Darkshore and the BoD

General information, announcements, and discussions about Westmarch, Amtgard, and the LARPing life

Re: Darkshore and the BoD

Postby Laoric » Sat Mar 15, 2014 11:55 pm

Randy wrote:Can't we all get along?!

In general, over the past 22 years of playing amtgard and having been autocrat for dozens of events and on the crat team for nearly 50, the autocrat signs the contracts. How does this happen? Because the BOD has reviewed the bid and provided their approval. The copora (bylaws) only state that the BOD "Deal with any government or outside agencies, businesses, or organizations, or any of the local chapter’s subsidiary chapters with regard to contractual obligations. " That doesn't mean they are unable to allow an autocrat the authority to sign contracts.

It hurts me that instead of sitting around the table talking these issues out, our leaders are choosing to enter into petty politics and he said/she said antics. I'm wish I lived in an area where I could play amtgard 1/2 as much as you all have the ability too. I also wish you would make the events a little closer to southern lands, though it won't matter much since i'm about to deploy again.

Please for the sake of California Amtgard, put aside your differences and chose to work together rather than against one another. IF anything, send me the contract, I'll sign it.

With the exception of Spring War, I know of zero major events that have BoD oversight on how they are run. It has always been the monarch appointing an autocrat to run the event.

An autocrat is nothing more than the monarchy's representative for running the event. The worry I have with having this person with the authority to sign contracts on the kingdom's behalf is that it opens the door to abuse. This is why we have the BoD act as the buffer between mundane and in-game: to prevent a single person from making contractual obligations that the kingdom is then required to be responsible for.

My question is, should the BoD be given the power to veto? The Corpora doesn't give them that power now. Do we want them to have that power?
“I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less.”
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Randy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:48 am

Remember, the monarchy sits on the bod. The bid goes through the crown and the bod usually. That is if its a kingdom event. In many cases, the monarchy is given authority over decisions like this because its very trivial and not something that causes an issue.
Randy

Postby Laoric » Sun Mar 16, 2014 9:36 am

Randy wrote:Remember, the monarchy sits on the bod. The bid goes through the crown and the bod usually. That is if its a kingdom event. In many cases, the monarchy is given authority over decisions like this because its very trivial and not something that causes an issue.

What kingdoms do that? CK with Spring War. Who else? I don't believe NLCC, Rakis, or Clan are done that way but I could be wrong.

Is this something we would like to adopt? Making the BoD part of the bid approval?
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Randy » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:01 am

Neverwinter has always done that. Mainly because the BOD has to be the ones to authorize use of group funds past the 10% the monarchy gets.
Randy

Postby Laoric » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:17 am

Randy wrote:Neverwinter has always done that. Mainly because the BOD has to be the ones to authorize use of group funds past the 10% the monarchy gets.

That's an interesting quirk for doing things. Obviously it hasn't ruined their ability to function, but I wonder if it's necessary.

I'd still like to hear if people would rather have the elected monarchy or the elected BoD be the the group that approves bids for events and what-not.
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Porkins » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:09 pm

I would argue for the Monarch to be the one to make the decision on bids for events and what not as the Monarchy are the ones with the in game responsibility (and decision making power) whereas the BoD is mostly for audits, contact with outside groups, or contractual obligations. Ailanthus's event proposal that the previous Monarch decided to start running events under, and I decided to keep up, makes a process for bids where the Regent, Monarch, and original event owner are the deciders for bids (which I will bump shortly because we really should discuss that for voting).
Porkins

Previous

Return to General Discussion