ARTICLE V - Government

Feedback and updates relating to the Westmarch kingdom corpora.

ARTICLE V - Government

Postby Keluric » Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:03 am

ARTICLE V: GOVERNMENT

Section 1. ELECTIONS
1. Elections shall be conducted by the Prime Minister, except
a. When the Prime Minister is involved as a candidate,
b. In the case of the Prime Minister elections, in which case elections shall be conducted by the Guildmaster of Reeves,
c. The Board of Directors shall conduct its own elections for the positions of Secretary, Treasurer, President, and Vice President.
2. The winner of any election requires a simple plurality vote. A plurality vote is one in which the winner is determined by receiving more votes than the next highest person/item on the ballot.
3. In cases where a candidate is running unopposed, the candidate must pass a vote of confidence in order to win the election.
a. If a candidate loses a vote of confidence, anyone who qualified during Crown Qualifications may declare their intent to run for that office. A second election shall be held in one (1) week by the Prime Minister.
b. If no one is qualified to run for office, an Althing shall be held to appoint pro-tem officers.
i. All pro-tem officers must have passed a reeves and open book corpora test.
ii. The order of precedence for pro-tem positions shall be as follows:
1. Those that entered Crown Qualifications and have passed a Reeve and open book Corpora test
2. Those that have passed a Reeve and open book Corpora test.
3. Anyone who wishes to run for the position.
4. Only voting members may vote in an election.
5. Proxy votes are allowed provided that:
a. The vote is in a sealed and signed envelope with the voter’s name on the outside,
b. The vote is submitted prior to the closing of the polls.
c. Proxy votes may be e-mailed to the Prime Minister no later than twenty-four hours before the closing of the polls, or a predefined time set at least one (1) week earlier by the person running the election.
d. If a person is present for an election, any and all proxy votes submitted from that person are considered null and void.
6. For Kingdom-wide votes, the person running the election of each sponsored chapter is responsible for collecting the votes of their group and reporting the results to the appropriate Kingdom official in charge of the election.
a. Each land will conduct the voting in the same week.
b. The Kingdom official in charge of the election will do the following:
i. Determine the week of the election in conjunction with the Kingdom Monarchy.
ii. Determine the appropriate deadline for votes submitted from each land.
iii. Contact all other chapter officers by e-mail or phone.
iv. Post the final results within three days of the deadline to submit votes.
7. Write-in candidates are not permitted.
8. All candidates for office may appoint a representative to witness the counting of votes.
9. The Monarch shall have the power to break ties as detailed under the powers of the Monarch.

Section 2. IMPEACHMENT
1. Officers of the Kingdom may be removed from office (“impeached”) for criminal actions or dereliction of duty.
2. An officer of the Kingdom may be impeached by presenting a petition signed by at least 20% of the voting members of the chapter to the Althing and a 3/4 vote of an Althing.

Section 3. THE ALTHING
1. The Althing is a public meeting open to all members of the Kingdom (or local land in the case of regular local Althings) in which issues are discussed and voted upon.
2. All votes of the Althing, require a quorum of at least 51% of all voting members.
3. Types of issues discussed and voted on by voting members include:
a. Revising and updating the Corpora with a 2/3 majority
b. Expenditures of the treasury, other than the 10% per month allowed to the Monarch and Prime Minister, with a simple majority.
c. Vote on approving the adoption and promotion of sponsored chapters with a simple majority
d. Vote to change the status of a sponsored land with a 2/3 majority
e. Vote on restoring the membership status of a terminated member with a 2/3 majority
3. Abstentions never count towards a vote outcome except to meet quorum.
4. An Althing shall be scheduled and held (“called”) at least once a month on the first weekend of the month, but may be canceled by the Monarch.
a. The Althing may not be canceled if a petition for impeachment is being presented.
b. The Althing can be rescheduled if it falls on a special event or holiday.
5. The Monarch shall preside over and call all Althings.
a. If the Monarch cannot attend, the Regent may preside over an Althing with the permission of the Monarch.
b. If a petition to impeach the Monarch is being presented, another member of the Monarchy shall preside over the Althing according to the Order of Precedence.
6. Anyone may attend and take part in discussions, but only voting members may vote.
7. Althing rules of order may be set down by the Monarch.
8. Althing votes shall be held as an election.
9. Althing items must be scheduled at least four (4) weeks in advance, including, but not limited to changes of the Corpora.
a. If the four (4) week minimum cannot be met, items may still be added to an Althing agenda, provided an option for moving that item to a later date is given along with a yes or no option.

Section 4. DUES AND POLICIES OF THE TREASURY
1. The Kingdom and each individual chapter shall maintain their own separate treasury.
2. Dues are paid to each chapter’s individual Prime Minister.
3. Dues are $10.00 every six (6) months for Core Chapters, and $6.00 every six (6) months for Non-core Chapters.
a. Receipts given for paying dues shall display the time period covered by the dues.
b. When a dues-paid member of a land sponsored by Westmarch transfers membership to another land sponsored by Westmarch, their voting status does not change, but no portion of the monies paid for dues transfer between lands.
4. Receipts shall be maintained for all income and expenditures.
5. The Monarch and the Prime Minister may each spend up to 10% of the treasury each month in order to run the Kingdom or local chapter. They still must provide receipts for all expenditures.
6. Larger expenditures require the approval of an Althing vote.
7. Core Chapters, are required to send $5.00 per dues-paid member (“tithe”) to the Prime Minister of the Kingdom.
a. This tithe shall be collected one (1) month after the Prime Minster election of the chapter.
b. A list of all dues-paid members shall accompany this tithe.
c. Chapters which have not tithed within three (3) months of a Kingdom Prime Minister election cannot submit a vote tally for Kingdom-wide elections or Althings until this has been resolved.
Baron Sir Keluric Tryst
Prince of Westmarch

Bellator Adamas
Rutgers Jugging Team
Grand Vizier of the Briny Deep
Keluric

Re: ARTICLE V - Government

Postby Scoot » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:58 am

Just a quick, late comment: This Corpora changes the current dues for non-core lands. Is that the proper intent?
"Any attack on this monarchy would be useless. The Corpora is the ultimate power in the universe.
"The Corpora is insignificant next to the power of the Althing."
Scoot

Postby Keluric » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:33 pm

True, technically this modifies all lands (which I think is the current Corpora's stance as well) to $10.00/6 months.

