Flurbtastic 6 - Good, Bad, Ugly

General information, announcements, and discussions about Westmarch, Amtgard, and the LARPing life

Flurbtastic 6 - Good, Bad, Ugly

Postby Dagny » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:20 pm

Hi everyone! I hope y'all had a great time at Flurbtastic 6!

Here's my GBU for the event

Good: everyone who helped out with volunteer shifts and clean up! Wrapping up today was really easy and the camp staff were so pleased with our group! Janet wanted to pass along thanks to the folks who helped flip the boat up at the lakeside cabins. That's one of the things I love about the Westmarch community, we make things work and most everyone is willing to step up and help out.

Bad: I need to work out more between now and next year. The hills were rough, but we're plotting solutions if we can get this site again for next year.

Ugly: Dagny needs more sleep. Dagny is a zombie.

Thank you all so much for coming out and flurbing it up with us! :D

-Dagny, your Zombocrat. I mean Autocrat.
"Mongo only pawn in game of life." ~Mongo, Blazing Saddles
Dagny

Re: Flurbtastic 6 - Good, Bad, Ugly

Postby Barthalamule » Sun Mar 27, 2016 4:11 pm

Good: Food was good and plentiful, cabins were roomy, check in at the gate was easy, great location for Flurb, quests were fun. Everyone I met was awesome and I had a great time.

Bad: Lack of flood lights at the rec field for night ditching

Ugly: We almost ran out of beer Friday night
Aegir's Hall
Barthalamule

Postby Ka'a Acklie » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:37 pm

Good: Food was amazing, loved the cabin, loved the lodge at night, the goat was a nice touch, site amazing (would have been better without the chainmail I was wearing), that kitchen looks amazing, all the volunteers where great!

Bad: Lack of seating and tables at the water temple, people not flurbing and not being good sports about the role players.

Ugly: So afraid of the poison oak. Send the goat out to eat it all please!
Fru Squire Ka'a F Acklie

Ego Sum Finis
Ka'a Acklie

Postby Elysia_Tilde » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:43 pm

Gonna break this up into two since I have a new location to review.

The Location
The Good:
Awesome Cabins, both the upper cabins (with more amenities) and the lower cabins (with more beds).
The Dining Hall being inside and being an awesome hangout spot and always open.
The staff at the site were accommodating, friendly and helpful.
Beautiful location, pretty close (relatively) by, large enough to hold 100 of us.

The Bad:
The hill. Nothing more needs to be said because it is understood. (It got better day two when more people started driving down and back up)
The water. My understanding was the water pipes were being replaced, which explains why some of the faucets were off, but it seems like there wasn't enough places to refill water. Having a large, communal water station on the field would help.

The Ugly:
I know Gale and Dagny spent a good deal of time cleaning everything afterwards. I know it slipped my mind since it felt like we were staying in a hotel in the upper cabins, but it seems like there should have been a better effort from the players to clean the site before leaving Sunday. Maybe a reminder Saturday night might have helped to motivate people to pick up more before leaving.

The Event
The Good:
It was obvious that the event was well prepared for. (ie: look at the codex alone)
There was enough planned battle games to break up the constant things that were going on.
The temple allowed for non-combatants to have something to do for long periods of time.
After Saturday's change up, the hidden temple and the arena added some variety for people to do besides the puzzles and the gathering.
The game constantly allowed for people to be doing something.

The Bad:
Clay game objects. As we found out fast, they break.
Miscommunications on clarifications not shared between team captains soon enough.
Rule/Role packets not given to the NPCs before the event.

The Ugly:
I'm not sure what arrangements would or wouldn't have been allowed with the event site, so this might not have even been within our control, but I feel like the game would have greatly benefited by having people arrive thursday night, and have been giving the opportunity to meet and greet with their entire team before the game actually began. I feel like the intro to the game process was very rushed and it made it harder for people to get into character and focus on their role play. A thursday social event with all the teams that relied on roleplay and not amtgard game play might have helped with team work and social bonding between players.
Elysia_Tilde

Return to General Discussion