explain it again?

Discussion/Information about the Duchy of Siar Geata

Moderators: LucasTheLost, Scoot, Scorch Flamedancer

explain it again?

Postby Wraith » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:30 pm

Does anyone want to get together and discuss the ins-and-outs of getting started, such as creating a persona, rules, weapons construction, costuming and armor, fighting exercise tutorials, skills etc... I just turned 41 and I want to have a little fun, too! I hope I am not too old and out of shape to try. Being a stay-at-home grandma, I can meet anytime during the day.
Beware of Dragons for you are crunchy and good with ketchup!
Wraith

Re: explain it again?

Postby Wraith » Tue Jan 15, 2013 8:51 pm

Wraith

Postby Fiks » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:49 pm

The Newbie Guide is... well, old. '97 by the looks of it. The information on sword making is a little out dated and the tactics might not apply 100% due to different game mechanics being used nowadays, but the information on creating a character to portray if you so choose and the garbing techniques are likely still good today. And yes, that is the most recent rulebook released, and the one you'll be expected to know if you step out to fight.

The best way I think to learn about Amtgard is repetition, ie: keep showing up. Learn at the park as you go. Good luck!
"How harmful overspecialization is. It cuts knowledge at a million points and leaves it bleeding."—Hari Seldon
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people. Bonk!
Fiks

Postby Collin the Red » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:47 am

My wife and I were around your age when we started. So no, 41 and a grandparent is not going to ruin it for you. We have found success and enjoyment in the game both on and off the field. When entering the battle field remember to STRECH and don't over do it. While Lady Tamara no longer fights, she still finds enjoyment helping grow the land, writing the newsletters for both the local land and the Principality, as well as taking pictures. I still fight, but I limit the ammount so I don't sideline myself permanently. Go to your park and A&S and meet the people. Develope your personna. Train. Fight. Kill, die, get-up and keep fighting. But most of all, enjoy.
Baron Collin MacAbee current King of Westmarch
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Postby Scoot » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:36 am

To reinforce Collin's comment, My parents are in their 60s and my mom even fights occasionally (when we make her qualify for Regent :p)

It looks like it's been a long time since you've come out. We now meet in Carlsbad every Saturday, starting at 1 and going until about dark, at:

6600 Hidden Valley Rd.
Carlsbad, CA 92008

We also have Arts and Sciences night every Friday, where we do various things from sewing garb to knitting to forging metal items... Really just about anything you can think of would be supported and encouraged. A&S happens on Fridays at about 6 til 8 or 9 at:

1434 Temple Heights Dr
Oceanside, CA 92056.

Coming out to either of these locations will find you welcomed, and any questions can be answered. The previous Regent even makes brownies for A&S night.
"Any attack on this monarchy would be useless. The Corpora is the ultimate power in the universe.
"The Corpora is insignificant next to the power of the Althing."
Scoot

Postby Wraith » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:09 pm

60, huh? Thanks for telling me, that is oddly reassuring. Yup, it has been a while. My son Jacob- you knew him as PennyBrig- is off at school now but I remember the camaraderie and would like to be a part of it again. This time to take part in the fighting fun. Are you having an A&S tomorrow night? I would like some guidance whilst making a weapon or two. I am going up to the Battle for the Ring in Chino this Saturday so I won't be at practice but next week for sure!
Wraith

Postby Scoot » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:20 pm

Yep, we'll be there. If you get lost or need directions, call 7 six 0-5 eight 6-7 eight nine 0, and ask for Scoot.
"Any attack on this monarchy would be useless. The Corpora is the ultimate power in the universe.
Scoot

Postby Wraith » Thu Jan 17, 2013 1:32 pm

okay! What materials should I bring to make a couple of swords? It used to be pool noodles and golf club handles....
Wraith

Postby Stereotype » Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:28 pm

i will be at battle for the ring so if you have any question i can answer them there
Stereotype

Postby Scoot » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:59 pm

Some decent pool noodles and some golf club shafts will be fine. If you've got a specific cloth you want to cover it with, that would be good too.
Scoot

Postby tyrsredritehand » Mon Jan 21, 2013 10:13 pm

For sword making you will need:
Pool Noodle; I have found the best foam for regular swords can be found at http://www.lesliespool.com/Shop?
Packing Tape
Golf Club Shafts; You can get old clubs from driving ranges or golf clubs.
Cloth Covers; You can use long socks or hosiery for easy covers. Sewn covers are always best.
Camp Pad/Yoga Mat; This is used to cap the tip and pommel to ensure safety.
Box Cutter/Craft Saw

Optional extras; silicone caulk, straping tape, fabric grip tape, weather striping, pennies, bamboo, paracord

I will be at the park 1/26/13 to help people make weapons if people want to bring supplies.

Levi
aka Holrothi
tyrsredritehand

Postby dieterbron » Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:21 am

I went to Warlord sports and bought a .524 core 64", 1 Dura tube, and 1 Aether tube, for about 60 bucks. Hoping they last longer than my normal weapons. I tend to wear them out pretty quick. You can find their site at http://www.warlordsports.com/Gear.aspx
Ich gebe nicht einen Fluch!
Herr Dieter Bron Von Boneschvinger
dieterbron

Postby Azus » Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:20 am

A couple layers pipe insulation work well, though I suspect Warlord Sports foam will last longer.
Azus

Return to Duchy of Siar Geata - Oceanside, CA