Couch stuff.

Discussion/Information about the Duchy of Siar Geata

Moderators: LucasTheLost, Scoot, Scorch Flamedancer

Couch stuff.

Postby Woodstock » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:00 am

This has been brought up several times before, but I feel that now is the time to bring it up again.

Those of you who were present at the time we had Milan as monarch may recall that he and Tweak often contributed couch leather to the masses, in addition to churning out fully-made garb of the same, which also merited one (at times, two) points of armor.

A few of us have kicked around the idea of scavenging couches once again, but the issues of time and cost of CCD (couch-carcass disposal) have forestalled any attempts indefinitely. Even free couches require a team of two, and are not always leather, but convincing vinyl, which is completely useless for our purposes. Veteran Siar Geatans, such as Scoot, Dieter, and myself, can spot the difference almost immediately. A dump-run costs $20, and the vehicles we have now aren't suitable to carry even one such couch without dismantling.

In the span of a month, I will have my driver's license and access to a mid-size pickup, which can hold two carcasses -perhaps four if we get creative,- and be back at work. What has a part-time, 18 year old burger-hole employee got in abundance, if not time? I would like to propose two related courses of action, in light of our lack of garb and our even greater lack of armored participants:

First, I would like to propose an investment opportunity. If we find four couches for free, they will cost us perhaps $30 to pick up, skin, and dump. That racks up $7.50 per couch. One couch may provide as much as 4 Woodstock-size jerkins, which is just over a buck-fifty each. I would like to organize a bimonthly 'donations' barbecue or potluck, which I may finance myself, to raise a few nickels for this venture.

Secondly, I would ask somebody with knowledge of Tweak's ingenious vest-making technique to teach us, as a group, to do the same at an A&S gathering. Leather-based garb not only functions as an inexpensive way to teach newcomers about how armor works, but also serves to distinguish veterans from newbies when questions arise -more time spent, more intricate and well made the armor- and makes us 'look better' both on the field and at Faire.

While I am no longer in a position of power, I believe this will be especially beneficial in the coming months, as we generally don't have any events to attend between the Fall and Spring Renaissance Faires. I want to help raise our group's attendance to once-again great numbers. This is would merely be my small way of helping.
Judge Woodstock PiPants
Village Idiot of Siar Geata.
Woodstock

Re: Couch stuff.

Postby Scoot » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:22 am

I'm not sure where you get your numbers. A free couch is free. The gas to go get it is variable. And, at least in Oceanside, Waste Management will do a limited number of large item pickups for free.

Figuring for a trip to Escondido (40 miles round trip), a mid-size pickup truck, with a fuel burn of approx. 15 miles per gallon, at the current horrendous price of 3.999 dollars per gallon, would only be $10.66 for a trip. Obviously, closer locales would have lower prices. If there were 2, or even 4 (I somewhat doubt this would fit), it would take the cost-per-couch down to $5.33, or $2.67, respectively to each option.
"Any attack on this monarchy would be useless. The Corpora is the ultimate power in the universe.
"The Corpora is insignificant next to the power of the Althing."
Scoot

Postby Lady Tamara » Thu Nov 01, 2012 9:47 am

Look for recycling centers that will take couches, it could be free disposal for you.
Wife to Collin the Red
http://www.meetup.com/amtgard-sacramento
Tamara on the AmtWiki
O.R.K.
Facebook
Woman at Arms to Sir Francis of Ravensholm
Lady Tamara

Postby Woodstock » Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:55 pm

Scoot wrote:I'm not sure where you get your numbers. A free couch is free. The gas to go get it is variable. And, at least in Oceanside, Waste Management will do a limited number of large item pickups for free.
Figuring for a trip to Escondido (40 miles round trip), a mid-size pickup truck, with a fuel burn of approx. 15 miles per gallon, at the current horrendous price of 3.999 dollars per gallon, would only be $10.66 for a trip. Obviously, closer locales would have lower prices. If there were 2, or even 4 (I somewhat doubt this would fit), it would take the cost-per-couch down to $5.33, or $2.67, respectively to each option.

Dump-runs with my father always cost $20 per truckload, though that was in San Diego. Assuming we spent ten dollars in gas to get 4 local couches, plus the seemingly-nonexistent-but-we'll-figure-it-out-later $20 dump-fee, it appeared to round out to $30, though my math may have been totally wrong. :lukor:
Judge Woodstock PiPants
Village Idiot of Siar Geata.
Woodstock

Postby dieterbron » Wed Nov 07, 2012 1:12 pm

If people can find the couches, it is not a stretch to make the armor, I can help with all of that. My Brig that Guillame has been wearing is made of two layers of couch leather with steel plates in between. If you bring it, i can help anyone build it.
Ich gebe nicht einen Fluch!
Herr Dieter Bron Von Boneschvinger
dieterbron

Return to Duchy of Siar Geata - Oceanside, CA