Proper and safe crossbow construction

Discussion/Information about the Duchy of Thor's Refuge

Moderators: Collin the Red, ravenb

Proper and safe crossbow construction

Postby wolfclaw » Thu May 16, 2013 10:09 pm

I wana make a crossbow
Anybody have any thoughts to the manner?
Im pretty much thinking of taking my old bow arms, and cutting and sanding pieces of wood
And making the mechanisms.
I know they have to be lower that 35 pounds but Ik no sure how to either lower or increase the power
Other than just adjusting the draw
I have no F##*k's to give
wolfclaw

Re: Proper and safe crossbow construction

Postby Collin the Red » Fri May 17, 2013 6:42 am

Pull length in inches x lbs at full draw = footINCH pounds max 450

Test your parts and set draw distance according.

That's all I got.

(oops) :mrgreen:
Last edited by Collin the Red on Fri May 17, 2013 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Baron Collin MacAbee current King of Westmarch
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Postby Clenawe » Fri May 17, 2013 10:10 am

450 INCH pounds. 450 foot-pounds is in the mid-range for .45ACP, which would do very bad things.

Draw length in inches (string at rest to string at full extention) x Weight of Draw in pounds (at peak.)
Clenawe

Postby thistledown » Sat May 18, 2013 10:38 am

Using the arms from a bow to make the prod is in theory workable, but you would need to keep them the same width. Your crossbow would end up being huge.

Custom making the prod (the bow part) is hard though. Material selection is important, and having the proper tools.

The stock itself is pretty simple.

The trigger mechanism. There's a few designs you could use. Generally, they trade complexity for damage to the string. The best mechanism is a knuckle wheel, and is pretty safe for the string. Other types are easier, but will tear the string up pretty quickly, and carry some risk of misfire.

Lastly, the spoon. This holds the bolt to the stock while you're preparing to fire. Technically, you could go without it, but I wouldn't recomend it. The spoon needs to be springy - tight enough to press the bolt to the stock, but loose enough that the bolt can slide in and out. It typically mounts behind the trigger mechanism and extends up and over it.
thistledown

Postby wolfclaw » Sat May 18, 2013 1:27 pm

Could you explain the draw of the bow. Cause i dont understand the pound inch.
wolfclaw

Postby Collin the Red » Sat May 18, 2013 3:17 pm

Distance from string at rest to full draw.
Baron Collin MacAbee current King of Westmarch
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Postby Fiks » Sat May 18, 2013 8:59 pm

thistledown wrote:Lastly, the spoon. This holds the bolt to the stock while you're preparing to fire. Technically, you could go without it, but I wouldn't recomend it. The spoon needs to be springy - tight enough to press the bolt to the stock, but loose enough that the bolt can slide in and out. It typically mounts behind the trigger mechanism and extends up and over it.

Dunno you saw Gorin's x-bow, Wolf, but his spoon was literally a spoon. Steel (I presume) soup spoon. I've seen many a toothbrush used a spoon as well on the YouTubes, but less "authentic" unless you find and use a wooden one.
"How harmful overspecialization is. It cuts knowledge at a million points and leaves it bleeding."—Hari Seldon
Grass grows, birds fly, sun shines, and brotha', I hurt people. Bonk!
Fiks

Postby wolfclaw » Sat May 18, 2013 9:08 pm

Ya i did see that bow and it was really impressive.
Alot of the major components i under stand on functionality but its the things like creating the locking mech and
Do the proper measurements for safety. I saw the mech was inside the wood and is really cool but for a first bow and with not a lot of tools or exp i don't thing that will be a option just yet. But i thought the spoon was awsome cause not only was it a spoon it was a classy spoon.
wolfclaw

Postby wolfclaw » Sat May 18, 2013 9:10 pm

Their is also with the design I have a minor component that if I can do will be really cool but is a
Gutsy first try for my exp
wolfclaw

Postby Clenawe » Wed May 22, 2013 9:42 pm

I had a knuckle-wheel crossbow that got lost in one of my moves. It's not terribly complicated, I can draw you a plan for it when we're at the park.
Clenawe

Return to Duchy of Thor's Refuge - Sacramento, CA