WMW 2015: An explanation and breakdown.

General information, announcements, and discussions about Westmarch, Amtgard, and the LARPing life

WMW 2015: An explanation and breakdown.

Postby KalevraFallstar » Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:40 pm

Hello Westmarch,

It has been brought to my attention that their is a lot of confusion and trouble over the Westmarch Wars bid and situation. I Would like to explain what I know of the situation, and do anything I can to be as transparent about the situation as possible. I am available for further questions, comments, and critiques after this of course, but hopefully this will at least mend some of the issues.

Etah came to me a little over a month and a half ago and expressed concern that no one had shown any real interest in taking responsibility for getting WMW off the ground. Based on previous conversations we had about game mechanics and such, Etah told me he felt I would do well. He asked if I would take responsibility for WMW and start getting things going. I agreed and we began to plan. The original site finally got back to us and they more than tripled their rates, and were booked solid throughout the summer. So began the hunt for a place, and much drama ensued. I was unaware of how the bid process worked as I have never been the primary on any event bids in WM, but I was under the impression the event was mine to run, because no one else showed interest. This was a huge mistake on my part and I take full responsibility for that. When I discovered the full details of the process I hurriedly tried to push through all the things that needed to be done, because things like deposits for the site and such were required and non-refundable.

None of that is anyone's burden or responsibility but mine, and I am truly sorry for the confusion and disrespect to process this has caused. I have as some of you know put a guarantee on this event to help alleviate some of the populace's fears about the haste of the situation. That guarantee is that if this event fails to make money I will cover any losses incurred by supporters as well as the kingdom. I am doing this so there is no risk to the kingdom, only a chance to increase the coffers. I am also guaranteeing to supply the traditional $400 seed money left by the last autocrat, as well as committing to helping whoever wants to bid for next years WMW, in any way I can.

My hope is that we will get through this event, and it will be a lot of fun, and then work on making sure the correct procedures are followed in a timely manner next year. In effect learning and improving as we go. In the interest of transparency I am also going to attach my most recent and completed bid/itenerary/budget breakdown for WMW 2015.

Again if anyone has any further questions or concerns please PM/E-mail/call me anytime.

Kalevra Fallstar
Champion of Westmarch

(*edited for spelling and grammar errors. Also uploaded the file with new version for same reasons.)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KalevraFallstar

Re: WMW 2015: An explanation and breakdown.

Postby Laoric » Mon Jul 06, 2015 4:34 am

No one gets things perfect on their first try. The fact that you stepped up is to be commended. Hopefully most of the criticism is constructive and y'all can build on this to make the next round even better.
“I wanna live 'til I die, no more, no less.”
Laoric
Robbie Suxxorz

Re: WMW 2015: An explanation and breakdown.

Postby Randy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:50 am

I don't think you are or should be held accountable financially if the event loses money. Events do that sometimes. Honestly the bid process in Cali is about as clear as mud, the main thing is that you aren't wasting huge sums of money when your not likely to see the return and ensuring that there is a clear accounting of all the money going into and out of the event.
Randy

Return to General Discussion