Aztech Personas

General information, announcements, and discussions about Westmarch, Amtgard, and the LARPing life

Aztech Personas

Postby hamster_mk_4 » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:30 am

Has anyone ever done an Aztech warrior garb or persona in Amtgard? I have seen a few examples of Amtgard obsidian swords on Google image search but no full blown Eagle or Jaguar warrior garb. This is purely academic as I don't plan on adopting new garb or a persona.
Reference Images:
hamster_mk_4

Re: Aztech Personas

Postby Ka'a Acklie » Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:35 am

I've seen several Aztec style garbs over the year. Even Sons of Thunder uses a thunderbird
Fru Squire Ka'a F Acklie

Ego Sum Finis
Ka'a Acklie

Postby Aidenn Ketla » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:23 pm

I have zero interest in any form of Aztec persona, but I would absolutely adore fighting with a macuahuitl and see it as the only possible excuse I would ever have to venture into flat-blade play. I just cannot for the life of me figure out a viable schematic for covering the "blades" that would both be a) legal and b) aesthetically pleasing.
Lord Aidenn "Dusk" Ketla
Aidenn Ketla

Postby Scorch Flamedancer » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:40 pm

The sticking out edges of the blade would be the only strike surface. So you could adhere cloth to that (or cloth tape), and plastidip around to keep the cloth in place since nothing else is a strike surface. Or use pantihose, then plastidip only the flats. Just brainstorming.
My body is my sword, my mind is my blade. Without them, I would be nothing.
Scorch Flamedancer

Postby Aidenn Ketla » Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:59 pm

I disagree with that assessment. From a structural standpoint, they're not entirely dissimilar to a "nail-bat" concept. While the sticking-out-blades would be the only sharp aspect of the weapon, disallowing strikes from the continuous edge (meant as "side," not "sharp edge," naturally) they'd be "implanted in" would be akin to saying maces, staves, warhammers and mauls do not qualify as weaponry because they aren't sharp. They were still a narrow enough strike surface to shatter a forearm quite easily, even without having the sheer heft to them of a maul. Probably moreso than a modern Louisville, if strictly due to the surface area of impact.

That said, the plastidip idea has some merit, barring the fact that I see compressions of the "blade" foams causing people to be accidentally struck with the plastidipped portions, which in my understanding, is a no-no.

I was also under the impression that cloth tape was disallowed for melee weapon striking surface covers. Which is a shame, because I could easily see them being a workaround - to both two-tone the weapon (for that obsidian-meets-wood appearance) and allow for hemmed openings in the "base flat blade" cover for the "obsidian bits" to stick out from.

Perhaps a dual cover system. One to cover the pips, and a secondary exterior cover with the hemmed openings to allow the pips to peek through.

Sounds unwieldy as sin, but could still manage to be both legal and aesthetically pleasing... I may have a project to add to the list.
Lord Aidenn "Dusk" Ketla
Aidenn Ketla

Postby Scorch Flamedancer » Sun Sep 14, 2014 12:13 am

Maybe something like that, but flat blade?
My body is my sword, my mind is my blade. Without them, I would be nothing.
Scorch Flamedancer

Postby Aidenn Ketla » Sun Sep 14, 2014 4:20 am

That looks -amazing-. What's the legality about exposed cording tying down the cover to better display the pips, though? I know cording for flails has to be foamed over.
Lord Aidenn "Dusk" Ketla
Aidenn Ketla

Postby Fiks » Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:11 am

Looks like hair ties? Cloth covered elastic? I know the relic tetsubo that still shows up at Wavehaven every now and then used grip tape to torque the cover down. Don't recall anyone ever having a complaint beyond firmness within legal limits.

As long as the "valleys" are still outside of the minimum diameter I don't imagine there being an issue. It's like using a sword with a tear in the blade: you don't want anywhere that the core could conceivably come into contact with your victim. That and I think (without being bothered to open up a rulebook) there's verbiage of the strike legal portion being continuous.
"How harmful overspecialization is. It cuts knowledge at a million points and leaves it bleeding."—Hari Seldon
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people. Bonk!
Fiks

Return to General Discussion