Corpora change proposal: Events

General information, announcements, and discussions about Westmarch, Amtgard, and the LARPing life

Corpora change proposal: Events

Postby deimos » Sat Feb 07, 2015 9:40 am

As Westmarch now has events of its own, it is important that we codify a process for handling those events. In this section we define what is a "Westmarch Event" and what is an "Event in Westmarch." This distinction allows autonomy for privately run events, and provides structure for Kingdom events. I have worked with a couple people and we have come up with the following proposal for discussion:

(Subsequent Corpora items will be re-numerated to allow insertion of this section)

Article VII: Events

Section 1. Definitions
1. Westmarch Event
a. An event that is wholly owned and operated by the Kingdom of Westmarch.
2. Event in Westmarch
a. An event that takes place within the boundaries of the Kingdom of Westmarch, but is owned and operated by an individual, group, land, or other entity.

Section 2. Westmarch Events
1. The Monarch and Regent will solicit, review, and approve bids for Kingdom Events.
a. The Monarch and Regent will set the due date for all bids and any special parameters or requirements.
2. The Westmarch Board of Directors is responsible for completing any paperwork, signing contracts, and anything in regards to contractual obligations.
3. The Westmarch Prime Minister will disburse funds upon receipt of invoices or receipts.
a.The Westmarch Court and Court Feast are at the discretion of the Westmarch Regent, who has first right of refusal.
4. The Westmarch Champion is responsible for daily weapon and equipment checks.
5. If the Event is to include normal Kingdom functions as per this corpora (coronation, midreign, etc.), then accommodations must be made to ensure that players may participate in those activities (and only those activities) without being charged fees.
a. Parking fees, if any, are exempt from the above rule.
b. The Autocrat may assess a separate fee for players only participating in Kingdom activities (e.g.,Warmaster/Weaponmaster tournaments, A&S Quals, Dragonmaster) for Feast, if any.
6. Bids
a. A bid must include, at a minimum, the following items:
i. List of Crats/staff and their qualifications/experience
ii. Proposed event dates and location
iii. Proposed site details
iv. Schedule of events
v. Proposed budget, to include:
-All expenses (site, meals, gate, games, etc.)
-Gate fee structure
-Minimum attendance (paid attendees required to "break even")
-Expected attendance
-Contingency plans (if any)
vi. Monarch and Regent may request additional information as necessary
b. If autocrat uses their own funds to place a deposit on the proposed site, they may be reimbursed by the Westmarch Prime Minister upon successful selection of the bid and with invoice from site proprietor.
c. If there are no acceptable bids, Monarch and Regent may assume the mantle of Autocrat, subject to Althing approval of Monarch and Regent submitted bid.
i. If there are no acceptable bids and Monarch and Regent decline to Autocrat the event, the event is considered cancelled.

Section 3. Events in Westmarch
1. Events in Westmarch are not subject to approval from the Monarch and Regent of Westmarch. As such, Events in Westmarch do not receive funds from Westmarch unless requested and approved via Althing.
a. When an event is requesting funds from Westmarch, the Althing must specify whether the funds are an investment (requiring repayment from the event) or a donation (not subject to repayment). Priority of repayment is at the discretion of the autocrat of the event, but must be declared at the Althing (e.g., 1st priority over all other costs, after site and feast but prior to other costs, last priority after all other costs). Autocrats must present a simplified bid for the use of Westmarch funds to be considered with the Althing ballot
2. Events in Westmarch should be scheduled as to not conflict with Westmarch Events.

Section 4. Event Funding
1. Event funds are to be held in an account maintained by Westmarch. Each Westmarch event should have its own account and not commingled with other Westmarch funds.
a. The event account can be a sub-account of the Westmarch general account so long as the funds are not commingled.
b. Event Funds that are in separate or sub-accounts do not count towards 10% expenditure funds for the Monarch and Prime Minister
2. Event autocrats are responsible for keeping within a reasonable budget so as not to lose money.
a. If planned expenditures exceed the previous year’s income for that event, an Althing vote must be held to obtain the funds from the Westmarch general account.
3. All funds withdrawn from the Event account must be replenished before other expenses are reimbursed.
4. At the discretion of the bid team, up to $200 of the net profits above the cost of the event may be retained in the event account to improve future events.
a. Larger profit retention must be approved by Althing.
5. Net profits (less any retention for future events) will be deposited into the Westmarch general account.

