Kniggets

General information, announcements, and discussions about Westmarch, Amtgard, and the LARPing life

Kniggets

Postby Ubrik » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:32 pm

Because it came up as disappointing to someone on fb and in the interest of stirring interesting conversation on the forums,
Who are people seeing as the person made our first Knight and why?
Ubrik

Re: Kniggets

Postby Laoric » Thu Jul 16, 2015 8:16 pm

Are you asking who will be Westmarch's first knight?
“I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less.”
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Ubrik » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:05 am

After a fashion I suppose. My primary goal is start a conversation of substance on the forums.
Ubrik

Postby Laoric » Fri Jul 17, 2015 4:44 am

Right now, speaking only as an observer, Mikezilla is probably the most dedicated, hard working, and powerful of character of all the Westmarch squires. Wavehaven is full of squires (we're kinda lousy with them) but Mike is the best of us.
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Azus » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:55 am

Why limit to squires?
Azus

Postby Thalias » Fri Jul 17, 2015 1:08 pm

What Azus said. We should be looking at the people that have 8,9, or 10 orders. Do they have their box tops, do they have the knightly attributes, and then there is the discussion of the where the bar will be set.

Knighthood is obviously a moving target and Westmarch's first knight will set the standard for future knights in the kingdom. Is that bar so low that it simply becomes a collect your box tops and get a white belt, is it so high we never knight someone again, or do we does in fall somewhere in between creating the ideal to strive for and presenting a knight that inspires people and can provide leadership to the kingdom.
Thalias

Postby Scorch Flamedancer » Fri Jul 17, 2015 3:45 pm

I'm more concerned that the Circle will have standards so high no one can reasonably meet expectation unless they reinvent the wheel. While I believe the standard should be high, it should be the best in Westmarch, the best we have to offer. Not the best out of the whole game, simply because it's unrealistic and holding back worthy candidates.
My body is my sword, my mind is my blade. Without them, I would be nothing.
Scorch Flamedancer

Postby Laoric » Fri Jul 17, 2015 8:38 pm

Thalias wrote:What Azus said. We should be looking at the people that have 8,9, or 10 orders. Do they have their box tops, do they have the knightly attributes, and then there is the discussion of the where the bar will be set.

Knighthood is obviously a moving target and Westmarch's first knight will set the standard for future knights in the kingdom. Is that bar so low that it simply becomes a collect your box tops and get a white belt, is it so high we never knight someone again, or do we does in fall somewhere in between creating the ideal to strive for and presenting a knight that inspires people and can provide leadership to the kingdom.

For sure, I would hope the CoK is looking at everyone, regardless of where they are in their Amtgard career. Being a knight is about mentoring and growing people, at least in my opinion.

Squires are an easy target for discussion because at least one knight in the circle has already seen something in that person that would make a good knight. Certainly not always the best choice, but the easiest one.

Who do y'all see as deserving or soon-to-be-deserving that isn't a squire?
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Collin the Red » Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:48 pm

http://amtgard.com/ork/orkui/index.php?Route=Reports/player_awards&Ladder=8&KingdomId=21

I see Leah as not only a good choice because of 10th Rose (also making her the closest per the ORK) I see her as an example of to what a Flame knight should aspire. I also see her as someone who has a good nature and (despite her taste in men :wink: ) has brought both style and grace to Amtgard.

I just hope all lands are updating the ORK so those of us not in the loop know who are the up and comers.
Baron Collin MacAbee current King of Westmarch
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Postby Scorch Flamedancer » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:12 am

I wouldn't go purely by that list. There are more than a few names missing, including all those (near) qualified for Crown.
Scorch Flamedancer

Postby Collin the Red » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:12 am

I know it is not a complete list, But it is a place to start. Do we have a list of those that have all the box tops for Crown?
Baron Collin MacAbee current King of Westmarch
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Postby Scorch Flamedancer » Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:41 am

I would assume the knights circle would have the most complete list.
Scorch Flamedancer

Postby Ka'a Acklie » Sun Jul 19, 2015 10:27 pm

That list is rather short and very much not complete. The ORK is good for many things but not tracking awards like this
Fru Squire Ka'a F Acklie

Ego Sum Finis
Ka'a Acklie

Postby Laoric » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:36 am

Yeah, that list has none of my crap on there.

Leah is also an excellent choice. My location bias made Mike be my first choice but I'm positive if I were still playing in SSD she would be my first choice. Can't really go wrong with either.

These are all still squires, though. Who is not wearing a red belt that is deserving, in your mind?
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Postby Scorch Flamedancer » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:12 am

If we're all ok with park bias, Lady Sybilla from my neck of the woods is the most amazing artisan I have ever seen. She's hosted A&S nights at her home ever since she joined Amtgard, possesses multiple sewing machines, a garage full of fabric and materials, and every time new people come to her wanting garb or gear she walks them through making it step by step. I learned how to use a sewing machine because of her. In my opinion, she has the skill and all knightly qualities that would make any kingdom proud. Buuuuut the big problem is literally no one outside of the south knows her. lol She's in her late 60's and doesn't travel well, and I know a Knights Circle wouldn't vote on a person they didn't know.

But she's amazing, caring, giving, skilled, an excellent teacher, and I feel that if you all got to know her and her work would be honored to have her be the first knight of Westmarch.

...but that's just one player's opinion =b
Scorch Flamedancer

Next

Return to General Discussion