BBC filming request

General information, announcements, and discussions about Westmarch, Amtgard, and the LARPing life

BBC filming request

Postby Fiks » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:44 am

Anyone else gotten an email of a similar title? Best as I can tell they were gathering email addresses from the old ORK Atlas, where Misty and I are listed as contacts for Wavehaven.

Quick Googling of the name on the email gave someone who appears to be working for BBC Wordwide according to a LinkedIn profile, but nothing about what they're working on so I wasn't able to verify the future project.
"How harmful overspecialization is. It cuts knowledge at a million points and leaves it bleeding."—Hari Seldon
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people. Bonk!
Fiks

Re: BBC filming request

Postby Azus » Wed Dec 10, 2014 11:04 am

Dear Azus,

My name is Elizabeth Skadden and I am currently working on a BBC series following two members of English high society and the British aristocracy. The program will follow the pair as they embark on a trip across America to explore the difference in culture, tradition and to find out if it's somewhere they could make lives for themselves.

Currently, we are planning to come to California February/early March and I am looking for journeys and stories they may be able to engage with in the state. We would be interested in the siblings being able to learn a bit about the Amtgard society and LARPing. I wondered if you might have an event during our shooting dates in which you would be open to allowing us to participate. We will be in California for a technical scout in January and then would return in February to film.

Thank you so much for your time. I would love to learn more and answer any questions about the project, please let me know when is convenient for you.

If she's emailing a lot of people, then we should decide who sill take the lead in organizing it.
Azus

Postby Scorch Flamedancer » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:32 pm

The local Belegarth group in my parts got a similar email. I recommend staying on top of this, it's how our group locked in Storage Wars over other local LARPs.
My body is my sword, my mind is my blade. Without them, I would be nothing.
Scorch Flamedancer

Postby Faye » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:14 pm

I also received an e-mail, and have responded to it - I provided her with dates for various upcoming events in February, including midreign.
Faye

Postby Fiks » Wed Dec 10, 2014 8:52 pm

Since they're basically emailing all of the CA LARP groups, it sounds to me like something that the Kingdom should head up provided there's interest. Our best showing would be at a Kingdom sanctioned event, I'd think.
"How harmful overspecialization is. It cuts knowledge at a million points and leaves it bleeding."—Hari Seldon
Fiks

Postby Ka'a Acklie » Thu Dec 11, 2014 12:24 pm

We should also find out what area of Cali they will be in.
Fru Squire Ka'a F Acklie

Ego Sum Finis
Ka'a Acklie

Postby Faye » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:34 pm

Hey guys, since I e-mailed the sender back, they requested a phone call with me - I will be speaking with them tomorrow. Per Ka'a's suggestion, I will ask where they are planning to film - does anyone else have questions they would like addressed?

I am planning to give them dates and locations for major upcoming events, particularly midreign, since I believe that will fit into their time window, and it makes sense for them to see a kingdom event as opposed to a local park day. (As Fiks said.)

I also want to make it clear that I did not intend to go over anyone's head - I replied to the original e-mail before I realized that other groups had been contacted.
Faye

Postby Fiks » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

Ka'a Acklie wrote:We should also find out what area of Cali they will be in.

I think they're planning on going to where the fun is, based on the fact they emailed everyone. We'll hafta see what results Faye got from her telephone chat.
Fiks

Postby Faye » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:07 pm

Okay, having spoken with the producer, it sounds like they are going to be filming in a variety of areas in California, so no particular land is more convenient than any other. That being said, they would like to hit the biggest event possible, and Midreign will fit into their schedule. (I did also mention Flurbtastic, but it sounds like that will be outside of their window.)

While this is not a sure-thing by any means, it sounded like they are interested, and would like to send some scouts out to check out a regular park day - given that midreign will be in Wavehaven, I would like to pass along appropriate local contacts for them to work with.

I have private messaged Fox, who I believe is the current Duke of Wavehaven, but have not gotten a reply yet - if someone local (Hi Fiks) wants to give them a poke, that would be great. Having an appropriate e-mail and/or phone number to pass along would be excellent.
Faye

Postby Fiks » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:35 pm

Laoric is our PM and a lot more active both here and at the park (I have played exactly once since FoM :(). I'll give him the poke to pass on.
Fiks

Postby Faye » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:26 am

Okay - I also got in touch with Fox, and gave him the info, as well as passed along his contact information to the producer.
Faye

Postby Laoric » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:56 pm

I'd be more than happy to be the point of contact but I defer to Fox as our monarch. If he doesn't wanna do it I'm game.
“I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less.”
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Fox » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:13 pm

I have spoken with Elizabeth via phone shortly and once I get to talk to her more I'll post. As of right now she said she will contact me in some time next month.
Fox

Postby Laoric » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:01 pm

Her name is Elizabeth? I officially cannot talk to her. Sorry. It's for her own good.
“I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less.”
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Fiks » Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:58 pm

Ha.
Fiks

Next

Return to General Discussion