As one of our non-core lands, what is your take on this?

We can look at stating a $6.00 amount for non-core, since the raised funds were due to increased funds towards WM coffers, which according to Section 4.7 you would not need to do.
Baron Sir Keluric Tryst
Prince of Westmarch

Bellator Adamas
Rutgers Jugging Team
Keluric

Postby Fiks » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:10 pm

Current Corpora, Article V, Section 4 wrote:3. Dues are $10 every six (6) months for “core land” chapters and $6 every six (6) months
for “sponsored land” chapters

Did we discuss any dues change at our meeting?

The point of increasing the dues was for Core Lands to tithe more. If we still have Core and Sponsored, we should still differentiate the dues, in my opinion.
"How harmful overspecialization is. It cuts knowledge at a million points and leaves it bleeding."—Hari Seldon
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people. Bonk!
Fiks

Postby Randy » Mon Jun 04, 2012 8:36 pm

We talked about having the sponsored lands match the core lands, just not sending the money higher. Don't think anyone should really have a problem with that, were not talking alot of money in any regards
Randy

Postby Keluric » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:54 pm

Fiks wrote:The point of increasing the dues was for Core Lands to tithe more. If we still have Core and Sponsored, we should still differentiate the dues, in my opinion.

I agree, I think it should remain 10 for core and 6 for non. It was intended to be that way, I will simply add the language to represent the difference.
Baron Sir Keluric Tryst
Prince of Westmarch

Bellator Adamas
Rutgers Jugging Team
Keluric

Postby Guyvas » Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:12 pm

For proxy votes can we make it email or pm (in some way ie caamtgard, facebook, etc) instead of just email or a letter. More options equals better availability to vote.
Guyvas
Crimson Marauders
Bloodfog
Wu Tang Clan ain't nothin' to fuck with
Guyvas
Mr. Tittyface

Postby Grix » Wed Nov 21, 2012 2:38 pm

Just change "e-mailed" to "sent electronically"
\
\ji
/.(((
(,/"(((__,--.
\ ) _( /{
!|| " :||
!|| :||
''' '''
Grix
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅

Postby Mannanan » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:31 pm

1.5.d. "If a person is present for an election, any and all proxy votes submitted from that person are considered null and void."

What of an occasion when some one might not expect to be at their park for a vote, but is?
Joe Stickswinger is planning on being out of town for a weekend of a vote to see family and PMs his votes in early. Joe's family member gets sick and cancels. Joe goes to his park now that his weekend has opened up.

Is Joe required to vote at the park? His ballot would not be signed if he voted at the park, and the possibility of a double count might become an issue.

Additional wording could help clarify any possible, interpreted loopholes.
- Baronet Mannanan, MaA to Baronet Torbjorn Kegslayer Esq.
Mannanan

Postby Niveus » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:38 pm

Mannanan wrote:1.5.d. "If a person is present for an election, any and all proxy votes submitted from that person are considered null and void."

What of an occasion when some one might not expect to be at their park for a vote, but is?
Joe Stickswinger is planning on being out of town for a weekend of a vote to see family and PMs his votes in early. Joe's family member gets sick and cancels. Joe goes to his park now that his weekend has opened up.

Is Joe required to vote at the park? His ballot would not be signed if he voted at the park, and the possibility of a double count might become an issue.

Additional wording could help clarify any possible, interpreted loopholes.

The point of this is that if Joe voted by proxy, and then showed up at the park his proxy vote would be null and void. He then would vote like everyone else at the park.
Baronet Niveus Esq.
Squired to Sir Nakita
Niveus

Postby Mannanan » Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:33 am

Getting to my point first: I had heard in the past that this is supposed to be a legal document (or just modeled after one?). If this is the case then we should make sure that there is as little room for interpretation or confusion by the reader as we can make.
Niveus wrote:The point of this is that if Joe voted by proxy, and then showed up at the park his proxy vote would be null and void. He then would vote like everyone else at the park.

I get that part. Any PM worth their position should be able to figure it out too. I was raising the issue not because I was confused by it but more that the wording seemed some how incomplete. Maybe another subsection added to clarify or just rewording.

I haven't called out all of the muddy worddings I have found, I didn't want to rustle anybody's jimmies, I thought I should save the nit picking for important cases like voting. I know there are allot of cases where tradition, rational thought and comparison to other corpora can answer or clarify most questions being raised in any of our discussions.

Thank you to every one involved. Lets see this thing finish the fine tooth comb phase and get it to voting!
- Baronet Mannanan, MaA to Baronet Torbjorn Kegslayer Esq.
Mannanan

Postby Azus » Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:44 am

Call out muddy wording.

Muddy wording resulted in our being unable to pass any amendments to the corpora for a while, including the amendment to restore the corpora to the original intent (what was it, 75% of votes cast, edited to 75% of voting members?)
Azus

Return to Westmarch Kingdom Corpora