Section 5. Feast of Mars
1. Feast of Mars is to be held during the month of either September or October.
2. Announcement of Autocrat team must happen at least 6 months prior to the event.
3. A complete accounting of income and expenses (with all receipts) from the event must be provided to the Westmarch Prime Minister within 45 days of the end of the event.
4. Maintenance of Feast of Mars assets (weapons, shields, tabards, etc.) must be performed by the Autocrat prior to returning the equipment to Westmarch. Autocrat has 45 days from the end of the event to provide the repaired/maintained equipment.
a. The Autocrat must perform a safety inspection on all Feast of Mars assets no later than 1 week prior to the event.
5. A storage unit must be provided to store the Feast of Mars assets while they are not in use. The storage unit must be prepaid for one year in advance from event proceeds.
a. If there are insufficient proceeds, an Althing must be held to request funds from the Westmarch general account to cover the shortfall.
b. Space may be shared with other Westmarch assets as long as the Feast of Mars assets pay a proportional share of the rented space (e.g., if the Feast of Mars assets take up 60% of the unit, Feast of Mars pays 60% of the contracted price of the unit).
Deimos
GMR of SSD
deimos

Re: Corpora change proposal: Events

Postby Laoric » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:29 pm

Am I reading that correctly that the event account can be spent out of beyond 10% without Althing approval?
“I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less.”
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Fiks » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:34 pm

I think the intent was that the PM/Monarch could not dip into the event accounts via their 10%, nor would the 10% be affected by the amount in the event accounts. In other words, the event accounts are off limits save for the funding of their specific event. Think the wording needs to be clarified?
"How harmful overspecialization is. It cuts knowledge at a million points and leaves it bleeding."—Hari Seldon
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people. Bonk!
Fiks

Postby Laoric » Sat Feb 07, 2015 6:11 pm

Fiks wrote:I think the intent was that the PM/Monarch could not dip into the event accounts via their 10%, nor would the 10% be affected by the amount in the event accounts. In other words, the event accounts are off limits save for the funding of their specific event. Think the wording needs to be clarified?

Your explaining it makes sense to me. I suppose it could be clarified to avoid the mistake I made but I'm also dumb and shouldn't be considered the norm.
“I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less.”
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Lady Tamara » Sun Feb 08, 2015 11:36 pm

So if Mistyvale was to have an event, we would have to clear it through Westmarch? Send in contracts and have to wait for the next monarchy meeting for approval?
Wife to Collin the Red
http://www.meetup.com/amtgard-sacramento
Tamara on the AmtWiki
O.R.K.
Facebook
Woman at Arms to Sir Francis of Ravensholm
Lady Tamara

Postby Scorch Flamedancer » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:37 am

...Only if you plan to borrow money from the kingdom.
My body is my sword, my mind is my blade. Without them, I would be nothing.
Scorch Flamedancer

Postby Fiks » Mon Feb 09, 2015 11:31 am

Lady Tamara wrote:So if Mistyvale was to have an event, we would have to clear it through Westmarch? Send in contracts and have to wait for the next monarchy meeting for approval?
Scorch Flamedancer wrote:...Only if you plan to borrow money from the kingdom.

What Scorch said. Tamara, let me draw your attention to...
Proposal Section 3 wrote:1. Events in Westmarch are not subject to approval from the Monarch and Regent of Westmarch. As such, Events in Westmarch do not receive funds from Westmarch unless requested and approved via Althing.

So this amendment does nothing to prevent or influence any subland, Core or not, from running an event save that it doesn't run at the same time that a WM event does (which would be foolish anyways), as long as the individual/group/land/extra-dimensional-entity-that-smells-of-toast is providing the capital for it. Now if you want the kingdom to front the bill, then this provides a structure for the approval of said funds and even gives a loose outline of what would be best for the above-mentioned-entities to include with their petition to the Althing.
Proposal Section 3 wrote:a. When an event is requesting funds from Westmarch, the Althing must specify whether the funds are an investment (requiring repayment from the event) or a donation (not subject to repayment). Priority of repayment is at the discretion of the autocrat of the event, but must be declared at the Althing (e.g., 1st priority over all other costs, after site and feast but prior to other costs, last priority after all other costs). Autocrats must present a simplified bid for the use of Westmarch funds to be considered with the Althing ballot.

