Cooking for Credit Challenge (Summer 2021)

Information about upcoming local and nation Amtgard events

Cooking for Credit Challenge (Summer 2021)

Postby ElSpeth Sharrisselva » Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:47 pm

I realized I missed posting this here. The challenge is to make the recipe within 7 days of my posting of the recipe. The recipes come from one of 4 recipe books related to gaming. To get a color credit, post a photo of what you made. Substitutions are allowed. So, on to this next challenge:

Summer Greens Salad
From Game of Thrones A feast of Ice & Fire

We’re visiting King’s Landing with this recipe which is perfect for hot summer nights. It’s sweet and tangy with pops of flavor from the grapes and fennel. Which reminds me…the cashier at Safeway had no idea what fennel is. It turns out they have it listed in their computer system as Sweet Anise.

1 fennel bulb
4 tsp. apricot jam
3 TBSP white wine vinegar
olive oil
1 shallot, minced
Salt and pepper
5 oz. Arugula (substitution can be spinach or spring salad mix if you don’t like arugula)
1 cup seedless grapes cut in half.
¾ cup of crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
½ cup Candied pecans.

Cut the fennel in half lengthwise and reserve one half for some other recipe. Trim the stalks and core it. Slice it thin and set aside. Trim the fennel fronds from the stalks and discard the stalks.
Whisk the jam (if you use preserves, you’ll need to whisk it longer), vinegar, oil, salt, and pepper. Toss in the fennel slices. Dice the shallot and add it to this fennel vinaigrette mixture. Let it sit 15 minutes.
Add the arugula or other greens, fennel fronds, and grapes. Toss this with the vinaigrette. Fill a bowl or small plate with this mixture; top with gorgonzola and pecans; then serve.

Next week ingredients:
2 lbs (about 32) medium asparagus spears
Olive oil
Salt and Pepper
8 slices bacon
chives
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ElSpeth Sharrisselva

Return to Upcoming Events