A new chapter in Nor Cal, Require Assistance

General information, announcements, and discussions about Westmarch, Amtgard, and the LARPing life

A new chapter in Nor Cal, Require Assistance

Postby Okkin » Tue May 05, 2015 2:24 pm

Hello friends, a group of us up here in Shasta County had a LARP group going when we discovered Amtgard, we are interested in starting a new chapter here in Redding, as there is no "park" North of Sacramento. There are 6+ people involved already with many more learning of our group and expressing interest. All but one of us are first time Amtgard players. But the LARP we had going had very similar rules. So I come to this forum seeking advice, from you fellow Amtgardies.

I have read the rule book and the information available about starting a new chapter, a shire in this case.

My query is as such: Is this the proper forum to submit the documents and information necessary to start a chapter, or am I supposed to email a certain person or entity.

Also any advice for starting a new chapter other than what is already on the Amtgard page is much appreciated.
Okkin

Re: A new chapter in Nor Cal, Require Assistance

Postby Fiks » Tue May 05, 2015 3:43 pm

Hi Okkin,

I haven't personally had first hand experience starting a new group, but here's some of the things I know from observing over the years:

First, get together and play. That strikes me as the most important thing. Sounds like you guys are already on the road to that if not doing it. Regardless, just get everyone together with rulebooks to share, go over the rules and start playing. This builds the group. All the rest is just formalizing the group within the greater organization.

When you're ready to formalize the group (which you might already be since you were asking specifically about the contracts) you first submit a contract to the company that holds all the legal rights to Amtgard. That would be "Amtgard: Kingdom of the Burning Lands, Inc.." You can find the contract you will need on the "Starting a Chapter" page of the Amtgard.com website. The email address you will need (contracts@amtgardinc.com) to send a scanned copy of the contract with your information completed to is on that page as well.

Once you have sent in the contract and taken care of any follow-up from Burning Lands that they feel are necessary, you'll be given the official word. Congratulations, you're an Amtgard chapter!

After that you can worry about petitioning us, Kingdom of Westmarch, for sponsorship. It's not a necessary course of action, but it does help to increase your park's visibility in some regards and might lead to more cross-group traffic to and from your park. It also has the benefit of allowing your membership to gain higher level of awards for their various deeds and services within the game as your park grows and gains higher status and higher visibility for awards from the Kingdom herself. The contract for that is found at the end of the Kingdom Corpora, which you can find on the Important Documents page of this website. You can come back and ask for our President of the Board of Director's contact info when you're ready to submit the Westmarch contract. You can not submit to us before you get recognized as a legal group by the Burning Lands.

Speaking of cross-group traffic, you mentioned not seeing any groups north of Sacramento. I just so happen to know there's a group in the process of starting up in Yuba City, CA. You can find them on their Facebook group. That's what, a two hour drive in the best conditions? But when you're both up and running, try to visit and vice-versa. Bonds between groups tend to help both groups grow.

Hope this was the info you were looking for.
"How harmful overspecialization is. It cuts knowledge at a million points and leaves it bleeding."—Hari Seldon
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people. Bonk!
Fiks

Postby Okkin » Tue May 05, 2015 7:33 pm

Thank you Fiks, Yes we have been playing together for a few months now, we meet twice a week, for weapons practice and weapons/costume workshops.All of the information you provided is very helpful, thank you for your advice, it is much appreciated. I will take all the necessary steps, and contact Westmarch once more.
Okkin

Postby TB » Tue May 12, 2015 12:00 pm

Super cool. Nice to see new groups forming. Let us know what day and where you guys play and maybe we can get a group of us to come visit you.

Also please let us know if you need help with anything else like weapon making or rules questions.

Good to see the game growing here in CA.

TB
It's shameful.
Why can't people who dress in costumes and fight with toy weapons comport themselves with more maturity? - Asmund
TB
Terrible Bard

Postby Clenawe » Fri May 29, 2015 3:19 pm

Redding is a bit of a drive, but swing by Sacto, we'd be glad to show you guys some stuff and give you some pointers.

Something that will help you grow will be building loaner weapons. It helps a lot to have a handful of weapons for the newbs, and it ramps down the barrier to entry.
Clenawe

Postby SirEuric » Fri Jun 19, 2015 8:39 pm

Greetings, I am the current King of Westmarc h and am very happy to help in any way I can. My email is sireuric at g mail.com. I just took a van of 6 of us to the Thursday Colfax, Stella Mirabilis, fight practice. Possibly I can arrange something like that for you.
King Sir Euric Bloodstone
Sir Euric Bloodstone
SirEuric

Return to General Discussion