more and start demos on their campus and such, but we're not able to do it without the tax ID number to prove we're a legitimate NPO. Does anyone have it or know where I can find it?
My body is my sword, my mind is my blade. Without them, I would be nothing.
Scorch Flamedancer

Re: Tax ID number?

Postby Azus » Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:56 pm

You get it from us on the BOD!

One thing to consider, we are a 501c7, which means donations are not tax deductible by the donor. Be sure to make that clear to outside donors! Also, no more than 35% of Westmarch funding may come from outside / non-member sources; more than that and we risk out non-profit status.

We talked about this last night thanks to another group wanting it for fundraising. We haven't finalized protocol yet, the short version is we want to keep track of how it's being used. Let us know in general what fundraising you're planning on; projected income from said fundraising; what organization(s) require it and why.

Timewise... Is there a timeline you're working on? With the holidays, and bod elections coming up, it might be interesting getting this done quickly.
Azus

Re: Tax ID number?

Postby Scorch Flamedancer » Fri Dec 06, 2013 7:03 pm

There is no particular timeline with an immediate deadline, or exact plans. We'd like to have some funds before our local Ren Faire in late April. We have a member that was once PM and is now GMR that had a few problems with fundraising because we didn't have the number (this was during they "are we/aren't we" Kingdom bid). I believe one of the fundraisers was that we have one of those promotions with Islands (and other varies restaurants) where 10% of your bill goes towards your NPO. And even if you don't want us to use it for that reason, we do need the number so we can hold demos outside of fund raising. One of our member's college refuses to allow him to hold one without proof we're a real NPO, instead of just morons beating on each other... (though I feel they aren't necessarily mutually exclusive). Same with our local street fair. In order to qualify for the NPO price to have a booth, we need to prove we're an NPO.
My body is my sword, my mind is my blade. Without them, I would be nothing.
Scorch Flamedancer

Return to General Discussion