In the odd case the Avatar of Bread has no cash in this plane, It would have an idea of what information WM would require to see before voting on the matter. Pretty clean and tidy for his Butteryness.

...I think I need coffee and toast.
"How harmful overspecialization is. It cuts knowledge at a million points and leaves it bleeding."—Hari Seldon
Fiks

Postby Etah » Sat Feb 14, 2015 11:56 am

Does this mean that there will have to be an allthing each year for standing Westmarch events?
~Baronet Squire Etah Landshark
Corsair
Shire of Aegir's Hall

"Hate is a strong word, but I found out if you say it backwards what appears is a bald nerd." - MC Nameloc
Etah

Postby Fiks » Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:09 am

Well, would that be a problem? That aside: no, I don't think an Althing would be required every year based on this proposal.

Lemme count all the things that require an Althing:
  1. Kingdom Monarch and Regent having to submit their own bid due to no acceptable bids for a Westmarch-ran event
  2. Non-Westmarch-ran event asking for money from Westmarch
  3. A Westmarch-ran event that is expected to need a transfusion of money from the general Westmarch account
  4. If the event made more than $200 net and the 'crats want more than $200 going into the event account instead of the Westmarch general accounts
  5. Feast of Mars doesn't raise enough money to cover storage of the event materials and money needs to be pulled from the general Westmarch accounts
So even if all these things occurred, is it asking too much to ask the Althing to clear five items year-to-year? Especially since most of these deal with spending Westmarch money in large amounts which should need an Althing vote to begin with.
Fiks

Postby Water Hammer » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:44 pm

Might be reading this wrong, but I don't think Section 4 should apply to "events in Westmarch." It doesn't specify, so someone could interpret it to mean all Westmarch Events and Events in Westmarch. We don't utilize Westmarch accounts for Flurbtastic or for Dunesday and we don't want to.
Baronet Water Hammer, Stalwart of Crimsonwood
Crimsonwood Rocks!!! I am humbled by your friendships.
Amtgard is the greatest thing my kids ever dragged me into.
Water Hammer

Postby deimos » Sun Mar 01, 2015 8:14 pm

Laoric:
I can see where a misinterpretation may occur. I will change that portion to read
"b. Westmarch Event funds that are in separate or sub-accounts are not accessible as part of the 10% expenditure funds available to the Westmarch Monarch and Prime Minister."

Hopefully that should shore that up.

Waterhammer:
Section 4 would not apply, as an "event in Westmarch" clearly states "Events in Westmarch are not subject to approval from the Monarch and Regent of Westmarch. As such, Events in Westmarch do not receive funds from Westmarch unless requested and approved via Althing." However, I will clarify 4 by adding "Westmarch" in front of the word "events"

May not be a necessary change, but if it helps eliminate ambiguity I'm all for it.
Deimos
GMR of SSD
deimos

Postby Collin the Red » Fri Mar 06, 2015 1:34 pm

So Do we have language to vote on this weekend? or is this for the April Althing?
Baron Collin MacAbee current King of Westmarch
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Postby SirEuric » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:31 am

This was specifically listed as part of the April althing in important issues. Discussion just slipped over here.
Sir Euric Bloodstone
SirEuric

Postby Water Hammer » Thu Mar 26, 2015 8:47 am

I would appreciate the adding of the word Westmarch to Section 4 as stated by His Excellency Diemos. We now have four (count 'em, LumaCon, Flurbtastic, Dunesday, and ToyCon alternate park days) annual Events in Westmarch run within Crimsonwood and the feel here is to keep them independent to allow the greatest flexibility for the local monarchy (i.e., future prince and princess). Although Flurbtastic still runs on a gate method, we are looking to finding a way to make all of these free to play and self sustaining, and need flexibility to allow the autocrats room to maneuver and accomplish great things.
Baronet Water Hammer, Stalwart of Crimsonwood
Crimsonwood Rocks!!! I am humbled by your friendships.
Amtgard is the greatest thing my kids ever dragged me into.
Water Hammer

Return to General Discussion