Completely new to all of this

General information, announcements, and discussions about Westmarch, Amtgard, and the LARPing life

Completely new to all of this

Postby MsVanwolf » Wed Mar 23, 2016 3:01 pm

Hello all,
My name is Cora Vanwolf and I am completely new to all of this. I have been looking in the carson city area for five years, anything remotely resembling some sort of medieval type get togethers, mostly for costuming for Renaissance faire and to make friends interested in the same area. I pretty much suck at any sort of acting and making friends ( I have four children under 7 and I never get out because I'm afraid to get out), and I really don't know anything about how to properly behave at these events ( talk, the dos and donts, etc.). Looking to learn more about LARP and perhaps help people with costuming because that's pretty much the only thing I can say I'm absolutely bomb at. I've made many costumes with many materials including fiberglassing, pepakura, welding, sewing, EVA foam, worbla, electronics. My current project is articulating angel wings based off of Bushitakas design and a dragon scalemail vest which I've found this week to be very unfriendly to my hands (sporting calluses the size of quarters). Ask me if I've worked with it, in my nearly two decades of costuming I've probably worked with it and can help. Also, I'm working on getting my doctorate in naturopathy, I can lend some knowledge on natural medicines ( but there's a line where I must stop as I'm not a licensed physician yet). :) that's my schpeel! Can't wait to learn some new and exciting things and meet some people if I can get over my fear of being put on the spot and the general public.
MsVanwolf

Re: Completely new to all of this

Postby MsVanwolf » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:42 pm

I figured I should post a few pics of my recent project and past projects
Scalemail
Wing progress
Some old foam work I did of halo character
Tali zorah helmet I made from Mass Effect ( completely EVA foam)
Corresponding mass effect gun completely from EVA foam
And YouTube of the helmet in action ( sound activated just like the real character)
http://youtu.be/bvfmYnzE1ZE
MsVanwolf

Postby Azus » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:03 pm

That's some pretty stuff, there!
Azus

Postby MsVanwolf » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:24 am

Thank you. :)
MsVanwolf

Postby Barthalamule » Thu Mar 24, 2016 7:05 pm

I saw you already found the Facebook page for the Carson City park. Just show up to the park and get introduced to everyone there. It might be a smaller crowd than normal because there is going to be an event in Napa this weekend. You'll go far in Amtgard with your work though. I'm not familiar with the Carson City park, but there are usually other crafters that show up and share ideas and techniques with each other.
Aegir's Hall
Barthalamule

Postby MsVanwolf » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:04 pm

Wonderful. A small crowd at first is great, no pressure. :)
MsVanwolf

Return to General Discussion