Polearm flag sleeve

General information, announcements, and discussions about Westmarch, Amtgard, and the LARPing life

Polearm flag sleeve

Postby hamster_mk_4 » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:44 am

In a recent battle game I tied an old tabard to my pole arm to make a temporary flag. I got to thinking, if I were to sew a flag with a folded over section large enough to slide over my pole arm like a 2nd weapon cover I could have a temporary quest item that looks less janky than the tied on tabard solution. Before I follow though with this cunning plan I would like to ask the community a few things:

Has this been tried before?
Is there a problem with the sleeve sliding off mid game?
Does the addition of 3 feet of loose cloth make the flag/polearm not strike legal? (for purposes of the last game we played we indicated the flag was not a strike legal)
Is the flag/polearm melee block legal? (The concern is that the flag is not held like a pole arm and some of the non padded grip area was being maneuvered around in melee.)
If a player were to use an indestructible quest item to block an arrow/spellball does the player who holding the item suffer any effects?
Would making flag sleeves for sword length items make more sense than polearm length items?
hamster_mk_4

Re: Polearm flag sleeve

Postby Ka'a Acklie » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:38 am

Dame Ailanthus use to have a flag with her heraldry tied to her pole. I don't remember her having issues with it
Fru Squire Ka'a F Acklie

Ego Sum Finis
Ka'a Acklie

Postby Dame Ailanthus » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:39 pm

I did, and I loved it. Rather than a whole sleeve, I just had ties at the top and bottom of the pennant. They were tied below the strike legal blade, on the courtesy padding. It was a light weight painted silk, so didn't change the maneuverability at all. I did have a couple of complaints about the fabric whipping people, but as much as I fought with it, it was a pretty small percentage. I fought with that one for a year off and on, until it fell apart.
pole arm.jpg

The next picture is of a battlegame at Clan last year. The pole arm across the front had a silk pennant (the blue one)on it like the other, but for that game it also had a team flag (maroon with a golden lion)...Kind of like what I think you're talking about. That was heavy, and unwieldy. It started out just another weapon, but for game play purposes it was made indestructible, and immune to everything.
2013 clan cropped.jpg

As for the questions of legal hits...As long as it is an otherwise legal weapon, a flag shouldn't change that.
Rules on using game items are always up to the person running the game...If they say you can't block with it, you can't. If they say it's indestructible, or invulnerable, it is.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Dame Ailanthus

Postby Water Hammer » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:10 am

Safety people? Your pennant/flag could whip someone, strangle someone, cut skin, hurt an eye, etc. There is a limit on tails, flails and fabric on active weapons for a reason.

Hate to be the downer but that would not fly at Crimsonwood, you would only be using such as a goal or relic on my field (no striking, no blocking).
Baronet Water Hammer, Stalwart of Crimsonwood
Crimsonwood Rocks!!! I am humbled by your friendships.
Amtgard is the greatest thing my kids ever dragged me into.
Water Hammer

Postby Etah » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:18 pm

I saw flags on several pole arms at Clan and have seen them regularly used at events in Westmarch without ever there being an incident. There could be issues, but that is best resolved by reeves being attentive. I think we can safely default that pole arm pennants or flags are fine unless they prove them self to be unsafe.
~Baronet Squire Etah Landshark
Corsair
Shire of Aegir's Hall

"Hate is a strong word, but I found out if you say it backwards what appears is a bald nerd." - MC Nameloc
Etah

Postby Randy » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:17 pm

Water Hammer wrote:Safety people? Your pennant/flag could whip someone, strangle someone, cut skin, hurt an eye, etc. There is a limit on tails, flails and fabric on active weapons for a reason.

Hate to be the downer but that would not fly at Crimsonwood, you would only be using such as a goal or relic on my field (no striking, no blocking).

Its only a little less unsafe than a pole-arm is already. The pennant "might" hit someone and it might wrap around something, but it is FAR more likely going to cause issues for the wielder. Poles are already easy to defeat, adding unnecessary weight and obstruction to it, just adds to it. I HIGHLY doubt anyone has ever been strangled, cut, or caught in the eye with a pennant, over say the fletching of an arrow, a flail, or spell ball tail.
Randy

Return to General Discussion