Crown Quals - Item Categorization

General information, announcements, and discussions about Westmarch, Amtgard, and the LARPing life

Crown Quals - Item Categorization

Postby Aidenn Ketla » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:17 pm

Couple questions, specifically for Ka'a since she's Regent and all. Then I figured since it's not readily apparent to me it might not be to others as well, and she might want to address it publicly - or someone else will already know the answer. Either way.

What categories do the following two items fall under, in terms of A&S?

Class Sashes - I'm conflicted between "Garb > Fighting Garb," "Garb > Other Garb," and "Construction > Active Construction"
Complete set of all 10 non-knight, standard handbook classes, woven from macrame cord.

Spell Strips - I'm conflicted between "Garb > Garb Accessory" and "Construction > Active Construction" again.
Complete "class kit" of spell strips as per a specified class (all the spell strips they could realistically need, including all appropriate colors), again woven from macrame cord and affixed to a braided (macrame) bracelet-type loop apparatus for tie-ons, bracelet being made in the owner's/user's personal heraldry colors (for distinction among other spell strips both in terms of ownership and ease of reeving).

To aid in discussion/definitions, this is copy/pasted straight (and then formatted for ease of reading) from the corpora, so nobody has to go look anything up:

Category: Garb
Fighting Garb - Made for wear on the battlefield
Court Garb - Made for wear during Court or formal functions
Monster Garb - Made for portrayal of a monster class
Other Garb - Garb not covered within the other Garb events
Garb Accessory - Belts, pouches, favors, but not jewelry.

Category: Construction
Weapon - Weapons legal for Amtgard use
Shield - Shields legal for Amtgard use
Armor - Any form of armor for Amtgard use
Banner - Any banner construction
Active Construction - Items made for battlefield use not covered by other events
Passive Construction - Items not for battlefield use and not already covered by other events
Lord Aidenn "Dusk" Ketla
Aidenn Ketla

Re: Crown Quals - Item Categorization

Postby Laoric » Wed Sep 17, 2014 4:04 pm

Both items should go into active construction. You could make a case for sashes to be garb accessory but you might be at the mercy of your judges disagreeing.
“I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less.”
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Aidenn Ketla » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:22 pm

One could just as easily argue that Sashes are a part of the Fighting Garb category. Strictly on the basis that Colors are still -expected- to be garbed, and not required to wear sashes since they don't participate in battlegames... It's only one argument, but it's valid.
Lord Aidenn "Dusk" Ketla
Aidenn Ketla

Postby Laoric » Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:08 pm

Aidenn Ketla wrote:One could just as easily argue that Sashes are a part of the Fighting Garb category. Strictly on the basis that Colors are still -expected- to be garbed, and not required to wear sashes since they don't participate in battlegames... It's only one argument, but it's valid.

You won't get far arguing that with experienced A&S judges. In the same way that a necklace does not feast garb make, a sash does not fighting garb make.
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Porkins » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:08 pm

I would say sashes/strips belong more in the "other garb" sub category rather than active construction. Mostly because I feel the techniques used to make them are most similar to the garb category and "other garb" is specifically for things that are not otherwise listed that are garb. If not, I wonder what would fit in the "other garb" subcategory that wouldn't be better placed in the other garb subcategories. Active construction also works, but I feel "other garb" covers the area better. Whatever category sashes gets placed, spell strips should be in the same place though.

And the RoP says the class sashes are garb, so there is also that.
In times like these, it's helpful to remember that there have always been times like these- Paul Harvey
Porkins

Postby Laoric » Wed Sep 17, 2014 8:47 pm

Other garb, to me, is for stuff like hats, non-class sashes and the like. Class sashes and enchantment strips are for use on the field. That makes them active construction.
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Porkins » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:36 pm

I have always seen active construction used more for things like castle walls or the dog skull and foam spikes for jugging. Seems to me that a sash is more like a hat than it is to those types of things.
In times like these, it's helpful to remember that there have always been times like these- Paul Harvey
Porkins

Postby Laoric » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:22 am

There's logic there, but active construction is for stuff on the battlefield. Spell balls, enchantment strips, and class sashes only have a purpose in a battle game. That's my distinction for it. A sash for a position of monarchy is totally other garb.
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Ka'a Acklie » Fri Sep 19, 2014 8:20 am

I'd go for active construction, but if it is extra fancy and you'd wear it to court (I've seen sashes that are as beautiful as an obi), it could be garb accessory. Discuss it with the person running the quals when you enter your items. I usually have a sit down with my judges and explain that if they have questions about why something is in a category that they can talk to me about it, but their personal feelings about what category it should be in shouldn't affect the scoring of the item. The category it goes in is decided by the player and person running the A&S competition
Fru Squire Ka'a F Acklie

Ego Sum Finis
Ka'a Acklie

Return to General Discussion