Buying a Generator...

General information, announcements, and discussions about Westmarch, Amtgard, and the LARPing life

Buying a Generator...

Postby Azus » Fri May 27, 2016 9:57 am

http://www.harborfreight.com/4000-peak3200-running-watts-65-hp-212cc-generator-epa-iii-69729.html
Something I've bounce off of our King's Head - he also likes the idea.

For our events, we're spending a few hundred dollars to rent a generator to run our ditch lights.

or... we can spend a few hundred dollars and just buy one!

Storage - well, long term Westmarch needs cash flow to rent a storage unit for its property, but for now it could be stored near Darkshore Castle (ie my house)

Cost wise - even the next size up from Harbor Freight will pay for itself within two events.

Discuss, I'm thinking of tossing onto July allthing.
Azus

Re: Buying a Generator...

Postby Collin the Red » Fri May 27, 2016 10:12 am

Could lands borrow it for their own events? Or is it solely for WM events?

Sent from my SM-G900T3 using Tapatalk
Baron Collin MacAbee current King of Westmarch
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Postby Ka'a Acklie » Sat Jun 04, 2016 7:33 pm

What size generator?

What size storage unit do you think we might need at this time? If we get a generator? If we get a generator and field lights?
Fru Squire Ka'a F Acklie

Ego Sum Finis
Ka'a Acklie

Postby Azus » Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:06 pm

sleepy musings...

My current thought is for WM events, I think long term use by lands with thought to tracking, liability for breakage, etc.

Currently required storage unit - my garage?

Long term storage needs: I would like to see Westmarch long term getting storage from a rent-a-center or somesuch for Darkshore Castle, FOM boxes, Regent boxes, generator, lights, etc. My 5 second google search shows space in Berkeley for about $200 a month that'd probably hold all that (is Berkeley even the right area??). However that's down the road, at present funding the various events could be a little better, I think the coffers should fill up more before we start long term payments.

Short term storage needs - I can store a small generator at my house - though if I keep this up my wife will start hitting me with real swords...

Long term, several folks have brought up Westmarch having it's own lights; sounds good. At present we're borrowing the ditch lights, so buying them represents pure outlay, not long term savings, the way a generator does. Probably still worth it, they
're not as much as storage!
Azus

Postby Ka'a Acklie » Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:36 am

So we're looking at a storage unit costing us $2400 a year for everything. What size is the unit you quoted? Is there a place where the populous can see the kingdom books/ledgers? How much has renting things cost us each time?

There are two ways to fund the storage as I see it.
Option 1: The people pay for it. Either raise dues in core lands, or raise dues all around and now sponsored lands have to pay tithe too.
Drawback of this is we already have a small voter/dues paid pool, and sponsored lands would be taxed without a vote on kingdom althings. It would nearly double the cost of dues.

Option 2: Have the large events and any lands that want to use the stuff pay for it. Darkshore, and FoM being the two big ones that use the castle, Westmarch Wars, and Flurbtastic also night ditch lights.
Drawback of events taking on the cost is raised event fees, and the cost of transporting the stuff from storage to the event site would also fall on the event.
Pros though are that smaller lands could potentially use the castle during invasion days, cheaper cost to lands that already rent the field lights, and the cost would be more spreadout among the general populous.

Having a general fund for not only the storage, but also the repair of the kingdom items is a good idea. Porkins mentioned to me that the castle is in need of repairs and that is not surprising considering the beating it takes at events.
Fru Squire Ka'a F Acklie

Ego Sum Finis
Ka'a Acklie

Postby Azus » Fri Jun 10, 2016 8:53 am

My view is that storage is an issue that can be pushed off a while (years?); I'd rather see moneys go to the event funds so that crats have an easier time getting moneys for events without waiting for allthings. At present per corpora the Westmarch Events put funds into fund accounts; if those get big enough to properly fund events can then perhaps funds be diverted toward storage needs. That would require a corpora change, and those accounts won't be that large for many years.

For now (and the forseable future) my garage works for a generator storage.

As for the castle, I used some spare lumber to brace up the most cracked piece, a tower section. Should be good for a while. Some of the other sections got a couple extra screws in them recently.
Azus

Postby Collin the Red » Fri Jun 17, 2016 1:42 pm

The Ogdens were looking to rid themselves of the Greystone Castle. Maybe WM can store both together in a location not the bay area (lower cost per month) And place both castles together. Then on a group build day, we use parts from both to make a sturdy single unit. $2400 a year is way over what we should be paying.
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Postby Ka'a Acklie » Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:01 pm

Before we even settle on pricing we need to know what size unit we need.
Fru Squire Ka'a F Acklie

Ego Sum Finis
Ka'a Acklie

Postby Azus » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:08 pm

small. Like, the style lamp for the ditch lights is 500watts, we currently have 4. So a smaller 2000watt generator will meet current use. 4000 as linked above will meet needs for current lights and then some. Or, fewer lights and some sound. I''m 99% sure that 4k is what we've been renting over the years.
Azus

Postby Fiks » Mon Jun 20, 2016 10:14 pm

If my recent memory serves me well, the four bulb setup we've been using for the ditch lights have been running on 2000w Honda Generators. These are the quiet ones and are typically around $1000 new. Last time I responsible for renting one, I believe we priced out a $150 weekend rental (since I think we couldn't get the daily rate for the weekend) from A-Tool-Shed. Though if memory serves again, we were offered one for free from a 'crat member's family and couldn't get the damn thing to work so we scrambled to find one last minute and might have paid extra. It was a while ago...

Back at the beginning of my term as Regent just last reign, I tried hunting around for storage in the Bay Area/Monterey Bay/Gilroy area, since Gilroy is determined by the Corpora to be our central point. It's also only a little over an hour from our most used event space... But yeah. I determined storage was cost prohibitive and we had such a lovely and gracious volunteer in Azus, so I stopped hunting after a week or so.
"How harmful overspecialization is. It cuts knowledge at a million points and leaves it bleeding."—Hari Seldon
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people. Bonk!
Fiks

Postby Collin the Red » Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:18 pm

Back to the generator...the one Azus posted in the original post (lot # 63090) is in the catalog I got today, with the coupon it is 278.89 plus tax in Sacramento county 8% so 22.31. 90 day full exchange at the store 2-year warranty for 79.98 witch might be a few day turn around. So total not including oil and fuel is 381.18, under the $400 asking in the July Althing. FYI coupon #38332532

So If this is the purchase, and they are getting the 2-year warranty, I will be voting FOR the purchase.

If looking for alternative this generator's noise level is 70dB while the little honda units are quieter at 64dB if my research is correct.
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Return to General Discussion