Amtgard Kingdoms Circle of Monarchs Agenda for Clan 2019

General information, announcements, and discussions about Westmarch, Amtgard, and the LARPing life

Amtgard Kingdoms Circle of Monarchs Agenda for Clan 2019

Postby ElSpeth Sharrisselva » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:02 pm

[attachment=0]Best Practices with Minors in Amtgard.pdf[/attachment]
[attachment=1]Awards Evaluation.pdf[/attachment]
[attachment=2]Amtgard International Subcommittee Report 2019.pdf[/attachment]

The official agenda for the Amtgard Kingdoms Circle of Monarchs for the Gathering of the Clans 2019 can be found here:
http://www.electricsamurai.com/forums/v ... -bQFj5PW3Q

I'm uploading the supporting documentation I have. Please IM or text me if you wish to express an opinion. Once I leave for Clan I will not have access to the forms or email.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ElSpeth Sharrisselva

Re: Amtgard Kingdoms Circle of Monarchs Agenda for Clan 2019

Postby ElSpeth Sharrisselva » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:04 pm

Additional resources:
[attachment=0]Current Kingdom-Personal Contributions - Contributions per Kingdom.pdf[/attachment]
[attachment=1]Credit-resolution.pdf[/attachment]
[attachment=2]CoM bylaws and direction.pdf[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ElSpeth Sharrisselva

Postby ElSpeth Sharrisselva » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:05 pm

Last one:
[attachment=0]FY2019 Budget Proposal - FY2020 Anticipated Expenses.pdf[/attachment]
ElSpeth Sharrisselva

Postby thistledown » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:41 am

I'm in favor of the Credit limits
thistledown

Postby ElSpeth Sharrisselva » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:30 pm

Comments are light on this as I've received three responses to the agenda items so far. After Tuesday evening, I cannot guarantee I'll see anything not sent directly to me through IM or text. The Clan site is notorious for bad cell/internet services.

Those who keep yelling they aren't heard...this is an excellent chance to be heard on these agenda topics. Now's the time. Do it! :)
ElSpeth Sharrisselva

Postby thistledown » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:47 am

AI subcommittee report:
I like the idea of the post of Marshall. In theory class Guildmasters sort-of do this, but I only know of one class guildmaster, and it's not really done by him. Instead it's typically been "whoever's free in Nirvana at the moment"

Branding - I like the Onboarding ORK idea. Also, find a way to get the rulebook back on AmtWiki. It's just dumb that it's not there.

Awards Evaluation
I never heard of this survey before - where was it posted? Why was it not on the Westmarch Boards?

Transition Order of the Lion - agree
Crown Points system - mixed. I am hesitant to dive in on Titles being part of the path to Crown knight. They probably should be, but I'm not sure what it would do to people already on the path.
Removal of Defender - agree
Definition of Smith - agree
Knighthood Masterhood split – kind of agree. I see knighthood as being about character and ambassadorship, with competence in a field giving authority that you know what you’re talking about. Masterhood is about being the best at a skill and being able to teach it to others. There is a lot of overlap yes, but I can see them being different pinnacles.
thistledown

Postby ElSpeth Sharrisselva » Wed Jul 17, 2019 10:03 am

Good morning all,
I'm heading out to Gathering of the Clans but, in the name of transparency, want to share with you the comments I've received regarding the Circle of Monarchs agenda items. I apologize if I missed any. I removed names for those who wanted their comments kept private. I also did not include comments from people who are not in Westmarch lands. Nor have I added my own personal opinions.

Commentary:
Hey, I'd like to express my desire that we should vote Yes on all but the knighthood and masterhood split. My reasoning is that I think knights should be really good at what they do in order to give advice on a subject, like, top of the line in order to prevent bad information from being spread and knighthood turning into a shadow of what it means now.

on forums:
I'm in favor of the Credit limits

AI subcommittee report:
I like the idea of the post of Marshall. In theory class Guildmasters sort-of do this, but I only know of one class guildmaster, and it's not really done by him. Instead it's typically been "whoever's free in Nirvana at the moment"

Branding - I like the Onboarding ORK idea. Also, find a way to get the rulebook back on AmtWiki. It's just dumb that it's not there.

Awards Evaluation
I never heard of this survey before - where was it posted? Why was it not on the Westmarch Boards?

