Glove Question

General information, announcements, and discussions about Westmarch, Amtgard, and the LARPing life

Glove Question

Postby Drenth » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:54 pm

So after my last two bashed knuckles and hyper extended finger, I think it is time for a new pair of gloves. My old pair of ufc training glove gave great hand protection but my fingers have suffered. I have heard lacrosse gloves are a good choice. I am wondering if others have had luck with these kind of gloves?
Odinmadr
Drenth

Re: Glove Question

Postby Thedro » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:46 pm

I prefer dirt bike gloves. Go to a Motorsports shop (like Honda) and try on a few pairs. Look for a pair that doesn't constrict your hand movement too much and that offers knuckle and finger protection.

Here's a good example: [url]http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/6/2/1023/ITEM/Fox-Racing-Bomber-Gloves.aspx?SiteID=Google_PLA2&WT.mc_ID=10012&esvt=0-GOUSC&esvadt=9-0-3886819-1&esvaid=30548&kw={keyword}&gclid=CMnRqMTosrkCFVFp7AoduRgAiQ[/url]

MMA gloves don't protect fingers or nails.

Lacrosse are too bulky.
Thedro

Postby Scorch Flamedancer » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:03 pm

My body is my sword, my mind is my blade. Without them, I would be nothing.
Scorch Flamedancer

Postby Rafael » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:23 pm

I'm enjoying my new lacrosse gloves. I cut the wrists off so they don't interfere with movement.
~Rafael the Ninja Goblin~
No, not the Boy King. He spells it funny.
Rafael

Postby Water Hammer » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:51 pm

I find fighting bare handed motivates you to block with the lower part of your sword and not your imaginary cage over your grip. Join the 'Bare' revolution and learn to block with a weapon like a man. :D
Baronet Water Hammer, Stalwart of Crimsonwood
Crimsonwood Rocks!!! I am humbled by your friendships.
Amtgard is the greatest thing my kids ever dragged me into.
Water Hammer

Postby Collin the Red » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:04 am

Where is the like button?
Baron Collin MacAbee current King of Westmarch
Squire to Sir Smiley
Collin the Red

Postby Etah » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:41 pm

I prefer not to have my fingers broken Waterhammer. lol
~Baronet Squire Etah Landshark
Corsair
Shire of Aegir's Hall

"Hate is a strong word, but I found out if you say it backwards what appears is a bald nerd." - MC Nameloc
Etah

Postby Drenth » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:54 pm

Etah wrote:I prefer not to have my fingers broken Waterhammer. lol

Yup
Odinmadr
Drenth

Postby Orko » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:33 pm

Etah wrote:I prefer not to have my fingers broken Waterhammer. lol

+1
Orko
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅

Postby Drenth » Mon Oct 14, 2013 2:26 pm

Thedro, those gloves you showed me work amazing, thanks.
Odinmadr
Drenth

Postby Grimbold » Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:08 pm

Just to back up Waterhammer. I stopped wearing gloves a year or so ago after the discussion a discussion on Esam motivated me to. I have gotten a few banged fingers since, but not many, i feel like smashed fingers might have been part of the growing process as a fighter, and i have learned to avoid them. Now if i could only learn to avoid smashed face.
vincit qui se vincit
vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
Grimbold

Postby Orko » Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:57 am

Grimbold wrote:Just to back up Waterhammer. I stopped wearing gloves a year or so ago after the discussion a discussion on Esam motivated me to. I have gotten a few banged fingers since, but not many, i feel like smashed fingers might have been part of the growing process as a fighter, and i have learned to avoid them. Now if i could only learn to avoid smashed face.

If you remember correctly, I use to fight without gloves. It was fine until I bruised my knuckle. Now I seriously can't fight without them.

Asking this as non-hostile as I can over the internet, what advantages do no gloves bring?
Orko
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅

Postby Grimbold » Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:35 pm

The reason i stopped, is because of a discussion with Chango on Esam. He is a sports rehab and therapy guy for a living, and he suggested that gloves with straps on the wrists were bad for your wrists because they allow movements to happen, because of support, that are bad for your joints. I probably didn't explain it very well, but i stopped using mma gloves to see if i would notice a difference. I was looking for good body mechanics, the not getting bashed in the knuckles was just a coincedence or side effect.
vincit qui se vincit
vir prudens non contra ventum mingit
Grimbold

Postby Orko » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:57 pm

Grimbold wrote:The reason i stopped, is because of a discussion with Chango on Esam. He is a sports rehab and therapy guy for a living, and he suggested that gloves with straps on the wrists were bad for your wrists because they allow movements to happen, because of support, that are bad for your joints. I probably didn't explain it very well, but i stopped using mma gloves to see if i would notice a difference. I was looking for good body mechanics, the not getting bashed in the knuckles was just a coincedence or side effect.

Thanks for the explanation.
Orko
▇ ▅ █ ▅ ▇ ▂ ▃ ▁ ▁ ▅ ▃ ▅

Postby Hannoske » Thu Oct 17, 2013 1:13 pm

Sounds like why I don't wear cleats. They teach bad footwork. The wrist wrap concept is interesting.

As for wearing/not wearing gloves, I didn't wear gloves for the first 5ish years I played. My hands have gotten so beat up, scarred and broken from it, that I wont risk it any more. Not too mention a few times where other people wearing gloves has saved my face. You step wrong when throwing a shot when grinding and all of a sudden you have someones fist between your eyes. Or in Dustin's case, three times...

I agree somewhat that pain teaches, but breaking prevents growth, and sets you back. I would rather, in the case of my hands, learn some slightly bad habbits, and still use my hands, than go back to breaking fingers regularly. I should figure that out with my knees, and remember to wear my braces... On that note though, I will see about the wrist strap thing.
Hannoske

Next

Return to General Discussion