Mistyvale petitions to join Westmarch

General information, announcements, and discussions about Westmarch, Amtgard, and the LARPing life

Re: Mistyvale petitions to join Westmarch

Postby Water Hammer » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:32 pm

Why such resistance? Someone may not be honest and open about some hidden feelings. I come from the side of more amtgard is good for amtgard. I played on both weekend days while on the east coast and loved it. One park that quested and fought every weekend. One park that sat and talked and ditched without seeming to ever quest or battlegame. Both served a loyal amtgard group. Both served several players who played both ways. Both parks sustained their own numbers and had their own officers and their own priorities.

There is nothing bad in having two parks on separate days within 7 miles of each other. There is something wrong with having a land within the boundaries of Westmarch that is not a welcome member of Westmarch. If you have an objection to the inclusion of Mistyvale as a separate and freestanding park on its own merits, state them clearly.

I vote and will encourage every dues paid member of Crimsonwood and Westmarch to support the invitation of Mistyvale to join the fabulous Kingdom of Westmarch. If someone wants to start another park within driving distance of Crimsonwood to play on Sundays I will support those efforts as well.

Viva more Amtgard!!!
Baronet Water Hammer, Stalwart of Crimsonwood
Crimsonwood Rocks!!! I am humbled by your friendships.
Amtgard is the greatest thing my kids ever dragged me into.
Water Hammer

Postby Porkins » Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:31 pm

Oh yeah, don't be confused by my questions. I still think adding MV to WM is the best solution possible as stated in my first post. I also like to put forth the best argument I can anyways which can come off as being critical,(I consider it more like a mental exercise, and often forget people can't see that unless they know me well). Anyways, go Amtgard!!!
In times like these, it's helpful to remember that there have always been times like these- Paul Harvey
Porkins

Postby Ubrik » Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:59 am

A devil's advocate good for the discussion of any important decision, especially one where the majority are all ready to support it. I say BRAVO.
Ubrik

Postby Etah » Wed Dec 24, 2014 1:58 pm

Porkins wrote:Points for the Monarchy bit, the best solution I can think of is the original solution offered before MV was formed. One Land, one Household. The land would have its officers and the household runs the second land day with its own revolving leadership. However since it is two parks on different days, the officers could very well attend both or one. Neither day is lesser just as neither park is lesser right now.

I would rather have a local, dedicated monarch and champion present at the park to deal with any emerging issues, rather than just rely on whatever officers happen to be present.
~Baronet Squire Etah Landshark
Corsair
Shire of Aegir's Hall

"Hate is a strong word, but I found out if you say it backwards what appears is a bald nerd." - MC Nameloc
Etah

Postby glyn aidan » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:04 pm

The park I came from in Goldenvale, Caradoc Hold, for many years actually has healthily supported a two-day field week. The primary field day is officially on Sunday, with what started as an alternate night for battlegaming on Thursdays that quickly turned into a full-scale regular field day.

It IS a feasible model, and it actually allowed for a lot of flexibility with attendance and work schedules with players and officers alike.

Things that can happen when you have two regular, full fields a week:
-Your officers can't always make it to every single field, both days, true. But that means that if there's a week that they can't attend your primary field, so Sunday for instance, if they can make the other field day, then they can still attend Amtgard that week and have a presence.
-Same thing goes for players- they have an extra option for a day to attend field. At my old park, a lot of us worked retail jobs and couldn't take Sundays off regularly- which meant that we COULD attend Thursday nights (our field started between 11pm-midnight. Yes, we were crazy. Yes, we were also mostly irresponsible college students.)
-Only a single set of officers prevents the problem of not having enough people WILLING to be in office. Two seperate parks means eight people in Sacramento need to be willing to commit to being an officer. Sharing those officers between the two days with a united park, means that there's more people in the officer pool and people don't get stuck doing term after term after term after term because no one else wants to.
-When it comes to tournaments and CQs, you can set a time that's NOT during one of the two field days if it's more convenient for people to attend. Sometimes, we hosted our CQs on either Saturday (since we fielded Thursday and Sunday) if it was better for people, or we hosted them Sunday evening if people had to work during normal field time. Same with our Althings; they were typically held AFTER field to make it easier for more people to attend. They were usually also at someone's house, since it gets cold in the northeast, so it meant we all hung out and sometimes made dinner for everyone and had some shared hang out/bonding time as a group.
-People are more encouraged to show up to both days. There's no 'our field vs their field' mentality; they're both your fields, your park; people get excited about larger attendance days and going out and having fun. Everyone is in on making the park great together.
-The official primary field day can be set between the two, but attendance can waffle back and forth. Sometimes, our Thursday night fields would regularly draw 40-50 people, but our Sundays would only have 10-15; at other times it was reversed, and Sundays would have the higher numbers with Thursday nights only being enough for a quick ditch among the three or four people who braved the cold.
-With the extra number of fields, most terms the officers got together and picked a day from each month to run as the Officer's Day. The four officers were in charge of battlegames and/or quests, etc for the day, and if anything extra needed to happen such as awards, they were all definitely in attendance that day so that could happen. People knew ahead of time what the scheduled days were and that they would be a special day, so they could plan in advance to be there.

A few years ago, Caradoc Hold had a group of people split off, with a second full park forming in a suburb of the city it plays in. This park is located 21 miles from Caraodoc's primary field location and 26 miles from its secondary field, with over a half an hour drive between either field. It allowed some players who were located even further out from the city and from Caradoc's fields to play, and fields on a THIRD day of the week, allowing more flexibility. It's far enough that besides feasts, events, and special days, people don't regularly hit up both parks, but it happens some. They're a shire; Caradoc is a duchy.

To help make this all feasible, tho, Goldenvale has no attendance cap on players. With a park about an hour and a half drive away that fielded on Wednesday nights with a battlegame heavy night (another college campus with a primarily student-based populace) we had a few people who would hit all four fields in a week. With V7 in full swing, if someone REALLY wanted to, they could level a class in a couple weeks by making the rounds multiple times (tho their wallet would be hurting from all the gas.)

If the people of TR and MV don't want to merge, that's completely fine; I don't really have an opinion on whether or not they should, but coming from an area with BOTH a park that has two field days, and has two parks that both function, I've seen how things can work out with either situation. Or, you know, sometimes both at once.
glyn aidan

Location: Wyvern's Spur PM; Amtwiki Admin. Yeah, I know those aren't locations. Too late.

Previous

Return to General Discussion