Transition Order of the Lion - agree

Crown Points system - mixed. I am hesitant to dive in on Titles being part of the path to Crown knight. They probably should be, but I'm not sure what it would do to people already on the path.
Removal of Defender - agree
Definition of Smith - agree

Knighthood Masterhood split – kind of agree. I see knighthood as being about character and ambassadorship, with competence in a field giving authority that you know what you’re talking about. Masterhood is about being the best at a skill and being able to teach it to others. There is a lot of overlap yes, but I can see them being different pinnacles.

1) we have an order directly linked to leadership we should move to make it the default for the path to crown. we also need to find a path that fairly translate current crown points obtained to an equivalent order of the lion, what that is should be well discussed, as I dont believe reigns in a duchy are nearly as valuable as kingdom level reigns; they're all crucial to running our game but the sense of scale in any kingdom but burning lands is dramatic.

2) completely erase this system. it's utterly useless and derailing, much like the rose/Smith argument, when we already have an award DIRECTLY linked to leadership. we need to start conditioning people to give lions out as leadership awards, as their less nebulous and must still be earned on a quality scale, not just gained for running a term.

3) the +1 to sword path for holding the defender title is an antiquated boon held over from a time when you had to fight for champion. in the current rule set of the game this just seems like a hold over that got grandfathered in and never ratified out. its disingenuous to continue to grant a purely elected title, one that doesnt required proof of skill at arms a free effective kingdom level tourney win, the title in and of itself doesnt mean nearly the same as it did 20-30 years ago.

4) we need to accept the best as knights, masterhood needs to remain a prerequisite of knighthood or the ability of every knight without a masterhood would come into question, you would essentially have a lesser version of knights walking around, creating a rift between those with and without the title. that being said, masterhood should come with the obtaining of your tenth order. if you've hit the top of the ladder you shouldnt be forced to find an extra rung, the two should be granted together. if this means we need to be a little stricter with what qualifies you for the 10th order, so be it."

I also heard an idea being passed around. Not sure if it will be at clan, but I am against it as well and it is removing credits almost completely from the system and making level 6 in one class is 6 in all. That's not a good idea. Best practices with minors I 100% agree with. I think its within Amtgards best interest for all kingdoms to chip in to help pay the legal fees.

Oh. I am for the credit resolution idea
31 credits for an event is terrible
12 is permissible for a month max

My thoughts on the masterhood proposal: #1) I think Order of the Lion is a far better system than Crown Points. This brings Crown in line with other awards. #2) I'm not sure of the purpose of the Order of the Crown. I think Crown Points should just be deleted from our rule book. #3) I think Defender as a title to recognize great Champions would be awesome if it didn't have the fighting connotations. It should not stand in for a tourney win any longer. I would like to see the Order of the Smith given out with more regularity. I think talk of splitting Knighthood from Masterhood is premature. This needs to be discussed more before it's brought in front of the COM

Bonus credits issue: I'm in favor of closing any credit exploitation loophole. I like implementation of Order of the Crown I like the removal of the kingdom level tourney win from champion, especially since it's an elected position around here Not in favor of splitting knighthood and masterhood

Hey, comments from the folks of SSD for items on the Clan CoM agenda: Credits clarification - we agree that giving out such a large number of bonus credits is not reasonable, though we want events to have options to give bonus credits - proposal seems well balanced. Awards Evaluation Proposals : 1 and 2. Order of the Lion - There was definite feedback from members of the park that the current crown points system is not well understood, and that using the Order of the Lion to replace or supplement the current system would be good. There was a request to keep the name of the award as lion, instead of replacing with crown. If the crown points system is kept, we are fully in support of adding GMR to eligible positions. 3. We support changing the ability of the defender title to match the current expectations for gaining warlord. 4. Park was in favor of clarity of exact purpose of the Smith award; would also like to see clarity for which (if any) knighthood track this would fall under. Best Practices with Minors - HUGELY in favor of these guidelines; very important to have a guide in place, this one is well written and intelligently designed (I can speak from personal experience as a camp counselor that this is EXACTLY the sort of thing we used!) Would this (or a version of) be added to the rulebook? Otherwise, how are we distributing to all parks/players? Thank you for your time, have a safe trip!

My concerns were addressed by the only person who posted on the actual COM post. As long as the concerns that person brought up are addressed in discussion, which I find likely as another monarch brought them up, I trust your decision.

Those legal fees - hopefully AI can take a few years to pay those off.
ElSpeth Sharrisselva

Return to General Discussion